Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

replacement body panels
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
raydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject: replacement body panels Reply with quote

Hi all,
Simple question, on replacement body panels, what is the best way to treat them before welding/installation? For example, I am replacing the front apron on my 71 super. Should I? A. epoxy prime over the black preservative coating? B. scuff then epoxy? Or C. Remove coating then epoxy? Or D. Any other ideas. Thanks, I just want to rust proof the best way possible.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: replacement body panels Reply with quote

Remove the cheap paint that came on it so it did not rust during shipping. I would put something on first that has a rust deterrent with some zinc in it. Self Etching Primer has some zinc in it or Master Series ,Zero Rust, Rust Bullet etcetera. If your not going to be able to access it after it's welded in use some Weld Thru Primer on those areas only. Don't actually try to arc through it though. Coat the parts away from the heat zone with whatever your going to use on the rest of the panel.

Some people think that primer/sealer works much better over primer as a barrier. I don't know how an epoxy 2 part application would work or has even been tried. Regular Primer/Sealer is Primer that has been cut down with a reducer. It seems to penetrate better and is smother. You can buy it in a rattle can along with Self Etching Primer.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: