Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

ABA OBD1 ECU plug pin 46
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:03 pm    Post subject: ABA OBD1 ECU plug pin 46 Reply with quote

Hi folks.

I know there's at least one other person who will be tackling their wiring harness soon so.....

This seems pretty obvious, but beware that "46" on back and front of ECU plug can look an awful lot like "48" which it is not. Wink

Not every person will choose to repair their harness wires by replacing sections of it but if you are, you'll likely be in there visually confirming wires.

So holding ECU plug with pins facing you:

1 ------- 23
24 ------ 45
46 ------ 68

Neil.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
h00drat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: ABA OBD1 ECU plug pin 46 Reply with quote

I feel like this post was created for me...so while I don't exactly know what it means yet, I wills ave it for later Wink
Engine Conversion Thread (2.0 ABA Swap)
ABA Swap - Image Gallery
Auto Trans Rebuild - Image Gallery
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: ABA OBD1 ECU plug pin 46 Reply with quote

h00drat wrote:
I feel like this post was created for me...so while I don't exactly know what it means yet, I wills ave it for later Wink

heh. Maybe. I know theres at least 2 ABA swaps going on right now... pin 46 hint applies to Motronic or at least to a 68 pin ecu connector.

Maybe the following is my own challenge but I think it might apply to other newbs or even 2nd timers and from my POV, would apply to any ECU wiring harness. This sounds pretty obvious but......

To visually confirm a harness wire ID, I follow it to the back of the ecu connector, then count pins at front of connector. A misread reference number, lost count, turning connector upside-down to do pin count, can cause confusion. (This time 'round I labelled the row numbers with green tape.) Especially if doing this while learning to read Bentley wiring diagrams. BTDT. Wink As well, certain wires at ECU connector may not have been installed at the factory. e.g. MIL, EGR; a blank spot at connector can further confuse matters.

Labeling connectors before cutting wires really helps but again, for a newb, unless you know for sure which connector is for what, you're id'ing wires. e.g. IIRC, the MAF and TPS have the same connector.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: ABA OBD1 ECU plug pin 46 Reply with quote

A couple tips on harness work if one needs to replace any corroded wires.

Though untested as yet, my swap will not use the large round connectors between engine and ECU harnesses. If you do same, keep that part! Some wires/terminals from this connector will fit the ECU connector. And, they have the silicone seal at terminal.

Some wires to my ECU connector were corroded. Though tedious to do, they can be removed using narrow gauge bailing wire. A paper clip might work better for this. I found that the ends had to be sanded a bit so the wire would fit. It may help to slightly bend tip of each wire inward toward where it will contact each locking tab on terminal.

If you're repairing/replacing corroded wires and run out of "sealed" wires, you can cut the silicone seal from a corroded sealed wire then slip that seal onto a non sealed lead then seat the seal into connector by hand.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: ABA OBD1 ECU plug pin 46 Reply with quote

Thanks your information was two weeks too late. I had to figure it out on my own. Smile

I bought two wire connecters with the right pins in them. I cut one of the connecters apart to harvest the pigtails to fix the wires that were broken in my harness when I bought the used Tiico engine. Then I soldered and heat shrunk them into the harness. Your Information is helpful as always. Thanks
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: ABA OBD1 ECU plug pin 46 Reply with quote

heh heh. Oh well. Do you plan to interface engine harness directly to ECU [edit: ECU harness] without a connector?

The one real risk with what I did, which is kind of obvious, is that even though i inspected, cut back, inspected each used wire, there could be corrosion at the other end, I guess. I didn't see any obvious corrosion at the terminal end though.

Nice work. I know that new leads can be purchased but they can be pricey locally IIRC and I didn't want to wait around for them.

If I were to add anything to this, if one has access to a used harness, buy it.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: ABA OBD1 ECU plug pin 46 Reply with quote

I have not yet decided. Power B+ is going to the glow plug fuse. Power key on is a separate connection. Ground goes to the cylinder head. My oil pressure - water temperature and tac from the diesel harness just plug into the engine so I am not sure there any point. All done by the way. The only point in the connector is if I decided to in stall a low coolant light and or the oil buzzer. I will Install a oil pressure gauge. Thanks
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: ABA OBD1 ECU plug pin 46 Reply with quote

Ok. Thanks. Don't know if Tiico uses this part but on the Jetta/Golf Mk3 theres a large 27 or 28 pin connector interfacing engine harness to ECU harness.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: ABA OBD1 ECU plug pin 46 Reply with quote

No. On the Tiico engine the wiring harness is all one harness with only about nine wires that get wired to the van. I think there’s a picture of it on my build thread.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: ABA OBD1 ECU plug pin 46 Reply with quote

82westyrabbit wrote:
No. On the Tiico engine the wiring harness is all one harness with only about nine wires that get wired to the van. I think there’s a picture of it on my build thread.

Ok. Thanks. Missed that detail in your thread. Seems I forgot how to search ..... Wink

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: