Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wolfsburg Crest Copyright
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:28 pm    Post subject: Wolfsburg Crest Copyright Reply with quote

Does anyone know if the Wolfsburg Crest is copyrighted or trademarked? I was thinking about making and selling shirts with them on it, but if I'm going get a cease and desist, I'm not even going to try.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg Crest Copyright Reply with quote

They are making & selling every different kind of custom T shirt on facebook, so I would not worry about it.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg Crest Copyright Reply with quote

Oh okay, we'll see what happens. When I put it in the designer, it said it might have been copyrighted, but I searched Wolfsburg in the German Copyright and trademark system and didn't see the crest. I hope it works...
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg Crest Copyright Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
Oh okay, we'll see what happens. When I put it in the designer, it said it might have been copyrighted, but I searched Wolfsburg in the German Copyright and trademark system and didn't see the crest. I hope it works...

You should go to eBay and look at all the stuff coming out of china, do you think they worry about trademarks or copyrights? We are being flooded with stuff, no way can their lawyers keep up. The American consumers have no loyalty they shop price alone, many here in love with harbor freight but also wave the American flag and pretend to be patriotic. It’s a free for all, make your shirts and don’t look back. Very Happy
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg Crest Copyright Reply with quote

I'm not aware of a copyright on that and I have seen other people reproducing it in the past.

I'm not sure how much VW cracks down at the moment either but I will say if you get any sort of email, ignore it. If it comes registered mail and you have to sign for it, then you might have a problem.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg Crest Copyright Reply with quote

Okay, sounds good. I'll click the "I have permission" button.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg Crest Copyright Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
They are making & selling every different kind of custom T shirt on facebook, so I would not worry about it.

Yes...they are copyrighted. And....my business is screen printing.....of all types. I have been into right about 4000 shops and plants......and yes VW (especially) and Porsche....police this unceasingly.

Lots of small shit head shops get away with this type of theft on FB and ebay.... and many more get eaten alive.

Get permission.....period. If you printed one of my logos without permission or payment or royalty....if I couldn't sue you I would hunt you down and beat you with a pipe.

Don't be part of the problem. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg Crest Copyright Reply with quote

Took less than five minutes to find this, VW does not control the Wolfsburg logo, it is the flag and coat of arms for the city of Wolfsburg, this was copied over from the city information.

Wolfsburg and its coat of arms:

"Wolfsburg received its coat of arms along with its name, which is why the name of the city can be clearly seen on it: a wolf standing atop a castle.
The castle does not represent one building in particular; rather it is symbolic of the term “castle”, acting as a reminder of Wolfsburg Castle. The waves below the castle represent the Aller, the river that runs through Wolfsburg.
The coat of arms is a sign of sovereignty and may only be used on certain documents or materials after being granted approval from the City."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg Crest Copyright Reply with quote

busman78 wrote:
Took less than five minutes to find this, VW does not control the Wolfsburg logo, it is the flag and coat of arms for the city of Wolfsburg, this was copied over from the city information.

Wolfsburg and its coat of arms:

"Wolfsburg received its coat of arms along with its name, which is why the name of the city can be clearly seen on it: a wolf standing atop a castle.
The castle does not represent one building in particular; rather it is symbolic of the term “castle”, acting as a reminder of Wolfsburg Castle. The waves below the castle represent the Aller, the river that runs through Wolfsburg.
The coat of arms is a sign of sovereignty and may only be used on certain documents or materials after being granted approval from the City."

You are correct....VW does not control the logo.....but by default of design and international copyright law....it is copyrighted.

But.....as with all country flags and most national crests....I do not think one single country has an issue so for sure it would be no problem to use and reproduce the Wolfsburg crest.

The thing people have to remember is that if someone (person, company, corporate entity)....designs a logo, graphic etc....for print or electronic publication and have dated documentation that they in fact designed it.....its copyrighted. They have the copyright. There is technically no need to apply for or file for copyrights.....although if you really plan to go after people who steal your work....and it is theft.....then you should file a copyright.

It is a VAST problem in the commercial printing and design industry.....and its not just logos.....and the Chinese aspect of copyrighted work theft.....is not actually the major part of it right now. It was in the near past.

Right now....the largest group of logo, rendering and copyrighted material theft is right here in North America.....mostly in the United states.

T-shirt and textile wise....with the huge explosion of cheap inkjet based vinyl and plastisol transfer printers and the advent of large and small internet sales houses (Custom ink, T-spring and Cafe press to name a few big ones).....literally thousands of private home businesses have sprung up that both feed the big houses mentioned and sell direct.

The nifty software on their sites.....can take a screen grab from anywhere in Google images...and in one second....display it on the garment of your choice with a person in it. No need for photoshop. There is specific software for just this printed garment display.

You order it.....they rip it right off the net.....anywhere...any site....copyright or not...and can havd it printed and out the door overnight. All manner of items from plastic items witj decals, nylons and polyester plastic items with sublimation.

There is also several large networks for poster, art photos and decal reprints....using a slew of fake named, online shell companies ripping off vast quantities of copyrighted work. This is also starting to creep into the low end of the printed electronics segment that I work in.

Most of the stolen work we are seeing...is NOT from China. Its from little greedy Americans working out of their homes. Ray
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg Crest Copyright Reply with quote

The last line of what I copied over says it all,

The coat of arms is a sign of sovereignty and may only be used on certain documents or materials after being granted approval from the City
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg Crest Copyright Reply with quote

Through the years I’ve seen people selling tee shirts at VW car shows and they came back year after year never got hassled by VW. Other vendors selling vinyl stickers, bumper stickers etc. again no problem the VW hitmen left them alone.

Several years ago I bought a nice shirt which had a large color photo of a 36hp engine, I love it. When I stop and think about it I have no qualms reproducing VW manuals or tech literature because they sure as hell don’t offer me any support unlike other German auto makers. VW you don’t scare me.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg Crest Copyright Reply with quote

busman78 wrote:
The last line of what I copied over says it all,

The coat of arms is a sign of sovereignty and may only be used on certain documents or materials after being granted approval from the City

Yep....

I work with copyright laws as part of what I do for a living...and have been to court for issues with copyrights numerous times. The copyright laws as written are some of the worst explained.

The basic constituent "parts" (in this case...the wolf, the castle and the river design components) and the original design of the Wolsfburg crest...are technically public domain just like national flags.
But...within their country of origin...since its the intellectual property of the country or city of origin...as the line you listed states....they can...at least in their country....designate how and when its allowed to be used by law.

HOWEVER.... when a crest/flag/logo that is public domain...meaning anyone in the public can use it.....is then RE-STYLIZED OR RE-DESIGNED WITHIN A SPECIFIC VISUAL WAY....it becomes a copyrighted piece of intellectual property.

All of these exactly styled versions of the Wolfsburg crest....are the copyrighted intellectual property of Volkswagen

http://cartype.com/pages/3680/the_wolfsburg_crest

Check these out and be careful what you copy.

But even a semi-skilled person with PS or any vector program like illustrator....who is not just being a thieving hack.... Wink ...can take one of the versions on that page and tweak it a little to be different from how VW tweaked them....and voila!...you are safe! Just document your work in case you start making and selling something and someone comes after you.

You need to be sure you can show how your logo version is different enough to not be theft.

I found reference to the original simple black and white Wolsfburg crest being designed by a person whose last name was Panik. I do not know is this an updated "tweaked" version or if this name is associated with the "original" design used by VW. However...if he was a VW employee even 85 years ago or so...it makes it VW property.

Also there have been so many versions just by VW....who could really know which one was a "real" VW design. Ray
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg Crest Copyright Reply with quote

Well Ray, this is what I made... what do you think? How could I edit it?

https://teespring.com/shop/wolfsburg-crest?aid=mar...;sid=front
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg Crest Copyright Reply with quote

Yes, the "legal tweak" is much like the situation with fonts. The font NAME is copyrighted, but with even one pixel or line being changed, a nearly indistinguishable version can be legally sold.

As suggested, document how yours is different. I would get high resolution versions (say in PDF form) of the original and yours, overlaid to show that you changed some key dimension or the aspect ratio. It can be small enough it would escape the naked eye and not affect sales, but you have a case for being "different."
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg Crest Copyright Reply with quote

I didn't change the one on the shirt, but if I say, changed just the width by a pixel or two, would I be good? I did a little research and... this is the official coat of arms-
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

and here's mine-

Mine already looks pretty different so am I good?
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg Crest Copyright Reply with quote

Here's the comparison-

'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg Crest Copyright Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
I didn't change the one on the shirt, but if I say, changed just the width by a pixel or two, would I be good? I did a little research and... this is the official coat of arms-

and here's mine-

Just FYI: Practicing law in the US is illegal, and in this thread there are several people who are offering "legal advice" who do not possess a law licence.

That being said, you're soliciting legal advice from the wrong place. When in doubt, seek the advice of a professional rather than crossing your fingers and "hoping for the best".

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
67ctbug wrote:

You should go to eBay and look at all the stuff coming out of china, do you think they worry about trademarks or copyrights? We are being flooded with stuff, no way can their lawyers keep up. The American consumers have no loyalty they shop price alone, many here in love with harbor freight but also wave the American flag and pretend to be patriotic. It’s a free for all, make your shirts and don’t look back. Very Happy

Just because there has been counterfeit products coming from China doesn't absolve another person of counterfeiting. There are agreements and treaties in place wherein members of the World Trade Organization (of which China is a member) will work to crack down on counterfeiting and honoring intellectual copyright protections. There are similar treaties in place with the US and EU/European countries.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg Crest Copyright Reply with quote

Gary wrote:
67ctbug wrote:

and here's mine-

Just FYI: Practicing law in the US is illegal, and in this thread there are several people who are offering "legal advice" who do not possess a law licence.

What do you mean practicing law is illegal? Ray said he works with copyright because he is a screen printer. He must know something about it...He's offering his advise from experience.
Maybe I'll add an extra water ripple and flip the dogs tail or something... add an extra square on the castle towers. Because mine is exact to VW's... which is different than the city's.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg Crest Copyright Reply with quote

I wil say, after seeing businesses fold up when VWoA, BMW, Mercedes, and the like send their legal teams through, I sure as hell wouldn't want to be the one to give them a reason to prove why they get paid the salaries that they do. Just the court costs would be more than you would hope to make off the merchandise.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg Crest Copyright Reply with quote

You guys sound like a gaggle of old women at a quitting bee. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: