Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Touchy Headlights
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
thingsara
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:30 pm    Post subject: Touchy Headlights Reply with quote

All summer my headlights work with no problems, but during these cold months, they’re real touchy. The parking lights and dash all turn on, but the headlights don’t. Sometimes turning the car on and off while in motion in nuetral will do the trick, but it’s not a guarantee. Does this sound like a wiring issue? Do I need to replace or adjust something? Is this a common issue? Thanks in advance!
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:28 am    Post subject: Re: Touchy Headlights Reply with quote

sounds like a wiring problem. First thing to check is the ground from your battery to the chassis, make sure it is tight, clean and not corroded.

Then check your ground to your head lights, since it's both of them it would most likely by a major ground like the one stated above. Standard sealed beam draw a lot of Watts, so they need good connections.

You don't say what year the model is, some may have a relay for the headlights and it needs to be grounded well. Find the wiring diagram for the year of your Thing and follow the wires as necessary.

Cold and moisture do cause problems with wiring. Even on my 2011 Touareg one of the driving lights sends a error signal when it's cold and wet, but the light still works.
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
'73 Personenkraftwagen Type 182 "Thing"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:32 am    Post subject: Re: Touchy Headlights Reply with quote

Your ignition switch is the likely cause as the power for the headlights runs through it. It could be either part of the switch, either the lock cylinder or the electrical part. Sometimes all you need to do with spray the lock with WD40 so that it will return fully from the start position. Just barely twisting the key back and forth may help as well.
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: Touchy Headlights Reply with quote

Here is the wiring diagram:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/181_Wiring_Diagram_4-73.pdf
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
'73 Personenkraftwagen Type 182 "Thing"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thingsara
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Touchy Headlights Reply with quote

Thank you both! I'm thinking I'll have time on Sunday to look everything over. I have a 73', by the way. I'll report back when I know more. Thanks again. Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: