Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Local Part Store Brake Drums 71 Camper Problems!
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dentfreeimage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:56 pm    Post subject: Local Part Store Brake Drums 71 Camper Problems! Reply with quote

Hello everyone, I made a mistake and purchased a set of drums for my 71 camper and after replacing bearings, wheel cylinders, brakes etc the drums are rubbing on the backside of the plates. The plates have not been replaced and are the original parts. I used the old spacers with the new bearings.
Here are the specs of the drums I bought at O'reilly auto parts:

Part # 9153DGS (Made in China) = Main Problem!
Outside Diameter (In): 11.1 Inch
Overall Height (In): 2.800 Inch
Bolt Pattern: 5 On 112mm
Discard Diameter (In): 9.980 Inch
Nominal Diameter (In): 9.930 Inch
Number Of Bolt Holes: 5
Bolt Circle Diameter (mm): 112mm
Surface Depth (In): 2.53 Inch

I have a few original used drums in storage and will see if any of them are worth cutting. Will appreciate if anyone can steer me in the right direction as far as which aftermarket drums to get. I will be taking these back to the parts store to get my $$.

I am also looking for a retaining clip to hold the parking brake cable in place inside the backing plate. I had one of them brake when I took things apart and I can not find a replacement in any store online or off line.
I greatly appreciate everyone's advice!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:49 am    Post subject: Re: Local Part Store Brake Drums 71 Camper Problems! Reply with quote

When you return them , the store will put them right back on the shelf. Good OE drums are still to be had and the best way to go.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Local Part Store Brake Drums 71 Camper Problems! Reply with quote

Find a really hard shim to place between the drum and your spacer. This will give your backing plates the clearance they need.

On the parking cable retainer. A pair of tin snips and some sheet metal should do the trick.

Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Local Part Store Brake Drums 71 Camper Problems! Reply with quote

Stock '71 bus parking brake cable did not use, and did not need any retaining clip.

Where is the drum rubbing? Shimming the bearing stack may not fix the issue if it's rubbing because the Chinese decided that
Vanagon drums are good enough for the earlier Bay busses, just like they decided that Vanagon brake shoes are good enough
for the Bays. See thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=643031

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
dentfreeimage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Local Part Store Brake Drums 71 Camper Problems! Reply with quote

Thank you guys for the advice. kreemoweet made me think and go to the garage and snap some pictures. I am going to say that they are rubbing because they are not the correct drum for it as the link on his post suggests.

The pics show clearly the larger lip on the drum rubbing against the backing plate. Before I order the correct drums, I will stop by the storage and get the stock ones I removed and make sure they are not rubbing.
After doing some searching here I found that the OMC brand drums will be a good fit and will order them online and returning these back to the local parts store.
By the way the parking brake retaining clips seem to be very old, this is my first bus and my thoughts were that it was part of the bus. They seemed like they were there from the factory (long time) I installed one clip and was searching for the other one. But I will remove it if they are not needed.
Thanks again for the great advice!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: