Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rough start/rough idle/engine stall
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
thesadstork
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:17 am    Post subject: Rough start/rough idle/engine stall Reply with quote

Hi everyone, I am a new owner of an '03 EV Weekender.
Here's the issue I would like your opinion on, before I decide whether I should get it towed to a garage.

The EV was running great when I stored it in my garage for the winter in November. In December, I put it outside for a day because I needed the garage for some home renovations. It was very cold that day outside, probably around -20C. When I started the engine to get it back in the garage at the end of the day, the idle was very rough, and the engine would stall as soon as I put it in Drive. I had to give it a lot of gas just to start it, and it would stall as soon as I took my foot off the gas. I tried filling the tank with premium and adding a fuel stabilizer. Didn't do much. Anyway, I got it back in the garage and left it there for a couple of weeks, which brings us to today. I bought a battery charger (I'd killed the battery with all the starts and stalls), and when I started it today, it was running slightly better, but still rough idle, always on the verge of stalling, and hard to start without giving it some gas.
I bought a DTC reader and here's what I got:

Fault Code:
P0011 : Camshaft Position Actuator A - Bank 1 Timing Over-Advanced
Pending Code:
P0740: TCC Circuit Malfunction
P0300: Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
P0302: Cylinder 2 Misfire Detected
P0303
P0306

My question is: are there any usual suspects for a problem like that that I could investigate first? Something simple I could DIY before I get it towed?

Thanks for the help!
Scottn59c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Rough start/rough idle/engine stall Reply with quote

thesadstork wrote:
Something simple I could DIY before I get it towed?

You might try changing out the spark plugs if that hasn't been done recently. That may help with the misfiring.
thesadstork
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Rough start/rough idle/engine stall Reply with quote

Yes, I was thinking about changing both the plugs and the coil packs, as a good place to start troubleshooting, but I'm a bit skeptic that it would fix it...
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Rough start/rough idle/engine stall Reply with quote

I would definitely check the coil packs for the cyl. misfiring. Mine will randomly start up in the morning and then kinda bog down for the first few seconds as I back out of my driveway. Sometimes it will die after it does this when I shift from R to D. After that it runs just fine until the next random cold start. Weird stuff

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Rough start/rough idle/engine stall Reply with quote

Google " lawnmower syndrome" or " thanksgiving syndrome"

Short version..if you don't burn off the cold start fuel, your engine will lose compression and run rough for several minutes ipuntil the fuel burns off
thesadstork
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Rough start/rough idle/engine stall Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips!
At this point, though, I'll probably just bring it to my mechanic for a timing chain and tensioner job, and whatever else makes sense to do once you have the engine out. Seems it's a job that's just inevitable down the line anyway so might as well get it done.
Echocomp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Rough start/rough idle/engine stall Reply with quote

Curious what ended up being the cause/solution for your Eurovan?
I am running into a similar challenge.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: