Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

KDF transmission - Info
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Derosse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:33 am    Post subject: KDF transmission - Info Reply with quote

Hi all!

recently i got my hands on a KDF transmission. I'm fairly new to KDF and i want inform myself what type of KDF transmission it realy is. I know it's aluminium casting and that the backing plates are incorrect, correct?
i want to ask all KDF experts to have a look at my KDF gearbox and give me some advice, info, what is correct or incorrect.... every response is very welcome! all the best!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

usariemen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: KDF transmission - Info Reply with quote

The cogwheel stayed there way after the war.
So this does not make it a KdF one.
It could be from the late 40s or so.
Look for a serial number or any other marks to date it.
Derosse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: KDF transmission - Info Reply with quote

usariemen wrote:

Thanks Usariemen! this weekend i'll clean up the place where the serial numbers is stamped. i'll let you know what number it is. as far as i know untill now there is no case number on following places, makes this it KDF?

Derosse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: KDF transmission - Info Reply with quote

additional info:

it has a very heavy yellow painted nose cone.
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: KDF transmission - Info Reply with quote

usariemen wrote:

While this is true for a lot of parts, the cogwheel logo was quickly removed from all parts where the logo was very obvious. Hubcaps, dash filler plate and hood emblem were the most obvious and removed very quickly. I know that cogwheel remained on many smaller parts for several years but I am not sure that the cogwheel was still present on the engine and transmission cases as late as '49.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
Derosse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: KDF transmission - Info Reply with quote

splitjunkie wrote:
usariemen wrote:

While this is true for a lot of parts, the cogwheel logo was quickly removed from all parts where the logo was very obvious. Hubcaps, dash filler plate and hood emblem were the most obvious and removed very quickly. I know that cogwheel remained on many smaller parts for several years but I am not sure that the cogwheel was still present on the engine and transmission cases as late as '49.

i saw a transmission case from 48 that indeed had the cogwheel stamp too.
a1steaksauce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: KDF transmission - Info Reply with quote

A Kubel trans will be numbered on the passengers side by the side cover. If you're looking straight at the side cover it it'll be on the left straight up and down.

Schwimmers are labeled on the top by the bellhousing.

Now keep in mind there are no reduction gear housings present. Which means that if in fact that it was originally out of one of the two mentioned above someone had to flip the diff for it to work in a beetle.

And all above are correct, you do see various cog wheel parts that are post war.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Derosse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: KDF transmission - Info Reply with quote

serial number visible! can someone tell me the datecode from this KDF gearbox?

kdfkid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: KDF transmission - Info Reply with quote

Hi,
this is a normal KDF gear box from 1945.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Derosse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:37 am    Post subject: Re: KDF transmission - Info Reply with quote

kdfkid wrote:
Hi,
this is a normal KDF gear box from 1945.

thanks kdfkid! is there any documentation to date tracking the gearbox?
I'm thinking anything stamped KDF is not "Normal" Laughing

look at the innards from the KDF box, mainshaft etc are totally different then a normal crashbox mainshaft. it also has a yellow painted steel nose wich weights a ton!

virtanen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:06 am    Post subject: Re: KDF transmission - Info Reply with quote

It has a limited slip differential as Kübels have.
New projects
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: KDF transmission - Info Reply with quote

virtanen wrote:

i would throw that out, they are terribly noisy on loose ground, best to replace the whole thing with a tunnel tranny Smile

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: KDF transmission - Info Reply with quote

Pretty cool. Since it has the limited slip and no reduction boxes it would either have originally been in a Kubelwagen and had the differential flipped when the reduction boxes were removed or could it have been in an actual sedan? Did they put the limited slip in the sedan based cars? If it was originally from a sedan then that would make that one rare bird.

sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: KDF transmission - Info Reply with quote

can someone much more knowledgable in war-time VW's explain why the axle tubes look like September of 52 and later?

did vw make axle end castings with a lower shock mount in the 40's and then drop it? only to be reintroduced again?

or are those just late axle tubes with early cable brakes installed?
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: KDF transmission - Info Reply with quote

Those are just late tubes that have been added. Early cars had lever shocks so there would have been no reason for the mounts on the tubes. Those are the earlier straight mount variety. They came out with the twisted version in the early 60's.

Given the fact that the OP's electrical outlets are the European Schuko style then he is somewhere in Europe. There would have been a lot of war era cars kicking around for many years after the war so it is not that unusual to find war era parts that got recycled in to post war cars.

Derosse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:22 am    Post subject: Re: KDF transmission - Info Reply with quote

mandraks wrote:
virtanen wrote:

i would throw that out, they are terribly noisy on loose ground, best to replace the whole thing with a tunnel tranny Smile

That's exactly what's not going to happen Shocked
Derosse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:24 am    Post subject: Re: KDF transmission - Info Reply with quote

splitjunkie wrote:
Those are just late tubes that have been added. Early cars had lever shocks so there would have been no reason for the mounts on the tubes. Those are the earlier straight mount variety. They came out with the twisted version in the early 60's.

Given the fact that the OP's electrical outlets are the European Schuko style then he is somewhere in Europe. There would have been a lot of war era cars kicking around for many years after the war so it is not that unusual to find war era parts that got recycled in to post war cars.

thanks Splitjunkie! can you explain what you mean with this "Given the fact that the OP's electrical outlets are the European Schuko style then he is somewhere in Europe" cannot get any wiser from this sentence... has it something to do with the starter?
cory464
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: KDF transmission - Info Reply with quote

Derosse wrote:
splitjunkie wrote:

thanks Splitjunkie! can you explain what you mean with this "Given the fact that the OP's electrical outlets are the European Schuko style then he is somewhere in Europe" cannot get any wiser from this sentence... has it something to do with the starter?

he is referring to the wall plug in his shop. it is not an american stlye outlet.
Derosse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: KDF transmission - Info Reply with quote

cory464 wrote:
Derosse wrote:
splitjunkie wrote:

he is referring to the wall plug in his shop. it is not an american stlye outlet.

thanks for clearing this out Laughing
gearbox was previously located in Germany and is now located in belgium
mr magyar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: KDF transmission - Info Reply with quote

Here's a photograph of the transmission in my December 1949 Standard. It too has a cog logo and serial number running vertically although the font is quite different to yours and has a six pointed star symbol either end of the numbers.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: