Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

66 father and kids project
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Luck5393
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject: 66 father and kids project Reply with quote

It's hard to believe, but I have kids that will be driving in about a year and a half. My wife and I asked the kids what they wanted to drive, and they al mentioned a bug, so the look for a project car started. I determined that I wanted one from the 60's, and after many missed opertunities finally came across this 66 bug.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The description stated that it started, but tha's about all. Went to look at it and was told it had brake problems. After a week of failed attempts to bring it home, we finally got home. We charged the battery and drove it many times around the back yard (brakes seem to work okay). It came with about 2 boxes of spare parts as well.
Now that the new year is starting, it is time to get started on tearing it down to see what we need to do. Here is the first day of actually doing something

My oldest standing next to it

We decided to tackle the interior first so we could see if floor boards would need to be replaced. Was very excited to see that other than seats, it looks like most of the interior pieces were scattered in the piles of rubbish in the back seat.
After a few hours of removing rubbish, mice nest and droppings, and tar board, we managed to get the passenger side cleaned, and the floor pans look amazing. Sweet victory.

Next will be the drivers side and then the dash and front trunk.
On a side note, there is a random bolt in the front hump that I can't figure out it's purpose. You can see it in the pic. Any idea what it is for?
mikec4193
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: 66 father and kids project Reply with quote

You gotta really clean one...hope you and the kids have fun with it...

MikeC
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 father and kids project Reply with quote

Lots of cleaning to be done for Clean it and then clean it some more. On the missed opportunities, I can relate as we have missed a few good one over the years and passed on many more.
Do source out the correct sheet metal for the engine. Heck the children want a VW right...drop the engine tear it down to a long block. Clean it up too. Interesting high back seats.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 father and kids project Reply with quote

This is an awesome project! When I was 12 my dad picked up my 73 for us to fix up together as my first car. We spent my teenage years in the garage wrenching on it together. So many great memories, and I learned a ton about cars, and life too. I'm 38 now and still have that same car, it's become a family heirloom! I hope you and your kids have a similar experience!
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 father and kids project Reply with quote

Luck5393 wrote:

On a side note, there is a random bolt in the front hump that I can't figure out it's purpose. You can see it in the pic. Any idea what it is for?

Cool Project! Looks very solid!
The "bolt" you are asking about . . . Remove the shifter and look inside the tunnel to see how someone "FIXED" the shift rod bushing.
Parts are readily available to do the repair correctly.
Raisedup58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 father and kids project Reply with quote

Great project.
If you need anything let me know, I’m just down I-15 from you.
What’s your plans for it, paint?
The java green is a great color.
Instagram: Raisedup58
VW's At The Springs
facebook.com/vwsatthesprings
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 father and kids project Reply with quote

Looks like a great project! Super solid too!
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Luck5393
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 father and kids project Reply with quote

Raisedup58 wrote:
Great project.

I really like the Java green color and we plan on going back to it. Also plan on going back to the original white interior as well. Thanks for the offer of help. I'll keep it in mind. Are ther any clubs in the area that you know of?
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 father and kids project Reply with quote

Good score! That Beetle looks like a great start for a restoration. It's pretty rare to find a VW of that vintage with solid original floors outside of CA or the Southwest. Good luck with your project.

Some food for thought: There was a very detailed thread started on here about 5 years ago that chronicled a similar father/daughter build that might be worth reading. To make a long story short (thread is 35 pages), the daughter was very enthusiastic all the way thru the project but in the end decided that she didn't want the car after all. The question of just how safe is a 50+ year old car in the hands of a young driver eventually came up. Stuff like crumple zones, air bags, anti-lock brakes, etc. are nowhere to be found on an old VW. It turned out that the parents of the daughter's friends wouldn't allow their kids to ride around in an old car with no modern safety features and that pretty much killed the whole deal right there. Something to think about...

Here's a link to that thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=524322&highlight=san+diego
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 father and kids project Reply with quote

I agree that it's a great project, but as a daily driver for a new teen driver, I'd think twice or three times about it.

90% of new drivers WILL have a minor (or worse) crunch. Better for that to happen to a beater Honda or Toyota than a fragile bug you poured your efforts into.

I'd make it a longer term project and reward their spotless driving record with the car when they turn 18.
vwfreek61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 father and kids project Reply with quote

The old VW has one safety feature that new cars don't have...It's very difficult to text and drive in an old Beetle.
1987 Vanagon Westy w/Subaru EJ25 and reversed 4EAT
EMPIImp69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: 66 father and kids project Reply with quote

Those are early 90s Wrangler seats
Raisedup58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: 66 father and kids project Reply with quote

Luck5393 wrote:
Raisedup58 wrote:
Great project.

I really like the Java green color and we plan on going back to it. Also plan on going back to the original white interior as well. Thanks for the offer of help. I'll keep it in mind. Are ther any clubs in the area that you know of?

Only actual active club in the east idaho area is old volks.
They have a Facebook page @oldvolksidaho, I also run a page for east idaho @easternidahovolkswagen.
Then I run a big campout every year, you can find that on Facebook you can find that by searching VW’s At The Springs.
We are having a Volkswagen get together in Blackfoot on the 20th also.
Instagram: Raisedup58
VW's At The Springs
facebook.com/vwsatthesprings
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Luck5393
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 father and kids project Reply with quote

It's been a while since I last posted, and since the snow has fallen it has been too wet to work since the bug is now sitting in a mud puddle. I did check the engine and it is a 1600. People have said that there are some anachronisms with the engine. It starts but definitely does not run very well or for very long. While going back to a 1300 would be the ideal, I will probably stick with The 1600 due to cost of the handful of 1300's I've seen. Other than moving the fuel lines and fuel filter to avoid engine fires, what else can people see needs to be done with this set up to keep it stock tooling but more in line of what it needs to run better, just from observations in the picture?
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 father and kids project Reply with quote

First replace/install the cooling hoses from the fan shroud to the muffler/heat exchangers (your left one is missing). This will soon overheat your engine!

I would replace fuel lines (engine bay, next to tranny, and under the tank) and the intake manifold boots. A general tune-up/valve adjustment is a start. Change the oil.

Last edited by KTPhil on Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: 66 father and kids project Reply with quote

Looks like that carb could use a good cleaning....and perhaps a rebuild.
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 father and kids project Reply with quote

Luck5393 wrote:
Other than moving the fuel lines and fuel filter to avoid engine fires, what else can people see needs to be done with this set up?

Looks like you have an '009' mechanical advance distributor on that motor. These don't play well with 34PICT carbs. You'll probably be better off with an SVDA (single vacuum, dual advance) distributor. An original German Bosch '034' would probably be the best choice here. This was discussed recently in another thread on here:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=692765

You'll want to close up that hole in the breastplate just to the right of the crankshaft pulley and get the proper rubber seals for the fresh air hoses.
Install a crankcase vent hose that runs between the oil fill/generator stand and the air filter.
Replace the engine compartment seal (motor needs to come out for this).
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
Jody '71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 father and kids project Reply with quote

Go up to "Technical" and pull up the original '66 Owner's manual in addition the electrical schematic wiring diagram. You may have a '66 converted to 12V. Both are "must haves." If converted to 12V, then look at the '67 wiring diagram.

Another good source is the engine/performance forum here that has an "engine guide" full of pics of different types of VW engines throughout the years. There's a nice one of a '66 engine in stock configuration. That will give you an idea of what one looked like compared to what you have now. Based on your pics supplied, there are many differences that need correcting.

Tom Wilson's book and the Blue Bentley manual are needed as well with your endeavor to get your '66 in tip top shape, best of luck and have fun!!! It also appears that some of the dash switches have been hacked, like the emergency flasher switch and the windshield wipers????
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: 66 father and kids project Reply with quote

Java green with off-white interior will be fantastic.

Porsche 356-style rims, 4.5" wide. Paint them with cream outer section and black inner section to resemble a stock '66 rim scheme- will be a nice understated detail. Yes, you have many other high-priority items to work on first.
Luck5393
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:38 am    Post subject: Re: 66 father and kids project Reply with quote

So it was only slightly below freezing, and I found a few hours to do some work so I convinced my second oldest son to go work on continuing the bug. First I moved it from the giant puddle and mud that it was parked in onto the driveway and traded it places with my car. The goal was to get the dash taken apart and label wires. In the few short hours, and with a 12 year old doing much of the wrenching we managed to get a good portion of the dash taken apart.

I must say that I love the label maker history that some previous owner left. The odometer states it has about 95000 miles, but who knows how long ago the engine was actually rebuilt. The radio is an aftermarket one, and i still have yet to decided what I'm going to do for a radio. Would love to get the correct one, but money may become an issue, but I have about 2 years until it needs to be done.

Then my son decided it would be fun take off the lights in the front and the bumper.

He wanted to start on the engine, but I'm not ready for that quiet yet. It's nice to have it moveable for the time being. But not bad for a 12 year old in freezing weather. It was funny becuase he was not excited about working on it, but once he got started he had a lot of fun.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: