Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do to your Beetle this week?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 276, 277, 278 ... 314, 315, 316  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:58 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Flushed my braking system with alcohol and replaced my DOT 3 fluid with DOT 5. Used a vacuum bleeder and got all the cruddy fluid out. Then ran isopropyl through the whole system. Flushed that out and started pouring in the DOT 5.
Took 4 bleed cycles to get clean purple fluid, but I have very firm braking, and now don’t have to worry about moisture or ruined paint as much.
HippyTom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Bought a roof rack from a VW buddy that happens to be painted to match my car. I'll sand and stain the wood deep cherry and clear the heck out of it. I've had a rack on my 62 for 12 years. Love it. Really love period accessories. Now the hunt for stuff to put on it.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
FranciscoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

burn it out of frustration Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HippyTom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Was getting my 62 Bug ready last night for a show that we had to leave at 5:20 am this morning to go to. I haven't driven it in a while, so battery was dead. And heaters weren't hooked up and it's been cold (for Florida).

So I plugged up the charger, unblocked the heat tubes and connected the hoses under the back seat, fixed a clamp on the exhaust, and when I started it I smelled gas really strong. I popped the hood and my fuel pump was dumping gas like crazy. A big puddle on the garage floor.

So late last night I'm pulling the distributor and replacing the fuel pump. Fortunately I keep a couple extra on the shelf with insulator blocks, gaskets, rods, etc. Since it's a shorter pump, I had to change the rod out too. Cranked it up and runs great, no leaks. I eyeballed the timing using marks I had made previously. Drove it to the shows (2 this morning) and now back. It pays to keep extra stuff on hand. I've got another extra fuel pump set-up in my tool bag in the car.
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Replaced speedo cable. Old one was squealing and the needle jumping around like crazy. From the looks of it, the old one was the original one from 1962. Pretty good to have lasted all this time.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
Fozzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Got it actually running and driving enough to call it a running and driving VW. The starter bushing was (crosses fingers) THE starting issue with this car. Got a spacer for the carb to raise it ( I NEVER noticed the carb accelerator pump was jammed into the new Alternator) Worked and worked on carb settings and the timing and now she runs what I consider damned well.. and has acceleration! Razz

71 Tin Top Westy
Adopted Dec or so 2017
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

79SuperVert wrote:
Replaced speedo cable. Old one was squealing and the needle jumping around like crazy. From the looks of it, the old one was the original one from 1962. Pretty good to have lasted all this time.

I serviced my speedo this afternoon, details in Andy's speedo thread.

It was bouncing pretty good prior to my disconnecting the cable months ago.

Why did I not just replace the cable first? Because when it first occurred, I had pulled the speedo and put some MMO into connector for the cable, let it sit, and then reinstalled. This improved the situation somewhat but not to my satisfaction. At any rate, this pointed to the speedo and not the cable as the culprit.

When I have some more time and it's not freezing cold here (almost 50F today) I'll reinstall the speedo cable and see if the needle bounce is gone (I had disconnected it at the wheel, as well, so it wouldn't rotate for nothing). If not, then it's a cable replacement.
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Took the 6V AGM battery out of the car and put it on a charger. The cold has been hard on it, based on the sluggishness of the starting lately.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
Gearshift
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

I'm putting my 62 back together after three years of on again off again restoration. Is there a pan to body tightening sequence? My doors aren't aligning like I would like them to, so I'm thinking I didn't tightening them correctly.
HippyTom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Gearshift wrote:
I'm putting my 62 back together after three years of on again off again restoration. Is there a pan to body tightening sequence? My doors aren't aligning like I would like them to, so I'm thinking I didn't tightening them correctly.

When I did my 62, i shimmed the doors in line on the body with wooden shims good and tight and kept them closed as I put the body on. Then I loosely started all of the bolts all the way around. Then I tightened the bolts on each side of the A and B pillars on each side first then worked my way to the front on each side then the back. Not sure if it matters but that worked for me. If you still have alignment issues you can loosen the hinge bolts and tweak the alignment slightly.
HippyTom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Today on my 62 Hippy Bug, I changed the gear oil in the transaxle, adjusted the brakes all the way around, adjusted the steering box to remove excess play, I raised the front a tad on the adjustable beam, and I rewired the drivers side front turn signal and replaced the rubber boot on it.

Tomorrow I need to reindex the steering wheel on the 62 and then on the 63 change the gear oil in the transaxle. Might adjust the valves on the 63 too.

A fun weekend in the garage doing maintenance on my bugs.
HippyTom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

On the 62 I took the steering wheel off and reindexed it and the turn signal switch. Geez, I never thought I'd get that 27mm nut loose!!! I sprayed some pb blaster and let it soak. Then used a pipe to jam the steering wheel and a breaker bar on the wrench. Got it back on and fixed the horn where I could beep it using either side of the horn ring.

63 I changed the transaxle gear oil.
iancorado
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

overriders on the front and a better bumper on the back. Also installed the rain guard/wind deflectors on the doors.

HippyTom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Bumpers look great!!! I love the rain guards on my 63. My dad had them on it when I was a kid so I put them on when I restored it. I'm sure you'll like them.
Thread
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Went and checked on how the repainting was going. I'd say it's going well, this was a day after it was in the spray booth.

HippyTom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

^^^ Love the color!!! Is it a VW color (code??) or a custom color?
Thread
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

HippyTom wrote:
^^^ Love the color!!! Is it a VW color (code??) or a custom color?

Savannah Beige. Original for a 67 and the original color for this car. L620 is the color code
Bzonic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject: This week Reply with quote

I focused on removing the interior pieces for detail cleaning in my warm basement. I feel like I'm getting pretty close to calling this new to me 64 "done". Just need to wait til spring and I will try to buff out some of the og paint oxidation. Installed correct distributer w vacuum advance - the previous EMPI w/ electronic ignition was giving me issues (PO install) I also discovered that I've got the dreaded long studs attached to my rocker arm assembly. Circle shaped bosses confirm it.

slave1pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Weather is beautiful here in SoCal today, so I finished hangin the doors on Ol’ Herb

Currently:
1963 Ragtop Beetle
Previously:
1967 Beetle
1968 Beetle
1970 Beetle
nreslifer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Got me Sapphire 2 back from being serviced and reinstalled it yesterday,volume don"t fade in and out and I can pick up my favorite station WXPN out of Philly.If anyone needs radio work I'll give you the name of the guy that did mine he's in New Jersey,very reasonable prices and he knows his stuff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 276, 277, 278 ... 314, 315, 316  Next
Jump to:
Page 277 of 316

Jump to: