Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Which case for 1776
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
1971superbeetlewa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:07 am    Post subject: Which case for 1776 Reply with quote

Hello VW world! So I have been looking to build a 1776 for my 71 super for quite awhile now and i guess it's perfect timing cause I can't get my engine to turn over. I have a friend who has like 5 complete engines just sitting in a van and i bought one from him for $100 with a AE code. After tearing it apart it was so nasty inside and where the oil strainer and plate is it was just so corroded/falling apart I chose not to use it. I was then looking at new cases but they are close to $1000. I have realized that all the new cases are AS41 and the engine I have in my bug now is a DO engine code. Could I build a 1776 from my Do engine? I figured I'd ask here, someone's gotta know.
Vanillagurilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:22 am    Post subject: Re: Which case for 1776 Reply with quote

You can build it out of any case pretty much. Guys like the dual relief cases for performance reasons like oil flow and pressure. If your just rebuilding it pretty much stock but 1776 then there's no problem. If your going to have the heads and case cut I will make a suggestion. Cut the heads for 94mm cylinders and the case cut for 92s. Then use a 92mm thick top piston amd cylinder kit. That will give you an 1835 with thick cylinders to keep the temps down. Then you will have an 1835 with the same cylinder wall thickness as a 1776. If you could give some more details about what your trying to achieve that would help.
1971superbeetlewa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:30 am    Post subject: Re: Which case for 1776 Reply with quote

I'm looking for mostly a reliable engine that I would be daily driving roughly 40 miles a day round trip and something that I can take to the drag strip to race my friends for fun every once in awhile. I probably won't be getting into the 5500 rpm range a whole lot but when I want the power like on freeways I want it to be there. Also I head that anything over a 1776 you need a race transmission?
Vanillagurilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:03 am    Post subject: Re: Which case for 1776 Reply with quote

1971superbeetlewa wrote:
I'm looking for mostly a reliable engine that I would be daily driving roughly 40 miles a day round trip and something that I can take to the drag strip to race my friends for fun every once in awhile. I probably won't be getting into the 5500 rpm range a whole lot but when I want the power like on freeways I want it to be there. Also I head that anything over a 1776 you need a race transmission?

My car has an 1835 with a 110 cam for over 20 years on the same trans. Now it has the same 110 cam, 1835 at 8:1 compression, empi cnc stage one heads and dual 40 webbers on that same transmission but it is a desert car. It all depends on how you drive it and race it and what tires your running. I'm sure if I put slicks on it and launched it hard at a race track it wouldn't last much longer but I still mess around and do burnouts now and again. I am MAYBE around 100hp if I'm lucky and I'm not to worried about the trans.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Which case for 1776 Reply with quote

Find the best engine case you can with NO corroded anything on the case. Dual relief for sure.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Which case for 1776 Reply with quote

way back when i first started doing this machine in 88's were the bulletproof size and 92's tended to crack the case...that prompted step boring the hole, welding a plate to the back of the block to reinforce it, factory cases with that area filled in( that are no longer available) and finally aluminum cases with the area filled in(which also have some other issues)....90.5's then became available and seem to be about the largest thing you can reliably use in a "normal" stock case...i have no experience with any of the "large top,small bottom" cyilnders currently available as they didnt exist when i was building my race engines...but i believe they are all chinese so....as far as your current case it depends on what shape its in when you get it apart...theoeretically a D serial number is a 40 hp case...but i currently have a car sitting here that is a dual relief 8mm stud late universal case and has a D serial number so maybe some rebuilder stamped it?....believe me you're a lot better off not basing a performance engine on a 40 year old block...back when they were 200 bucks it was a no brainer but now paying over 800 for one isnt easy
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Which case for 1776 Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
Find the best engine case you can with NO corroded anything on the case. Dual relief for sure.

X2

A 1776 makes a good and affordable squirt around town, and even long distance DD engine. That's what I ran in my college days. Now my DD is a 2110, and I am running a stock trans rubber mounts and clutch. However, if you plan on taking your DD to the strip, you had better dig deep into your wallet for both the engine, trans, CVs etc. Otherwise, you will probably find yourself walking to work.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
1971superbeetlewa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Which case for 1776 Reply with quote

I probably won't be running the crap out of, I would like it to last for a few years. So I probably won't be taking it to the strip. I was looking at this kit http://www.mamotorworks.com/VW/product/1776cc-clas...age_300202
Do you guys think this is a good kit? I really appreciate all of your guys help!
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Which case for 1776 Reply with quote

1971superbeetlewa wrote:

Hmmm, so you think you will be getting a stock bottom end (non-counterweighted crank) up to 5500rpm??

Maybe you should read this thread:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=391369

Personally, I wouldn't push a stock crank beyond 4500rpm. If you want to reach 5500rpm you should go with a counter-weighted crank and balance the rotating components.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Which case for 1776 Reply with quote

1971superbeetlewa wrote:
The engine I have in my bug now is a DO engine code. Could I build a 1776 from my Do engine? I figured I'd ask here, someone's gotta know.
DO That's a 40 horse unless it's a late Dual Oil Relief case. I have one and it's got regular 1600 spigots and yes I think you could use it for a 1776cc I don't know though it may depend on if it has been inserted or not. Probably could go to 8mm studs and 12mm inserts and do it?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: