Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

tar boards motor compartment
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: tar boards motor compartment Reply with quote

planenut wrote:
How many of you actually keep a constant check on your oil pressure light when you're cruising down the road. Especially on a long trip in the bright sunlight? I think the beeper idea is an excellent idea. Most all modern aircraft use some sort of attention getter when a warning light comes on. If you lost oil pressure 30 seconds after the last time you looked, it'd save your engine.

A beeper is good, but a loud stereo can overpower it.
I replaced my oil (and gen) light with LEDs, which are instant and much brighter, visible even in daylight.
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:28 am    Post subject: Re: tar boards motor compartment Reply with quote

planenut wrote:
How many of you actually keep a constant check on your oil pressure light when you're cruising down the road.

I do, buuuut it's an old habit from being a truck driver. Look out the windshield for a few seconds, look in the right side mirror, look back out windshield, look in the left side mirror, look out windshield, look down at gauges, look out the windshield. Then you just keep repeating that cycle your entire drive. This serves a couple purposes. It keeps you looking in your mirrors for up coming traffic, emergency vehicles, etc. It keeps you looking at all your gauges/lights. And most importantly it keeps you awake. If you just blankly stare out the windshield for hours on end you get drowsy. By keeping your eyes moving every few seconds in all different directions it keeps you more alert.
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: tar boards motor compartment Reply with quote

Good habit. Driver training courses always emphasize the need to keep your eyes moving from mirror to mirror to dashboard to road. Unfortunately, all the new driver alert technology being installed in cars speaks to the fact that people have forgotten this very effective technique and need technology to snap them out of their stupor.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
weinerbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: tar boards motor compartment Reply with quote

I put in new Tar Boards with the restoration back in 2008. The first to go were the side triangular pieces. they curled up and deformed. Now the board behind the engine is deformed and crumbly. I can't remember where I got the boards but it was from one of the reputable suppliers. I think the material needs to be researched and improved.
Going to tear mine out before it gets pulled into the fan..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwnut1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: tar boards motor compartment Reply with quote

I found a waffle pattern "peel and still" sound deadening material on the web. If applied correctly over clean paint in the engine bay it would look original, deaden sound and not peel up. Would love to hear from anyone who has installed it.
bugheadred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: tar boards motor compartment Reply with quote

just a reminder to look
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: tar boards motor compartment Reply with quote

Good post, I'd never thought of that! I tried to remove mine so I could clean up the engine bay and check for rust before my motor goes back in, now I don't feel bad about it crumbling into a thousand pieces when I pulled it out! I'm just going to leave it out then. I'd rather see my clean original Ruby red paint than those ugly tar boards anyway.
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
boxkiteflyer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: tar boards motor compartment Reply with quote

The tar boars look the part but I left them off my '59 and will leave them off my '57. The next owners of my cars, after I die, can do with them as they wish!
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: tar boards motor compartment Reply with quote

vw added the tar boards for good reason, sound reduction.. Consider the increased sound if you wish to remove them.

Good Luck Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
davidw99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: tar boards motor compartment Reply with quote

Zylinderkopf wrote:
Chris Vallone sells his own brand of tar boards. Anyone here have any experience with these?
https://youtu.be/MnHeCHHx9B8

These look like what I got from West Coast Metric. They are thinner than the originals. I haven't installed them yet; still doing engine and trans work and waiting for it to warm up to paint the engine compartment.

'73 Saturn Yellow Sports Bug that has undergone a full pan off restoration. "Herbert IV."

'67 Sedan. "Bellamy." Currently being "refreshed" and recently repainted.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: tar boards motor compartment Reply with quote

Has anyone ever sold a "complete" firewall kit? One that includes not only some decently thick and shaped tar boards, but also the fibre strips that were placed between it and the metal firewall?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
davidw99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:39 am    Post subject: Re: tar boards motor compartment Reply with quote

When I rebuilt my '73 I used strips of felt trunk carpeting I bought at a local parts store. I think CIP has what they refer to as "Thick" tar board.

'73 Saturn Yellow Sports Bug that has undergone a full pan off restoration. "Herbert IV."

'67 Sedan. "Bellamy." Currently being "refreshed" and recently repainted.
Sahara74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: tar boards motor compartment Reply with quote

I replaced the crumbling original boards in my 66 a few years back with WW's set. Quality was comparable to OG. The trick was to carefully unbend and preserve all of the little stabby metal prongs that when bent over anchor the boards to the firewall. As I recall there were a bunch. Good Luck !
HippyTom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: tar boards motor compartment Reply with quote

vwnut1 wrote:
I found a waffle pattern "peel and still" sound deadening material on the web. If applied correctly over clean paint in the engine bay it would look original, deaden sound and not peel up. Would love to hear from anyone who has installed it.

Can you post a link to it? I'd like to check it out and maybe try it.

My 63 has the original in fantastic condition, but my 62 needs attention. I put new in it several years ago but it looks like crap (like smooth thin cardboard with no pattern) and sucks (drooping). I'm looking for alternatives. Thanks.
bugheadred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: tar boards motor compartment Reply with quote

another reminder check them tar boards
cyclehobby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: tar boards motor compartment Reply with quote

I installed the Chris Vallone tar boards and they're really nice. Fit is perfect and the quality is superb.

They look clean once installed (using the original barbs that are attached to the firewall) and though I also have sound deadener on the interior of my Bug, I think they add a bit of sound insulation as well.

The old, original style tar boards had begun to sag and I was afraid they'd get sucked into the fan. Turns out, in my case, the old boards were sagged, but very hard. I don't think they would have come off, but better safe than sorry. Plus, the new tar boards look great!
preachermanNC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: tar boards motor compartment Reply with quote

I noticed a significant price difference between classicvws.com and west coast metric's tar boards ($80 w/ shipping [classicvws] vs. 29.99 + shipping [wcm]). If they're similar, reckon why such a difference in price? Both are USA-made in house, and from what I can tell, both are reputable suppliers.
graz126
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: tar boards motor compartment Reply with quote

Obviously it would be easier to fit tar boards with the engine out. But can they be fitted easily enough with the engine in?
car_cursed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: tar boards motor compartment Reply with quote

preachermanNC wrote:
I noticed a significant price difference between classicvws.com and west coast metric's tar boards ($80 w/ shipping [classicvws] vs. 29.99 + shipping [wcm]). If they're similar, reckon why such a difference in price? Both are USA-made in house, and from what I can tell, both are reputable suppliers.

I bought the classic VW ones to support Chris and his channel. I have used many of his videos as guides and figured it was the least I could do. They are also very nice.
car_cursed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: tar boards motor compartment Reply with quote

graz126 wrote:
Obviously it would be easier to fit tar boards with the engine out. But can they be fitted easily enough with the engine in?

Yes, I had to pull mine to make some adjustments, it will be easier if they are at least warm so they are more pliable
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: