Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tires
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
usroute66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject: Tires Reply with quote

Fully realize this subject is covered in literally hundreds of responses/replies, in fact more than enough to ware down the patience of this old man to read through every one. Many replies have special circumstances (lowered front end, shortened beam, offsets, e.g.). Because there are so many responses/replies, I'm asking for a simple (e.g. short) answer to the following:
Are there suggested brands/sizes of tires to replace the 165R15's, on my 69KG coupe.

Ghia has what I believe are the original wheels, is not lowered, original (restored) beam. Will consider dropped spindles in the future, depending on how new tires sit in wheel well, clearance, e.g. but not a major factor.

Thanks in advance for any/all responses.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Tires Reply with quote

Short answer:
Michelin XZX.
https://www.cokertire.com/165sr15-michelin-xzx.htm...20by%20SKU
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Tires Reply with quote

I agree, Coker tire is the place.
Although I put the 155r15 size on my car. PO had 165's on the car when I bought it, but they looked too bulgy to me on the little 4.5" wide wheel. Also the 165 doesn't fit in my spare tire location.
https://www.cokertire.com/155r15-firestone-f560-blackwall-tire.html

I've already logged about 1,000 miles on them since I bought them in May of this year, and I'm quite happy with them.

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Angus Dowrie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires Reply with quote

I have a stock height/suspension '63 with the Michelin XZX tyres and I'm very happy with them. I am using BRM wheels which are 15"x 5" all round, and they look right bearing in mind the comment above regarding standard 4.5" wheels.

The 165 radial tyres are considered the modern equivalent of the original cross-ply tyres. However radial tyres just by the different construction have more 'bulge' than the cross-ply. I think that the extra .5" width of wheel perhaps brings it back to the original proportions.

I do have a CSP zero offset disc brake kit on as well at the front, but it doesn't alter the track of the front wheels. I bought the BRMs years ago, they seem to be generally wider now so not sure if the 5" ones are still available.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

sactojesse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Tires Reply with quote

There are some other good options to consider for stock or near stock size tires.

Vredstein Sprint Classic 165HR15, probably the only HR (130 mph) rated tire in that size:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=...ngsReviews

BF Goodrich Radial T/A 155/80R15:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=...mpare1=yes

Keep in mind that either 165R15, 165/80R15, 155R15, 155/80R15 are radial analogs to the original 5.60 x 15 bias ply tires that came with your car. There's not an exact size equivalent. However, the 155s do fit in your spare tire well better. Laughing
mxl556
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires Reply with quote

I replaced 165/80R15's with BF Goodrich Radial T/A 155/80R15 approximately 7 years ago, if not longer. Had the tire shop put white letters on the inside. They have been great and holding up well. The handling is good and these tires do not wear out much. I have approximately 15K miles on them and will probably end up replacing them when they will start showing age and not because of wear.So far they look new and rubber does not have any cracks or signs of aging.

I think 155 size is closer to the original because the car rides, handles and turns better than with 165's. Speedometer is accurate too. My car is stock (73 coupe). Using original steel wheels (4.5x15) with hubcaps.

It is possible that BF Goodrich sold today is not the same quality as what I bought back in 2009-2010, but I am very happy with the ones on my car. Can't beat the price too.

Max
usroute66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: Tires Reply with quote

Thanks for all replies. I bought some 165/80/15s and should have them on by next week.

Thanks again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
doregan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires Reply with quote

Question on Ghia handling and tires.

I recently purchased a 74 Ghia vert with very nice Pedrini rims and 205/60-15 Patriot (?) tires.

Some 45 years ago I had a 67 Ghia coupe with stock tires and rims.

The 67 seemed to handle much better and seemed sportier. Is that due to the 74 having wider tires? The 74 seems so "flat-footed" and almost difficult to drive when cornering.

Am I off base here or would tires close to the original size give me better road feel?

sactojesse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Tires Reply with quote

doregan wrote:
The 67 seemed to handle much better and seemed sportier. Is that due to the 74 having wider tires? The 74 seems so "flat-footed" and almost difficult to drive when cornering.

Am I off base here or would tires close to the original size give me better road feel?

Your 74 is more than 200 lbs heavier (2094 lbs. curb weight vs. 1852 lbs for the '67), due to bigger bumpers and other safety enhancements. However, it does have a IRS, whereas the '67 has the swing-axle rear end. The 1974 has wider tires and a more modern suspension and, thus, should out handle the 1967. My guess is that your impression of "handling" is primarily due to differences in steering feel and increased steering effort required for those 205s up front. Also, the 1967 could be more prone to oversteer due its swing-axle rear end, which feels sportier.
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires Reply with quote

doregan wrote:

Am I off base here or would tires close to the original size give me better road feel? ...

I can't address the tire size aspect of your question, but I will toss a couple of other thoughts out there.

Your 1967 Karmann Ghia was fitted with a rear suspension that was a bit different than the one fitted in your current 1974 Karmann Ghia.
The earlier Ghias featured a swing axle rear suspension which only allows the axle to pivot up and down on the inboard end (nearest the transaxle), while the outboard end of the axle is held to the wheel in a fixed position.
During hard cornering (and over large bumps) when the axle is flexing up or down a significant amount on the inboard end, the wheel is held perpendicular to the axle and must therefore swing up and down along an arc resulting in partial loss of contact between one side of the tire or the other and the road surface.
Beginning with the 1967 model year VW added the Z bar to the swing axle rear suspension which helps to minimize the negative effects of that action, but the handling is still limited by the swing axle's basic design.

The 1974 Karmann Ghia has a redesigned independant rear suspenion (or IRS) that features axle shafts jointed on both the inboard and the outboard ends, and that allows the wheel to stay always perpendicular to the road and the tire to remain in full contact with the pavement at all times.

What all this means is that technically speaking, your 1974 Karmann Ghia is actually capable of handling much better than your old 1967 Ghia.
The wider than stock tires fitted on your '74 will also accentuate the feel of being well planted to the road surface.

So when you say that "The 67 seemed to handle much better and seemed sportier ...", I'd venture a guess that either
- the '67 Ghia's handling is actually significantly better in your memory than it ever was in reality, or

- by "seemed to handle much better and seemed sportier", what you really mean is that the '67 felt much less firmly planted and could be tossed about in a much sketchier but perhaps more thrilling manner. Smile

I suppose another possibility could be that although the nice wide tires currently fitted to your '74 still look very good and show little tread wear, they may however in fact be significantly old (perhaps 10 years old or more).
As the rubber compounds age significantly, there is often an accompanying significant loss of performance which can result in handling that has a rather vague feel.

Speaking from personal experience, you may be shocked to find just how significantly better a car's handling can improve when old tires are replaced with new ones.

It's something to check into, anyway.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires Reply with quote

I think these fine gentleman are just trying to diplomatically say that you are older now, your memory has faded and you drove the 67 with a heavier foot. Wink
Car looks great with the Pedrinis!
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
doregan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.

Maybe it is my memory.'Crying or Very sad'

Since I was single, in grad school, and it was the early seventies, I did have a lot of fun with the 67 Ghia. Maybe it is just the memories.

On the difference in weight between the 67 and 74 (~200 lb), that seems negligible and the VW recommended tire went from 5.60-15 to 6.00-15. The load range would have gone up but probably not substantially (I can't find any info for the old VW tires).

I may swap out the Pedrinis and the 205/60-15 tires for the original 4.5j-15 painted steel rims and something close to the original tire sizes (which are apparently hard to come by). Part of this idea is that I like the classic stock look of the KG. So if you are looking for Pedrinis, they may be available.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Tires Reply with quote

doregan wrote:
Thanks for the replies.

On the difference in weight between the 67 and 74 (~200 lb), that seems negligible

I may swap out the Pedrinis and the 205/60-15 tires for the original 4.5j-15 painted steel rims and something close to the original tire sizes (which are apparently hard to come by).

200lbs is a considerably substantial amount of weight, especially in a car this light and this (cough) underpowered. Supercar manufacturers will brag about knocking 100lbs off of they're 3000lb+ sports cars.

Coker tire is probably your best bet for getting close to the original size. They have 155r15 and 165r15 tires.

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: