Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 4 engine rebuild: take 3
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilt engine-starts but no oil pressure Reply with quote

I'm trying not to create new threads as I have many threads asking the same question. I picked up where I left off on one of my favourite topics, oil pumps.

I really wish I had taken pics of the stock oil pump I took out in bits, but shame prevented me from doing so.

As many of you have found, the CB performance pump delivers insufficient oil pressure unless you run 50 wt or keep the oil below 190*F. Bought a full flow 30mm pump from the Type 4 store thinking...mmm..great, big gears, more pressure. I have since learned that they can put out too much pressure and that they are meant for installation of an external oil cooler.

I would like to go back to a stock oil pump, unless the aftermarket oil situation has miraculously improved.

I have found rebuilt pumps at EVW and there a few in the classifieds. Although the EVW pumps are more expensive, I'm fine with paying more as long as it is actually a quality rebuilt pump. Would I do just as well trying my luck in the classifieds? Any thoughts?

Thanks for the help.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilt engine-starts but no oil pressure Reply with quote

Do it all man disassemble that engine and put in new bearing too.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilt engine-starts but no oil pressure Reply with quote

orwell84 wrote:
I'm trying not to create new threads as I have many threads asking the same question. I picked up where I left off on one of my favourite topics, oil pumps.

I really wish I had taken pics of the stock oil pump I took out in bits, but shame prevented me from doing so.

As many of you have found, the CB performance pump delivers insufficient oil pressure unless you run 50 wt or keep the oil below 190*F. Bought a full flow 30mm pump from the Type 4 store thinking...mmm..great, big gears, more pressure. I have since learned that they can put out too much pressure and that they are meant for installation of an external oil cooler.

I would like to go back to a stock oil pump, unless the aftermarket oil situation has miraculously improved.

I have found rebuilt pumps at EVW and there a few in the classifieds. Although the EVW pumps are more expensive, I'm fine with paying more as long as it is actually a quality rebuilt pump. Would I do just as well trying my luck in the classifieds? Any thoughts?

Thanks for the help.

If its really "rebuilt".....its worth the money. Actual rebuilding means removal of all tye studs and locating collar (not a time or cost factor)....then lapping the inside deck, the top deck, and possibly shuffling other gears from other pumps to get a good fit, lapping the gears to correct height, staking or pinning the shafts.....and in some cases actually hard anodizimy the case to tighten tolerances.
Its a lot of labor.

If all of that is done....its worth it. So.....if you buy one...please spend five minutes and crack it open and measure so we can get an idea of what the specs are.

I have about four pumps going out soon for anodizing that I am about to start rebuilds on. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilt engine-starts but no oil pressure Reply with quote

If its really "rebuilt".....its worth the money. Actual rebuilding means removal of all tye studs and locating collar (not a time or cost factor)....then lapping the inside deck, the top deck, and possibly shuffling other gears from other pumps to get a good fit, lapping the gears to correct height, staking or pinning the shafts.....and in some cases actually hard anodizimy the case to tighten tolerances.
Its a lot of labor.

If all of that is done....its worth it. So.....if you buy one...please spend five minutes and crack it open and measure so we can get an idea of what the specs are.

I have about four pumps going out soon for anodizing that I am about to start rebuilds on. Ray[/quote]

Right. It's anybody's guess what they do to rebuild these pumps, so I would be inspecting it anyway as I would a new aftermarket pump. I would be interested in buying one of your rebuilt pumps if they are for sale.

Thank you
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilt engine-starts but no oil pressure Reply with quote

orwell84 wrote:
Its a lot of labor.

I have about four pumps going out soon for anodizing that I am about to start rebuilds on. Ray

Right. It's anybody's guess what they do to rebuild these pumps, so I would be inspecting it anyway as I would a new aftermarket pump. I would be interested in buying one of your rebuilt pumps if they are for sale.

Thank you[/quote]

At this moment.....i am rebuilding one them for my engine build that is upcoming,.....one for a build I am working on right now, one for a spare for me and one extra.

It will probably be ahout two months. I will not actually know if I have a spare to sell untill I get all of the housings back and start checking gear and shaft fit.

But....as I get closer in the next 3 weeks or so to getting the housings to the anodizing house.....if the cost is low enough or works better with a larger batch.....I will probably collect more housings or ask others to toss theirs into the batch.
I might as well help as many as possible.

The other part that is slkwing me down a bit is that I am waiting on machine work cor a small lapping plate. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilt engine-starts but no oil pressure Reply with quote

Ok, thanks. Please keep me posted if you have something available.
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilt engine-starts but no oil pressure Reply with quote

So I bought 2 used oil pumps from the classifieds at a reasonable price and a rebuilt pump from Mofoco. Hopefully I will be able to put together a good pump. I might just get lucky. Like so many other things required to keep an old bus alive, there is no substitute for learning how to do it yourself. I was curious about hard anodizing and what direction to go in in having a pump done. I'm also looking for a comprehensive thread on oil pump blueprinting/rebuilding. Thanks as always.
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject: Oil pump options was Rebuilt engine-starts but no oil pressure Reply with quote

So here is an excellent discussion on this very topic. It comes up often in the process of rebuilding T4 engines.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Since starting the original thread, I did another rebuild of my engine using HAM heads. I am currently running the CB performance pump and like many have found the fit to be a bit loose compared to the stock pump which was too tight to remove without splitting the case. Oil pressure is great until the oil temp gets above 190*F. After this point it is about 10 psi too low at the higher end of the rpm range according to my VDO gauges. I question whether I truly have insufficient oil pressure, but am concerned enough to attempt running a stock pump again. Another observation: At high temps my warning light would sometimes flicker at idle on hot days using the VDO sender. I did replace the rod and main bearings during my rebuild, even though they were not worn. I never had oil pressure issues that I was aware of before rebuilding, but did not have a pressure gauge until after I rebuilt. I switched to using the something or other /42 hose and fitting with the stock sender. It has never lit up the warning light at idle since.
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilt engine-starts but no oil pressure Reply with quote

First of 3 oil pumps coming in. This one was from the classifieds...

I haven't spent much time looking at oil pumps. This is the worst of the scoring.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Battery died on my calipers, but it's under .005 with feeler gauges. That's the thinnest one I have on hand.

Just for comparative purposes, how worn is this?

Thanks
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilt engine-starts but no oil pressure Reply with quote

Why would anyone think that they can sell parts like this? You would find that part in the garbage of my shop upon tear-down.

Did you ever find out why you weren't making oil pressure? As mentioned earlier in the thread, even a worn out pump will give you some pressure. I'm assuming that the dog wasn't engaged in the cam for whatever reason. Did the gears turn when the motor was turned over with the cover off but the pump installed? Did you hook up a pressure gauge prior to taking out the old pump?
Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilt engine-starts but no oil pressure Reply with quote

We never found out for sure. Either the drive dog not engaged in the cam or because it was packed with vasoline clogging it. We tried heating the pump to thin out the vasoline but no luck. When we switched to the maxi pump it pumped right up. The pump in the pictures was $25. Waiting on a rebuilt from Mofoco and another cheapie from the classifieds.

Thanks for the help
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilt engine-starts but no oil pressure Reply with quote

How about a close up shot of the gears. If you have obvious abrasion of the wear surfaces on the gears I would say that the oil pump saw erosive materials passing through it. Otherwise you may just have a pump that was poorly machined. The thrust wear looks minimal, while the wall scoring doesn't look that much different for the machining done on the none wearing surfaces.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilt engine-starts but no oil pressure Reply with quote

late cases with the loopback from the overpressure to the oil pump will cavitate when there is any air in the pump. Literally you can pressurize the system with a device, turn the key to start the bus and it won't make oil pressure. Remove the filter or oil pressure switch and it will pour oil out in 1 second. Put the filter or sender back and you'll have pressure. Let it sit a few days where a little air gets into it and it will cavitate again. The simplest solution then is to start it for about 4 seconds, turn it off for about 10 seconds and start it again. Oil pressure will come up almost right away. While I can't see inside the pump it acts like air in the pump frothing the oil into a foam. You an see the change here.

orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilt engine-starts but no oil pressure Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
late cases with the loopback from the overpressure to the oil pump will cavitate when there is any air in the pump. Literally you can pressurize the system with a device, turn the key to start the bus and it won't make oil pressure. Remove the filter or oil pressure switch and it will pour oil out in 1 second. Put the filter or sender back and you'll have pressure. Let it sit a few days where a little air gets into it and it will cavitate again. The simplest solution then is to start it for about 4 seconds, turn it off for about 10 seconds and start it again. Oil pressure will come up almost right away. While I can't see inside the pump it acts like air in the pump frothing the oil into a foam. You an see the change here.

That is really good information. I have heard about removing the filter or sender to achieve oil pressure but didn't know the reasoning behind it. I haven't had this issue at startup since. Even after not starting it for months.
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilt engine-starts but no oil pressure Reply with quote

Here are some more photos for oil pump number 1. The clearance from the top of the gears to deck was about .005

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilt engine-starts but no oil pressure Reply with quote

.0015" to .0030" would be better but .0050" is still acceptable. Basically you have .0025" on top and bottom instead of .0010" - .0015".

Steve
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilt engine-starts but no oil pressure Reply with quote

Pump number 2 arrived in the mail today. Also from the classifieds, same price range. It looks a lot more promising. To me it looks like minimal wear and scoring on the gears, bores and thrust faces. Gear deck clearance measures the same but eyeballs less. I don't think I am measuring accurately. I am using the depth gauge on the calipers and measurements are all over the place. From the lack of wear, I am assuming the clearances are probably good?

To my untrained eye, it looks only minimally worn with no obvious scoring from dirty oil. Did I get lucky?

Thanks for bearing with me. Though it's a means to an end, I enjoy learning about this stuff for its own sake.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilt engine-starts but no oil pressure Reply with quote

orwell84 wrote:
Pump number 2 arrived in the mail today. Also from the classifieds, same price range. It looks a lot more promising. To me it looks like minimal wear and scoring on the gears, bores and thrust faces. Gear deck clearance measures the same but eyeballs less. I don't think I am measuring accurately. I am using the depth gauge on the calipers and measurements are all over the place. From the lack of wear, I am assuming the clearances are probably good?

To my untrained eye, it looks only minimally worn with no obvious scoring from dirty oil. Did I get lucky?

Thanks for bearing with me. Though it's a means to an end, I enjoy learning about this stuff for its own sake.

This second one looks very nice......it actually looks the inner side....has been lightly wire wheeled or previously lapped.

The first pump you got.....either ran dirty oil or pumped lots of metal through it in the last miles of its life.

But that first one can most probably be fixed by lapping and by anodizing.

I hope to have information on anodizing costs where I am this week. Ray
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilt engine-starts but no oil pressure Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:

Steve.....this is really good info that I think you have mentioned before. While I do not work on that many late cases.....I have seen this syndrome in action before.

Due to the fact that I do not work on that many late cases.... I was not paying that close of attention when this was previously mentioned. But...I happen to be sitting at my workbench cleaning and deburring a case and taking a break....so an early case is right here inches from my nose.

It seems to me.....that this cavitation syndrome is probably not really started in the oil pump....but thats what it affects . The passageway in that picture...is as you note....taking in oil from the relief valve. When the engine is running....it can probably be assumed that the well or bore for the relief valve is full with no air.
But...once it shuts down....most if not all of that oil drains to the case....this also you alluded to.
But...once the oil is back in the case.....the bore for the relief valve is drained down to the level of the outlet port to this passage.....and likely full of air....and.....the roof of that vertical oval passage is now technically just above the oil level.....really nearly above the beltline where the windage tray would be in earlier engines.

That means that the oil pickup tube passage has a direct air link.....to air...when it first starts to pump. For sure that would cause big air bubbles and foam.

I would think a simpler method would be to install a plug in that passage to the main pickup galley....and drill to route the relief back to the case. Earlier cases....had no relief re-route....and had no oiling issues. I am not exactly sure what the need for it was.
Ray
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilt engine-starts but no oil pressure Reply with quote

orwell84 wrote:
Here are some more photos for oil pump number 1. The clearance from the top of the gears to deck was about .005

Those teeth look to me like they have seen an engine failure. Did you try checking the tooth to pump body clearance on the gears or the clearance between the gear teeth. I would think either would be excessive.

It is a shame that someone would sell such an obviously damaged pump, but in this internet age where we buy stuff sight unseen, such things are frequent. I just try to grin and bear it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Jump to:
Page 2 of 37

Jump to: