Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My coffee pot tips over! The horror. >ready to purchase<
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
9.5isCanadian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: My coffee pot tips over! The horror. >ready to purchase< Reply with quote

Since my interest is still captivated by this little project. I got creative.

Came up with this.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Wanted it to look like a sketch drawing, hence the not uniform petals or arcs.

Sadly they take almost twice as much time in the machine to make so for sure not a $40 part.
Looks neat though.

1987 Getaway Hightop
1980 Sunroof Vanagon
2018 BMW R Nine T
2012 Golf tdi
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: My coffee pot tips over! The horror. >ready to purchase< Reply with quote

Mighty Van wrote:
The brass looks the coolest. Just say'n... Cool

I'm still waiting for mine to arrive... Laughing
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: My coffee pot tips over! The horror. >ready to purchase< Reply with quote

9.5isCanadian wrote:

Any concern that a polished surface may be a tad slippy?

I didn’t think of that. But now that I have I’m not too concerned.

Nice daisies!

p.s. it just occurred to me that threads like this separate full campers from weekenders and tin-tops. Interesting.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: My coffee pot tips over! The horror. >ready to purchase< Reply with quote

The flowers are too happy and delightful. If you come up with weathered and wilted I'd think about it
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:12 am    Post subject: Re: My coffee pot tips over! The horror. >ready to purchase< Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
p.s. it just occurred to me that threads like this separate full campers from weekenders and tin-tops. Interesting.

But wait! I have a Tin-Top, with a full kitchen set-up!
Can I still play too? Can I still be in the Cool Kids Club?
I even ordered the expensive ones!
Please?
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: My coffee pot tips over! The horror. >ready to purchase< Reply with quote

I thought Weekenders were the cool kids.

Abscate wrote:

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: My coffee pot tips over! The horror. >ready to purchase< Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
I thought Weekenders were the cool kids.

Those are westenders
ChilliConCarnage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: My coffee pot tips over! The horror. >ready to purchase< Reply with quote

Just ordered.... Hope I'm not too late!
03 Passat V6 4Motion

Sold:
62 T2 Double Door panel
72 T2 7-passenger
98 Jetta
97 Passat VR6
87 Audi 5000
9.5isCanadian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: My coffee pot tips over! The horror. >ready to purchase< Reply with quote

ChilliConCarnage wrote:
Just ordered.... Hope I'm not too late!

Your set is going out with the other two sets with today's mail

Have a great weekend.

Where's the pictures of all these sets?
Some one must have a picture of their Brass Ball'r set.

Question

1987 Getaway Hightop
1980 Sunroof Vanagon
2018 BMW R Nine T
2012 Golf tdi
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: My coffee pot tips over! The horror. >ready to purchase< Reply with quote

Daisy's are $40 as well? Any chance of a snowflake? Me like'em winter!

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
9.5isCanadian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: My coffee pot tips over! The horror. >ready to purchase< Reply with quote

jackbombay wrote:

Actually I was going to sell the Daisy ones for 50 not much more but that offset the extra machine time. I do have one set ready to go.

I really want to do a peace sign version and a peace symbol set too.

1987 Getaway Hightop
1980 Sunroof Vanagon
2018 BMW R Nine T
2012 Golf tdi
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: My coffee pot tips over! The horror. >ready to purchase< Reply with quote

9.5isCanadian wrote:
Actually I was going to sell the Daisy ones for 50... I do have one set ready to go.

Paypal coming your way now Cool

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: My coffee pot tips over! The horror. >ready to purchase< Reply with quote

jackbombay wrote:

Snowflakes sound nice too!

I can't say I'm enthusiastic about a peace symbol, maybe a peace sign but both sound a bit cliche to me. There's a vote of one. They'll also probably become your best-seller. Very Happy

I'll post a pic when I get around to polishing them.

Cheers.

Abscate wrote:

Farfromslow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: My coffee pot tips over! The horror. >ready to purchase< Reply with quote

My pricier set in Ellie, thanks again
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: My coffee pot tips over! The horror. >ready to purchase< Reply with quote

Ok ya I want the brass. I need 2 people to buy in with me!
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: My coffee pot tips over! The horror. >ready to purchase< Reply with quote

Mine arrived: just look at them…

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
9.5isCanadian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: My coffee pot tips over! The horror. >ready to purchase< Reply with quote

That’s a mighty fine look’n cooker you got there Paul.

Cool

Paulbeard wrote:

elizer wrote:
I need 2 people to buy in with me!

Even one other person would be enough. I’d put the third set in my van.

Owen

1987 Getaway Hightop
1980 Sunroof Vanagon
2018 BMW R Nine T
2012 Golf tdi
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: My coffee pot tips over! The horror. >ready to purchase< Reply with quote

Paulbeard wrote:

Have you ever used the stove? I can see the original blue plastic protector on the 'drainer'. Wink
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: My coffee pot tips over! The horror. >ready to purchase< Reply with quote

fxr wrote:

Have you ever used the stove? I can see the original blue plastic protector on the 'drainer'. Wink

Um, yes, I have. And I'm sure the various POs did too.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: My coffee pot tips over! The horror. >ready to purchase< Reply with quote

Greetings all,

I received my aluminum VW trivets about a week ago and put them to use this week during a long road trip to Big Bend National Park in southwest Texas. They snapped into place in my galley stovetop just as expected.

Over the past week I served meals to five fellow hiking friends, so I had a lot of chances to use these and get to know how they function in a practical sense. I cook a lot in my van--multiple daily meals for about 100 days per year--and I cook for groups all the time, so anything related to cooking gets extra scrutiny from me. My van is known as the chuck wagon.

The greatest benefit these trivets offered was a greater surface area for supporting cookware on the stove top. Too often the pot you choose is small, or the rolling boil of water moves the pot too much, or people entering/exiting the van cause the pot to shift, or you can't get a good, level parking spot to stabilize the cooking process. I have also noted that the trivets impart a little more friction between the pot and the stove, so that the pot tends to slip less from the influence of outside forces (rocking van due to folks getting in/out, or rocking due to boiling water).

My best performer with the trivets was the GSI Glacier 1qt. stainless tea kettle. This kettle has a small footprint and a flat bottom that works well with the trivets.

The worst performer was a stainless utility bowl that was also once a dog food bowl. Although one could say it has a nominally flat bottom, that bowl actually had a slightly convex bottom, and when it was used to heat water with the trivets the bowl started to dance on the trivets in such a way as to make boiling with the trivets and that bowl very hazardous. The risk of the bowl bouncing off the stove was great. My advice for this scenario is simply to make sure your cookware has a very flat bottom.

In other areas, like when using my Magma 10-piece cookware, the trivets worked as designed and helped keep pots on the stove due to friction. They also reduced hot spots in cookware due to their diffusing qualities.

In a final test I used a Lodge LDP3 griddle to make pancakes. Having the trivets in place made the griddle heat up much slower. I took them off and the griddle worked normally.

In essence, these trivets act like diffusers in their current design. They can absorb heat and cause your cooking experience to be slower but more even, due to conduction of heat, which has benefits and drawbacks. I liked this diffusing quality when heating pita bread or tortillas over the fire, or when I needed to reheat a frozen dish where a slower, even heat was called for. It was a problem when I was cooking with heavier (cast iron) cookware--the cast iron has so much mass that it really needs to be in direct contact with the stove flame.

The VW design is priceless, and worth every cent, but if I were making these I would also offer a design that allows maximum burner flame exposure to the bottom of the pot the trivet is supporting. I imagine that design would look somewhat like a target shape, with concentric rings, designed with spaces measured for efficient flame passage through the ring spaces. The "peace" symbol might also be a good shape for a direct heat design, or a simple cross shape. Perhaps sell one of each design as part of a set (one diffusing design [VW shape] and one direct heat design [target shape]). That might give you the best of both worlds. The flower design might be the ticket. The fact that these things slip on and off of the stove grate with relative ease is a great design feature.

Please accept this as positive and constructive feedback. I love what you've done for the Vanagon community. All my camping friends wanted to wear these trivets around their necks when I wasn't cooking with them. I told them to keep their hands off my trivets and offered to use them as branding irons if they messed with my van. We had fun with them, both in a genuine cooking application and as elements of van paraphenalia.

Keep up the good work. I am glad to have these trivets.

kourt
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10

Jump to: