Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Alternator to replace old Generator
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:07 pm    Post subject: New Alternator to replace old Generator Reply with quote

Anyone know anything about these alternators I want to replace the gen in my bus and all I have is an old Motorola that needs an external reg and am thinking about trading it in on one of these?
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=671469
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm.....OG quality made by fairly paid (for the time) people who gave a damn about thier work?, or something whipped up by a guy supplied with the cheapest possible parts making .25c a day?,,,,,,hmmm.....

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan - unless you have a need for more than 38 amps - I went 400,000 miles only using 2 38 amp generators and the one that went bad was my own fault because I drove it too far with bad brushes.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I am going to need something for my spare engine I am building. I can try my old Motorola Alt and hope it works but I need to make some new brushes for it and buy a external voltage regulator for it. I think those cheep external universal regulators at any auto parts store will work, don't know why they wouldn't.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Brionp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/quote]
I hate it. It's sticking its tongue out at me.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danwvw wrote:
Well I am going to need something for my spare engine I am building. I can try my old Motorola Alt and hope it works but I need to make some new brushes for it and buy a external voltage regulator for it. I think those cheep external universal regulators at any auto parts store will work, don't know why they wouldn't.
[]

Why buy more mysterious Chinese crap when OG is ~ $20? : http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?...ton=Search (it's the same as the expensive bug one but with a different plug, you move a few wires around to make it work).
Brushes are easy to get from a power tool repair shop, the spares that came with my last disposable Chinese sawzall were a perfect fit. (yes I'll risk $20 on a power tool as a spare, an alternator is a lot harder to swap out in the middle of a job Wink ).

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not know about the Bus Alternator External Regulators, Good to know. Thanks. And I found these brushes: http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/1974/volkswagen/beetle/engine_electrical/alternator_brush_set.html
So maybe I will give the old Motorola Alternator a shot. Just need to figure out a way to test it ahead of time. I have a bell housing but need to find a starter then test run the spare engine out of the Bus with the Motorola Alternator.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the external VR it might take some creative wiring but I'll bet you could easily bench test that alternator using an electric drill to spin it up.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Idea!
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:57 am    Post subject: Using an Old Motorola Alternator. Reply with quote

Danwvw wrote:
Found this link on wiring the Motorola Alternator: Speedy Jim's
and this site for a external regulator the one used in the VW Bus: Autohausaz It's about $32.00 but could not find the Brush assembly for the alternator so will just unsolder the bushes in the old holder and put in new ones which are still available.

Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: New Alternator to replace old Generator Reply with quote

Rock Auto for 1974 VW Beetle Alternator Brushes: https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/volkswagen,197...brush,2424
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject: Alternator Light Flicker? Reply with quote

It's been a while the old Motorola Alternator I've been running now for 4 years and 20K miles started to flicker the lights a little. I pulled the brushes and as I always find alternator brushes one was worn down. I ordered the FX45 ones from RockAuto and found they did not fit. So I sanded them a bit and used one anyhow. Still have a bit of a flicker it happens with the RPM almost like one of the diodes in the alternator may be out. Not sure what is going on. Still making 14 volts though.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: New Alternator to replace old Generator Reply with quote

did you polish the slip rings? Make sure the brushes were loose enough the whole way not to hang a little?
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: New Alternator to replace old Generator Reply with quote

I like the external regulator alternators - the regulator is outside where you can get at it - without pulling the engine! I'd do whatever it takes to fix it.
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: New Alternator to replace old Generator Reply with quote

Yes I sanded the brushes to fit the holder just right. No Did not polish the rings as they are almost impossible to reach for me without removing the alternator. I guess I will have to pull the alternator at some point. Those slip rings weren't in the best shape to begin with. But the flicker has a rate to it. Faster the engine revs the faster the flicker. Perhaps it's the voltage regulator that is failing or perhaps there is a connection in the alternator or in my wiring heating up and causing some kind of feedback causing it.
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: New Alternator to replace old Generator Reply with quote

Could be the regulator - if it's a mechanical type. If so, open it up and drag a narrow strip of 400 or 60 wet-or-dry sandpaper across all of the contact points, and see if that fixes it up. If that fixes it, good. But do the slip rings anyhow. Will help keep from chewing up another set of brushes...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: New Alternator to replace old Generator Reply with quote

It uses a generic solid state alternator vr.

Found these photos from when I rebuilt the alternator 4 years ago:
The rings:

The vr is visable mounted where the old generator regulator mounts in the 71 Bus:

telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: New Alternator to replace old Generator Reply with quote

OK, in that case, check to be sure the trannie ground strap is solid, and that the regulator is well grounded. If there's any voltage drop between the engine and regulator grounds, it will affect the alternator output voltage.
mattlockwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: New Alternator to replace old Generator Reply with quote

Danwvw wrote:
Anyone know anything about these alternators I want to replace the gen in my bus and all I have is an old Motorola that needs an external reg and am thinking about trading it in on one of these?
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=671469

Ive been running this alternator in my 70 Bay for 2 1/2years with no problems at all.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0094JJ6R6/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: New Alternator to replace old Generator Reply with quote

About all I can do is change it out but it's working for now just don't want it to fail on a trip! I suppose there is a way to tell if all the windings are there using a scope. I'll probably just pull the whole alternator and open it and pull out those diodes and look for a broken connection with them.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: