Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 3yr Search for Single Cab is Over
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SevenOaks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: My 3yr Search for Single Cab is Over Reply with quote

Hey Rich, thanks! We plan to get back to Durango again, after the thaw of course! Very Happy
1966 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SevenOaks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: My 3yr Search for Single Cab is Over Reply with quote

The single cab came with an old stereo and speakers that hadn't ever been reinstalled after the interior refresh - apparently because, wisely, nobody wanted to cut new holes in the door panels where the speakers had previously been (thank you!). The old stereo wasn't worth keeping so I bought a Retrosound stereo and easily got it installed.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I was particularly pleased with how the back support strap (used less than half of it) perfectly attached to the back of the ashtray mount.

But, how to mount those speakers? I figured I'd end up getting a dual voice coil speaker for the dash but I'm not that impressed with the one I have in my bus.
Then I saw this thread about the original dash speaker mount
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=692312

In there, Skills mentioned he uses a 6x9 speaker in that spot in an early bay. Sure enough, the space is cavernous compared to my '74. So, I figured I could make a mount for fitting both of the speakers in the dash space.
Here's how that went.

How am I going to cut out 5" holes? Quick trip to Harbor Freight for the $16 hole saw set with a 5" saw!

And a good use for the other half of the radio's back strap!

Paint it black

And by golly, it fits! Sounds great, too.

1966 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rkeller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: My 3yr Search for Single Cab is Over Reply with quote

did you mount these right under the speaker holes on the dash?
Mine is a 71 with no speaker and I really like this solution.
How's it been working?
SevenOaks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: My 3yr Search for Single Cab is Over Reply with quote

Yes, this is mounted exactly where the stock speaker would go. It fit and works better than I would have expected. I’m not so pleased with the RetroSound radio, though, and when I find the right Sapphire AM/FM stereo (like the one I found for my bus) I will replace it. But the speakers are great.
1966 Beetle
advCo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: My 3yr Search for Single Cab is Over Reply with quote

Awesome looking single cab! I like the speaker solution too.

Working on my '70 Westy up in the Kingwood area North of Houston...Maybe catch you at a show when mine is back together Cool
A bunch of vintage Japanese motorcycles
"Much ingenuity with a little money is vastly more profitable and amusing than much money without ingenuity." -A. Bennett
mba71sportsmobile
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: My 3yr Search for Single Cab is Over Reply with quote

And a successful search I would say,

Enjoy !
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: