Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stock radio repair
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jrm1080
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:59 pm    Post subject: Stock radio repair Reply with quote

After 5 years of driving with nothing but wind noise I finally spent $15 to replace the dry rotted old original speaker. I’d hoped that’d fix it since the radio has power and lights up when turned on. Unfortunately when it’s all hooked up all I get is a very faint static noise no matter what the radio is tuned to.
Anyone rebuild/repair these old stereos or have any other ideas? I want to keep the original one in it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

•’67 Type I mostly original semi daily driver (temperature permitting 🔥☀️)
•’74 Type I work in progress.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock radio repair Reply with quote

I'm going to ask a stupid question... do you have an antenna? If you do, try extending it, it might help.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock radio repair Reply with quote

Someone here had one of these hanging from the rearview mirror. Seems like a cheap option.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01JP2YLSA/ref=mp_s...th+speaker

Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock radio repair Reply with quote

www.vwradios.com
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock radio repair Reply with quote

Jrm1080 wrote:
Anyone rebuild/repair these old stereos or have any other ideas?

Yes, there are places that repair vintage car radios but their services don't come cheap. Because it can cost a couple hundred bucks to get an old radio working again, it's sometimes more cost-effective to just find another one that's already working.

Here's a couple of places that specialize in car radio repair:
http://vwradios.com/Home.html
http://www.classicradio.com/

This place will replace the guts of an old radio with modern components for a vintage look with updated performance:
http://www.turnswitch.com/radio1.htm
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
Jrm1080
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock radio repair Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
I'm going to ask a stupid question... do you have an antenna? If you do, try extending it, it might help.

Yes and Done. 👎🏼

Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock radio repair Reply with quote

I’ve done business with the referral I made. He is cost effective because he’s a one man operation working out of his house.
Jrm1080
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock radio repair Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I emailed both referrals.

Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock radio repair Reply with quote

Come on those Bug Transistor Radios were always Junk and will always be Junk. Ge a nice sound system.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock radio repair Reply with quote

One more thing to try is to adjust the antenna trim, usually hidden behind one of the knobs. Tune to the high end of the band, hopefully hearing something faint, and adjust for highest volume.
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock radio repair Reply with quote

The other thing to check: yes, you may have an antenna, but is it properly installed, and not shorting out somewhere? Trying holding on to the antenna while tuning the radio ...if you get a stronger signal, you know where the problem is ....
FranciscoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock radio repair Reply with quote

you should by one of those radios that look stock but have bluetooth and aux
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:02 am    Post subject: Re: Stock radio repair Reply with quote

Digger89L wrote:
The other thing to check: yes, you may have an antenna, but is it properly installed, and not shorting out somewhere? Trying holding on to the antenna while tuning the radio ...if you get a stronger signal, you know where the problem is ....

I noticed this!! When my radio is on, if the grab the antenna, the volume BOOMS. Do i need a new antenna?
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Stock radio repair Reply with quote

Its an electrical issue. Check and clean the antenna end where it plugs into the radio; check and clean the other end of the antenna where it connects to the antenna mast; make sure the radio is properly grounded (clean the contact point where the radio is grounded to the body of the car). Make sure the antenna is fully extended. If these efforts fail to improve reception, try a different or new antenna. Here's a tip on how to test an antenna.
https://itstillruns.com/test-antenna-ohmmeter-8504269.html
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Stock radio repair Reply with quote

Thank you!
Jrm1080
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock radio repair Reply with quote

FranciscoVW wrote:
you should by one of those radios that look stock but have bluetooth and aux

That might be a plan for my wife’s ‘74. Any recommendations on where to find one?

ScottLakeport
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock radio repair Reply with quote

I have bought two supposedly working 6 volt radios on ebay, but both fail to give any signal to the speaker even when they light up, just frustrating as hell
Looking for my third attempt at a working radio
ScottLakeport
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock radio repair Reply with quote

Jrm1080 wrote:
After 5 years of driving with nothing but wind noise I finally spent $15 to replace the dry rotted old original speaker. I’d hoped that’d fix it since the radio has power and lights up when turned on. Unfortunately when it’s all hooked up all I get is a very faint static noise no matter what the radio is tuned to.
Anyone rebuild/repair these old stereos or have any other ideas? I want to keep the original one in it.

I have really spent a lot of time and a lot of money to get a working Sapphire radio in my car, and I still don't have one that works.

Also have spent a lot of time online trying to chase down knowledge and I think but I am not certain that if you hook one up to anything but a four ohm speaker you will hear nothing. Cannot confirm this though. Maybe your Sapphire actually works and the 15 dollar replacement you tried is an 8 ohm ?
herbie1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:26 am    Post subject: Re: Stock radio repair Reply with quote

Those radio are very cheap, especially if compared to a good blaupunkt or becker or grundig, they have the half of components (transistors, coils, etc.). Often they do not have FM.

Their weakness is in:
- receiving, they have simplified RF circuitation, so sensitivity and selectivity are poor
- amplifying, they often have a single transistor output stage, so they eat a lot of current also with low volume and have small power
- filtering from noises, both from feed (12 or 6V) and electromagnetic, so you have to install a lot of condensers on points, spark plug, flasher, etc., to avoid noises. A good blaupunkt/becker/grundig does not need filters.

Obviously the 3 points I listed require a lot of expehnsive components: inductors, transformers, hi-spec capacitors, etc.

Anyway if the Sapphire has its history in that car has to be preserved.

I'm able to repair and retune those radios, and I'm very cheap, but I live in Italy - Europe, so shipping cost (to and from) is a big issue when dealing with the U.S.
ScottLakeport
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:19 am    Post subject: Re: Stock radio repair Reply with quote

herbie1200 wrote:
Those radio are very cheap, especially if compared to a good blaupunkt or becker or grundig, they have the half of components (transistors, coils, etc.). Often they do not have FM.

Their weakness is in:
- receiving, they have simplified RF circuitation, so sensitivity and selectivity are poor
- amplifying, they often have a single transistor output stage, so they eat a lot of current also with low volume and have small power
- filtering from noises, both from feed (12 or 6V) and electromagnetic, so you have to install a lot of condensers on points, spark plug, flasher, etc., to avoid noises. A good blaupunkt/becker/grundig does not need filters.

Obviously the 3 points I listed require a lot of expehnsive components: inductors, transformers, hi-spec capacitors, etc.

Anyway if the Sapphire has its history in that car has to be preserved.

I'm able to repair and retune those radios, and I'm very cheap, but I live in Italy - Europe, so shipping cost (to and from) is a big issue when dealing with the U.S.

I would love to have a 6 volt radio for my vw that could pick up AM and FM, any brand !
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: