Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

oil cooler install
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
barefootjohnny
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:16 am    Post subject: oil cooler install Reply with quote

I watched a youtube video where a man ran hoses from original oil cooler to an oil filter (attached under the bus, two hoses) from the filter he ran two hoses to an additional under bus oil cooler.

Is this correct? one hose takes oil to filter and then to oil cooler, 2nd hose takes oil from cooler back to the original cooler up near the motor.

Is this the best way to do this? What part do I need to attach to original cooler so that i can run to a separate under bus cooler.

Want to update cooler system without removing engine or having to remove old cooler.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:01 am    Post subject: Re: oil cooler install Reply with quote

Was this on a Volkswagen of some kind?? Very Happy

Kidding aside, we would need to know if it was a type 1 or type 4 engine. They have slightly different cooling systems.

The Type 4 engine has never had major problems with oil cooling, so not many parts exist on the aftermarket today to outfit them.

The Type 1 engine has no problems with oil cooling, but it was more popular back in the day so a lot of garbage aftermarket parts exist these days that will create a problem with oil cooling to sell you an oil cooler.

Robbie

PS, what part of Kansas?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:02 am    Post subject: Re: oil cooler install Reply with quote

Your engine came new from the factory with an oil filtration system and oil cooling system that worked very well. Make sure you have all of the parts for the system that you have and that they work as the factory intended. Read up on the effects of oil viscosity on the oil temperatures. The VW oil cooling system is designed to maintain the oil at a certain viscosity, if the oil is thicker than the engine needs the engine will just let the oil get hotter and hotter until the oil thins to were it wants it.

Forget about all the fancy doodads you can buy for your engine, most offer little or NOTHING over the stock setup.
barefootjohnny
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: oil cooler install Reply with quote

Thank you, I will be removing the thought of a new oil cooler. After reading your replies, well it makes sense not to mess with it.

Robbie, I am in Topeka.

Once again Thank you, both.
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: oil cooler install Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Your engine came new from the factory with an oil filtration system and oil cooling system that worked very well. Make sure you have all of the parts for the system that you have and that they work as the factory intended. Read up on the effects of oil viscosity on the oil temperatures. The VW oil cooling system is designed to maintain the oil at a certain viscosity, if the oil is thicker than the engine needs the engine will just let the oil get hotter and hotter until the oil thins to were it wants it.

Forget about all the fancy doodads you can buy for your engine, most offer little or NOTHING over the stock setup.

In oil trainer is far from an current day oil filter. Maybe if they have oil filters we wouldn't have so many completely trashed engine cases.

As far as cooling, I agree for a stock engine or mild engine. But if you are putting a 2000cc+ engine in, I understand an external oil cooler.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: oil cooler install Reply with quote

Spike0180 wrote:
In oil trainer is far from an current day oil filter. Maybe if they have oil filters we wouldn't have so many completely trashed engine cases.

As far as cooling, I agree for a stock engine or mild engine. But if you are putting a 2000cc+ engine in, I understand an external oil cooler.

The OP shows a '77 in his signature line, which would mean a Type 4 engine with stock full flow oil filter and a sufficiently sized cooler for any stock sized engine. He just has the new owner jitters that can make one expend a lot of money and end up with a rig that is less dependable than if the work had not been done.
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: oil cooler install Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Spike0180 wrote:

The OP shows a '77 in his signature line, which would mean a Type 4 engine with stock full flow oil filter and a sufficiently sized cooler for any stock sized engine. He just has the new owner jitters that can make one expend a lot of money and end up with a rig that is less dependable than if the work had not been done.

Ah, my bad. I went off on the type 1 rant.
I agree the type 4 cooler and filter is sufficient for most any build you would want to do.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
barefootjohnny
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: oil cooler install Reply with quote

new owner jitters indeed. Thanks everyone for saving me some money
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: