Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bosch Spark plug Wires vs......
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lil Lulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Bosch Spark plug Wires vs...... Reply with quote

I bought the Autozone/Beru ones about 10,000 miles ago. No cracks or deterioration. Still good when I checked them a month ago. I had to order but they came quick.

'72 Deluxe - Niagara Blue w/pastelwiess Camper Special 2L dual 40 Webers 002

'74 Hightop Weekender "Dixie" 1800 34 Del singles
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Bosch Spark plug Wires vs...... Reply with quote

sodbuster wrote:
asiab3 wrote:
Twice last year I called BD and asked them for a brand name of a part. One time they said "German" and once they said "yeeeaaahhhhhhh I don't want to do that right now."

What's wrong with the Bosch wires? Insert them into the clips before putting the clips in the tin, and enjoy a few laps around the globe per set. Keep them from touching each other and/or chafing, and they just might last forever.

Robbie

Pushing 40.000 miles on my Bosch plug wires. installed when the engine was rebuilt. No problems no defects no issues what so ever. I'll keep em. And most likely buy another set. But I may not need to at this rate.

Just an observation here. In my 40 odd years of messing with VW's I have never come across a plug wire set that had those little cover boots on them like that. Is it a Euro thing or what?

I have never seen these seals on an engine known to be that way from the factory. I have seen them put on at dealers back in the day.

I will say I have found that they cut down on arcing issues in very humid environments because the Bosch spark plug tip connector...the little clip connecting just across a single thread on the end of the sparkplug....is not ideal and has a lot of flash over on a high vibration engine...and lots of room for humidity to penetrate between bake light and spark plug and form condensation.

One odd thing....when these seals were noted I remembered them and remembered that I have not seen them in eons. I looked in my 411/412 parts book to see if the first type 4 engines even had a parts listing for this.

and....no....but I just noted something else I probably had seen over my decades of working on type 4....and just never made a note of.

It lists a part # of 113 035 255 A at 62mm length for the bakelite connector cylinders 1 and 3.....and it lists a part # of 021 035 255 at 85mm length for cylinder 4 and one of part # 021 035 255 B of 98mm length for cylinder number 2.

I had never really noted that cylinder 2's connector was 13mm longer than #4. Rolling Eyes Laughing getting old. But...yes....too many times I have found the same length part on new sets and was always pissed that the air seal does not fit tightly on one cylinder. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Bosch Spark plug Wires vs...... Reply with quote

I know in the type 1 engine world the newer Bosch wires are too fat to easily fit in the stock wire holders in the fan shroud.
I ordered German DENSO and German PVL wires from Rock Auto for under $40....for both sets. The Densos are on my bug right now and the quality was really good. Not sure about the type 4 wires, if they are much different but I've been having really good luck with Rock Auto for my wear items on the VWs for the past year plus. As with anywhere else, research the part a little before hitting the "buy" button. They do have some high quality stuff on offer there.

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Bosch Spark plug Wires vs...... Reply with quote

ROCKOROD71 wrote:
I know in the type 1 engine world the newer Bosch wires are too fat to easily fit in the stock wire holders in the fan shroud.
I ordered German DENSO and German PVL wires from Rock Auto for under $40....for both sets. The Densos are on my bug right now and the quality was really good. Not sure about the type 4 wires, if they are much different but I've been having really good luck with Rock Auto for my wear items on the VWs for the past year plus. As with anywhere else, research the part a little before hitting the "buy" button. They do have some high quality stuff on offer there.

Totally agree on Rockauto. They have the entire range of quality....and they lay it ou5 well. But you need...as you note....to look at what they have.. copy part numbers down....and open another Google page and research reviews on parts you do not recognize.

Great prices and service. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
honestcharlie56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Bosch Spark plug Wires vs...... Reply with quote

Just picked up the AutoZone wires for the engine I threw together for my bus. Just to add more to the thread, they fit great and did bear the "beru" label.
sodbuster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Bosch Spark plug Wires vs...... Reply with quote

Just put a set of these plug wires from NAPA on my new motor. https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BEL700176 Look very much the same quality as the set autozone offers. Even though you cannot see it in the illistration this set has the secondary boots over the ends of the spark plug connectors as well.

I just put the motor in and got it running over the weekend. I am still breaking it in and only have 30 miles on it. But so far so good on the plug wires. Easy install including mounting into the loom hangers on the shroud.
Yarkle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Bosch Spark plug Wires vs...... Reply with quote

the autozone ones do NOT have the seconday seals if that is important.. they show them in the picture but they arent in the box

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=771024&highlight=
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: