Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

door step pad
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SBL74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:23 am    Post subject: door step pad Reply with quote

Does anyone have experience with this bay window step pad?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I do not see how it would fit into this place on my 1973. The product is squared-off, whereas the space is not. It also seems like the curve angle is wrong. I also don't know what that notch is for. Nothing that I see gets into that notch space.

steve
Westfalia73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: door step pad Reply with quote

I have no experience with that product but it looks ok.

someone has filled in the holes in your step where the pad would "clip" in so to speak, either welded them up or used filler.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: door step pad Reply with quote

your bay has been altered as the last poster mentioned. There are holes the pad pops into
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: door step pad Reply with quote

Unless you must have the OEM look and because you are missing the holes the OEM style pad snaps into, just get some rubber flooring, cut it to shape, and glue it down.
SBL74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: door step pad Reply with quote

I will probably try to modify the new pad. Can someone send me a picture of what this area is supposed to look like?
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: door step pad Reply with quote

SBL74 wrote:
I will probably try to modify the new pad. Can someone send me a picture of what this area is supposed to look like?

skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: door step pad Reply with quote

your step box is carved out of filler by the looks of it, and I doubt a OE pad would lay right in there

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
SBL74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: door step pad Reply with quote

Ah, I see, thanks. I bet a plate was welded in and then finished.

Anyway, I might be able to make it work by cutting off the inserts on the back.

I notice your pad turned upside down in the pic. The rear of the pad is not a right angle relative to the 2 sides, but the Mid America part is. Still makes me wonder if that part is correct.
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: door step pad Reply with quote

SBL74 wrote:
Ah, I see, thanks. I bet a plate was welded in and then finished.

Anyway, I might be able to make it work by cutting off the inserts on the back.

I notice your pad turned upside down in the pic. The rear of the pad is not a right angle relative to the 2 sides, but the Mid America part is. Still makes me wonder if that part is correct.

The Mid-America pad is a right side pad, and it is correct.

The straight edge is outboard against door opening, the skinny inboard curved edge is forward, the wide inboard curved edge is rearward.

Here is another shot, driver's side. Note: skinny curved edge is inboard forward. Wide curved edge is inboard rearward. Straight edge is against door opening:

otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: door step pad Reply with quote

Cut the posts off under the pad and just glue it down. It will look correct. I welded up the holes on my Syncro and did the same. Will do this on the bus eventually.

Just a regular guy
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: door step pad Reply with quote

otiswesty wrote:
Cut the posts off under the pad and just glue it down. It will look correct. I welded up the holes on my Syncro and did the same. Will do this on the bus eventually.

To prevent rust, I install my pads with no adhesive. There is a seam directly under the pads.
You could paint the bottom edges of the "posts" on the pad, lay pad down in correct position to index the holes.
Colin
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: door step pad Reply with quote

I too have closed off the holes in my step to lessen corrosion. Not sure what the backing to the replacement pads is like but maybe they could be installed with velcro so that they would be removable and the area underneath could be cleaned from time to time.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: door step pad Reply with quote

Just get some of the 3M step pad stuff from any hardware or marine supply. It comes in grey or black. One side is sticky ready to apply. No one will notice. GatorSkinz would be close. You just cut it to fit.

SBL74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: door step pad Reply with quote

Amskeptic,

So, that leaves a triangular open area in the rear. Wider at the car edge vs the interior of the car. Seems like the rear should not be at a right angle. Correct?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: