Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

4 wheel disc upgrade
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SixtyThreeRag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:14 am    Post subject: 4 wheel disc upgrade Reply with quote

Is it possible to stop on a dime with 15" wheels running 185's on the front and 195's on the rear?

I've got stock font disc/rear drum at the moment and they seem to lock up to easily. I feel like I need more braking power and better modulation. What's the best out there for street car use?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: 4 wheel disc upgrade Reply with quote

Is the problem mostly with the front?

Things that can make lock-up more likely:

To much pressure. What PSIs are you running front and back?

Shorter than stock tires. A smaller tire OD gives the brakes more "leverage" on the tread / road surface. Stock brakes are designed for stock-height tires. What profile are your 185s and 195s?

Smaller contact patch. Your 185s (almost any profile) should offer enough contact on the road to be sufficient. But people running tiny fronts because their car is slammed can have contact patch issues.

Max
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SixtyThreeRag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: 4 wheel disc upgrade Reply with quote

Max Welton wrote:
Is the problem mostly with the front?

Things that can make lock-up more likely:

To much pressure. What PSIs are you running front and back?

Shorter than stock tires. A smaller tire OD gives the brakes more "leverage" on the tread / road surface. Stock brakes are designed for stock-height tires. What profile are your 185s and 195s?

Smaller contact patch. Your 185s (almost any profile) should offer enough contact on the road to be sufficient. But people running tiny fronts because their car is slammed can have contact patch issues.

Max

I've got a 2" narrowed beam on it. The tires are 55 series. I run the tires at about 25 psi.

I've recently installed a proportioning valve as well to help bias the front/rear braking power since the front seems to lock up too early and it helped a but but I'm still not satisfied with it.
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: 4 wheel disc upgrade Reply with quote

Yeah with those short tires your front brakes are actually too powerful.

I also think you could reduce the front pressure some ... try 20 PSI and see if that helps.

Max
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bhartwell59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: 4 wheel disc upgrade Reply with quote

SixtyThreeRag wrote:
I've got stock font disc/rear drum at the moment and they seem to lock up to easily. I feel like I need more braking power and better modulation. What's the best out there for street car use?

I'm interested in this too... my front disc's do lock up sometimes.

I run 20/front 28/rear
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 4 wheel disc upgrade Reply with quote

concur with Max, lower the tire pressure. Smile
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 4 wheel disc upgrade Reply with quote

Also check the adjustment on the rear drums. Snug them right up. They need to be doing their part.

When the brakes lock, the fronts should lock first. But the rears should be very very close to locking.

I've been known to grab some e-brake to get some extra rear brake action in certain circumstances. Wink

Max
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 4 wheel disc upgrade Reply with quote

What are you running for shocks on your car? If you are using standard oil shocks in the fronts and the fronts are the ones locking up you could try putting a soft gas shock like a KYB GR-2 shock in to slow down the rear to front weight transfer under braking.

brad
VeloMikey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 4 wheel disc upgrade Reply with quote

I have Wilwood calipers on all four coners with stock style Ghia rotors on the front and Empi rotors on the rear. It is disappointing for the money you will spend. I wanted to go with Type III brakes but to do it right was over $1000 to piece it all together from ISP West and the Old Speed kit was $1250 with out E Brake cables. I have a dual circuit master and stainless soft lines too. I would search the classifieds for complete Type III brakes and try that out first. You can always resell it and go for the discs if you don't like the stopping power.

Ghia Build Thread https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768748
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 4 wheel disc upgrade Reply with quote

The off-road guys use the larger front drum wheel cylinders in the rear to increase rear brake bias & this method is also used in conjunction with the larger type III shoes & drums.

Wheel cylinders are pretty cheap.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 4 wheel disc upgrade Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
The off-road guys use the larger front drum wheel cylinders in the rear to increase brake pressure in the rear & this method is also used in conjunction with the larger type III shoes & drums.

Wheel cylinders are pretty cheap.

That effectively rebalances the brake bias for the rear and makes them work a little harder. That’s important I have learned. My previous Ghia, a 61 coupe, came to me with added front disks and drum rears. That car would regularly let go at the front because the rears weren’t working hard enough. It didn’t matter the profile size at the front, it was a badly engineered set up and dangerous in the wet. I wasn’t going put up with that for long.

A different situation goes for the CSP four wheel disk set on my current Ghia. You get a larger MC in that setup to match the increased pressure disk calipers need and not have excessive pedal pressure. I’ve found stopping in urban areas, where pedestrians, cyclists and parked cars sometimes jump into your path, is never a problem with the CSP brakes and performace is equally as good as modern cars. Mine has 185 profile tyres all the way around. CSP are more expensive than many are willing to pay but all the engineering is done and it comes with TÜV certification. So its built to meet a standard. I guess that’s where the extra expense is justified.
Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Last edited by sputnick60 on Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 4 wheel disc upgrade Reply with quote

Stronger (type-3) brakes on the back will help, mainly because the front to rear braking is currently not balanced.

Having the front tires shorter than the rears makes the tendency of the fronts to lock first more pronounced.

Max
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: