Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Headliner Bows
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
electronictofu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:05 pm    Post subject: Headliner Bows Reply with quote

Hi all,

Im starting my headliner this weekend for my 65' deluxe.
Where exactly do the bows go thru? The little slip on the inside of the headliner for the bow is sealed on the ends with a seem. Does the headliner bow pop thru the outside of that seam at the edge, or pop thru on the inside, so that hard plastic at the headliner fabric edge can be clamped down on those metal roof edges? The bow isn't making sense to me... any help or a photo or two would be incredibly helpful.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Headliner Bows Reply with quote

You have to cut into the lofting bow area material where you decide is best. That is where the material will start to have the pull upward when the rest is taut. On the inner overhead vent side it will be close to the edge as in your picture you can see where the wire will rest.

On the outer side edge you need to decide kind of by holding it up and decide where to cut and protrude the wire. This example is not that good for showing where because I made my own bows as this was a hybrid headliner for a standard sunroof but it's still the same. This is the driver side.

This is the passenger side.

I'm betting your cut will be about 1 1/2" from the edge. Yours won't be anywhere as taut as mine is.

Make them the same on both sides. The material is forgiving and it is better to have it pull up closer to the edge than farther but don't slit the lofting material until you are fairly sure. If you go too long you can still go shorter and if you go short you can slit it longer so it's ok.
electronictofu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Headliner Bows Reply with quote

Thanks! I totally figured this out shortly after looking at it for a couple hours. Ha. I have a good start so far. Once leaving the area above the front seats, there is a hard white plastic piece that goes all the way down, here shown above the cargo doors, does the metal lip above the doors "interior roof rail" (Where Im pointing) get bent down a a bit, and the hard plastic headliner edge gets stuffed in there, then tap the metal back in place to hold it down?

Working my way down...

BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Headliner Bows Reply with quote

electronictofu wrote:
Once leaving the area above the front seats, there is a hard white plastic piece that goes all the way down, here shown above the cargo doors, does the metal lip above the doors "interior roof rail" (Where Im pointing) get bent down a a bit, and the hard plastic headliner edge gets stuffed in there, then tap the metal back in place to hold it down?

Yes, as you say.

Sheesh, your channel looks to be relatively hatcheted. I don't know how but try to shape that back to kinda decent shape.

The channel captures the plastic strip as a barb and the harder the headliner pulls the more it gets held by the little lip. No need to really hammer the channel closed; just lightly tap it to not stick out, keep the plastic strip from escape, and don't cut into your new headliner doing it.

I've seen glue above the channel too but someone else will have to say how that is in play .

Have you established the front and rear grip yet? The front requires the cardboard pieces to hold it at its final forward position but you should at least put those up temporarily, attach the rear, and lift all the bows before you do the sides or you will likely get shorted here and there.

Also, do you have the little ends for the wire bows?
electronictofu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Headliner Bows Reply with quote

So attaching the back after the front so the middle drapes down and then work the middle bows and sides? Makes sense so there is no coming up short.

I actually don't have the headliner bow ends/ tips. I was thinking of using a small piece of rubber so they grip better? I bought new bows so I had to cut them to size, they are nice and tight.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Headliner Bows Reply with quote

Maybe someone could post up a picture of the bow ends.

On the left side or driver side you will have to glue the side length and do some other wrangling but ultimately there is a long vinyl bulb wind lacing strip that goes in. Do you have that part?
electronictofu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Headliner Bows Reply with quote

Ive seen bow ends and forgot to order some. I am hoping some little piece of rubber would suffice, correct.. no , but if it works well I'll go with it. Thoughts?

The lace area, the headliner had a good but of extra loose fabric around the sun visors. I pulled that super tight and used contact cement to attach. That area came out better than expected. And that hard board piece that keeps it tight, the piece behind the visor. Mine was toast so I cut a flexable hard plastic piece in the same size, worked out pretty well in that area. The hard plastic on the headliner really doesnt stay in to the side channels (Currently trying the passenger side). I may have a bit more play on the driver side I'll give that a go. But those channels.... dang.
electronictofu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Headliner Bows Reply with quote

Anyone in this board in Sacramento or know someone privately in Sacramento area (within 30 minutes) that could help assist? I'd usually take it to Kombi Haus but I can't afford their hourly rate right now, I just need a set of hands to help.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Headliner Bows Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
... there is a long vinyl bulb wind lacing strip that goes in. Do you have that part?

This is the area starting just even with above and behind the driver bulkhead and goes past the third pop-out.

Are you sure you have the plastic strips in correctly? They have to have a kind of twist before you push down and trap the edge.
electronictofu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Headliner Bows Reply with quote

I am definitely not putting the plastic strips in correctly. The passenger side it much tighter, I had more play on the driver side so I tried over there. The strips just pop right back out. I tried using various tools to push the strip in and hoping it would turn and grab the metal channel but it's been a no go so far.
electronictofu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Headliner Bows Reply with quote

Here's a couple random photos of areas that look like crap and the plastic material I can't get to stay inside the metal channel. Its being held up with magnets, there are no middle bows in yet. Just front cab area and the 1 bow behind the bulk head.

electronictofu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Headliner Bows Reply with quote

Does anyone have any thoughts on the above photos? I can't get the plastic to stay into the channels still Sad
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Headliner Bows Reply with quote

electronictofu wrote:
Does anyone have any thoughts on the above photos? I can't get the plastic to stay into the channels still Sad

First thing you need to do is get all your claws like in this photo: straight and about that far away from the metal.

When you get done they will be pressed tight like this picture.
electronictofu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Headliner Bows Reply with quote

The sides above the windows don't have individual claws, it's one long channel:
Maybe different on some years or 21 window? Mines a 65' 13 window. There are individual channel claws in the main front area by the front seats, but from the seats back it's all solid.

BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Headliner Bows Reply with quote

Same thing. Just pretend it has claws.
electronictofu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Headliner Bows Reply with quote

Thanks. Maybe my bows are too tight. I ordered a set of them and they all had to be cut-to-size. I'll add a little heat to the mix and should be ok when I get a chance. Thanks!
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Headliner Bows Reply with quote

electronictofu wrote:
I can't get the plastic to stay into the channels still Sad

Are you twisting the plastic strip one half revolution back before trying to drop it into and below the catching ledge on the bus' metal claw/channels?

The side where your hand has a star goes in different than all the other channels. Do you have the spring strip that holds the headliner into the air vent? Is the end of the air vent cut in line with the left and right sides?

You might have to make a special tool to get in and straighten your channel where it is hatcheted.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: