Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

beginning painting
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
giddy up
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:44 am    Post subject: beginning painting Reply with quote

so i have had 3 quotes on painting my 69. all have come in around $7000CAN! i have removed everything sanded down the entire car ready for primer, removed all fenders, removed all rust filled all. the car is smooth and ready for spray filler and paint. blown away at how much it costs to get a paint job done. so.........im doing it myself. used to spray furniture for a living so i think it is something that i can tackle. testing my skills on the smaller parts first. gonna spend money on a new spray gun and paint and primer. figure i can save about $6K. i want to spray fill the car before i paint to remove all imperfections. any recommendations on a product that would work best for this?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: beginning painting Reply with quote

Talk to your local paint store rep & tell him what you want to do. Most of these shops will get you lined up with all the materials to do the job. Try to keep all the materials compatible, some paints do not like some filler primers & sealers.
Get a different gun for spaying the primers on the car, you really do not want to have bits of prime coming out when you are laying down the paint.
Best of luck.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: beginning painting Reply with quote

CUSTOM PAINTING by Tom Brownell will answer your bodywork/painting questions.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
swharris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: beginning painting Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
CUSTOM PAINTING by Tom Brownell will answer your bodywork/painting questions.

The first printing was June 1, 1965! Let's hope it's been updated? Products have changed significantly, but the basics are still the same obviously.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
swharris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: beginning painting Reply with quote

giddy up wrote:
so i have had 3 quotes on painting my 69. all have come in around $7000CAN!

When I restored my '69 bug in the early 90's I think I paid $700US. That was to fix all my horrible bodywork and paint it Zenith blue(I hated the '69 light blue). I know that was a long time ago, but wow that is 1k% increase!

Best of luck on your project. Are you shooting single stage or base/clear??
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
giddy up
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: beginning painting Reply with quote

swharris wrote:
giddy up wrote:
so i have had 3 quotes on painting my 69. all have come in around $7000CAN!

When I restored my '69 bug in the early 90's I think I paid $700US. That was to fix all my horrible bodywork and paint it Zenith blue(I hated the '69 light blue). I know that was a long time ago, but wow that is 1k% increase!

Best of luck on your project. Are you shooting single stage or base/clear??

Not sure. I will contact a supplier and get their opinion as I’m a newbie. Would like to use a base and a clear I think.
swharris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: beginning painting Reply with quote

[/quote]
Not sure. I will contact a supplier and get their opinion as I’m a newbie. Would like to use a base and a clear I think.[/quote]

The single stage will be a bit cheaper in product costs, as with the two-part you obviously have double the supplies.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: beginning painting Reply with quote

Acrylic Lacquer BC/CC sprays flat easy! Polishes out professional looking. Clear protects the paint from rock chips. Easy to spot repair! Never needs to be waxed just washed.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: beginning painting Reply with quote

This may be redundant but it will make sure your head is in the right place:

I would practice on painting non showing and or interior pieces with Single Part paint to keep the learning curve easy.Two Part Paint requires a Fresh Air Respirator because there is no allowable amount to inhale. It's VERY hazardous!The less hassle the easier it's going to be.

If you can feel transition points in a body panel(like where filler has been used), you will certainly be able to see it once it is painted.Prep is the majority involvement in painting.

The paint has to thinned so the gun is capable to spray it without being too thick or too thin and the gun has to have the ability along with the correct nozzle to do so.
Your movement of the gun must also be so the layer is not too thick or too thin. Too far it dries on it's way there and too thick it will run.

My experience with a siphon gun is that if you don't have some 'Bounce Back' of the Spay;( the mist actually hits the panel and bounces back on you), the paint/air won't properly mix and give a smooth finish so you have to have enough bounce back.
swharris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: beginning painting Reply with quote

theKbStockpiler wrote:
This may be redundant but it will make sure your head is in the right place:

Two Part Paint requires a Fresh Air Respirator because there is no allowable amount to inhale. It's VERY hazardous!The less hassle the easier it's going to be.

That is the case with any modern catalyzed paint. Single stage or two stage. It is the isocyanates in the catalyzed paint that is at issue. Use a supplied respirator when spraying anything with an isocyanate.
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: beginning painting Reply with quote

The info I had was that Respirator Manufacturers would not put in writing that THEIR mask was recommended for isocyanates. I have heard of people using only a mask but it was not recommended and big shops won't spray it unless they have a booth and a Fresh Air Respirator.

Thanks for the correction on the One Stage with the hardener. Very Happy
giddy up
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:08 am    Post subject: Re: beginning painting Reply with quote

so from all the comments and research this is what i think im leaning towards at this stage. please feel free to send your input. car is sanded to 150. think im going to spray with evercoat "slick sand". will be purchasing a gun with a 2.0 head for this as i have a better quality gun that i only want to use for final paint. taking evercoat to get properly shaken and applying coats until deadly smooth. going to get a single stage PPG paint and apply after completely wet sanded. i have a proper respirator so that is not an issue. my biggest most pain in the ass problem is trying to find the space to properly spray my car in my area. neighbours are getting cranky already from the work. the hunt is on for a space to work my magic. a question i have also is, if i apply a single stage paint, is that a done deal or can i choose to apply a clear coat if im not satisfied with the end result? looking forward to the next chapter

giddy up
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: beginning painting Reply with quote

You may spray clear over the single stage. There are a bunch of things that you will have to watch for.
Compatibility.
You will have to completely sand the paint in order to get the clear to stick, if you do not sand it properly the clear will peel off in those areas. If you sand to hard the sand scratches will show through the clear.
As this is your first go at painting, stick to the single stage & wet sand as required.
I am sure others have tried this & may chime in with information. Cheers
swharris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: beginning painting Reply with quote

giddy up wrote:
so from all the comments and research this is what i think im leaning towards at this stage. please feel free to send your input. car is sanded to 150. think im going to spray with evercoat "slick sand". will be purchasing a gun with a 2.0 head for this as i have a better quality gun that i only want to use for final paint. taking evercoat to get properly shaken and applying coats until deadly smooth. going to get a single stage PPG paint and apply after completely wet sanded. i have a proper respirator so that is not an issue. my biggest most pain in the ass problem is trying to find the space to properly spray my car in my area. neighbours are getting cranky already from the work. the hunt is on for a space to work my magic. a question i have also is, if i apply a single stage paint, is that a done deal or can i choose to apply a clear coat if im not satisfied with the end result? looking forward to the next chapter

giddy up

Sorry to belabor the point, but by "respirator" do you mean this?

If so, that is not safe. If shooting Iso's you should at minimum have something supplying fresh air from outside your shooting environment. Some will tell you that if you are shooting is a modern downdraft booth with great flow, you are safe to use just a mask. The research does not support that though. Nitrile gloves and not latex are a must too as well as a full disposable hooded suit. http://www.bodyshopbusiness.com/your-lungs-your-skin-your-life/

If you've not visited Autobodystore.com, you should. Old and clunky site, but lots of fantastic information on painting. Good forum. Prices on products are really good too. I have no affiliation btw.

http://autobodystore.com/
Al Huva
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: beginning painting Reply with quote

Seeing that you are in British Columbia and the Low Voc laws are in effect I would spray single stage that you can get at Napa or Lordco . If you go base clear most of the bases are water based and as I understand you may need different guns etc and then your clear is solvent based . As others would say pls spend the time getting the body super smooth as the B/C will show your imperfections while SS is little more forgiving. You may be able to find a paint store that has B/C solvent based Hope that helps Practice with the high build primer block it out get your technique down and then paint your beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: beginning painting Reply with quote

Hardener is bad Sh.t. Shocked

I'm using ZeroRust because it gets pretty hard without a hardener on everything except the visible exterior where it will get something different. It is significantly better than rattle can products even One Part Epoxy and Rustoleum Professional which is good. They advertise it as a phenolic modified alkyd. I have used it before, it's dries noticeably hard and is sticky like ink before it dries. They should have named it " Will Stick to Anything Paint'. You cant paint right over rust like they claim but it is a decent product. They also claim because it does not have a hardener,it's the safest ,hardest paint available.

I have sprayed Napa Enamel and the durability is not as good as factory paint but it is not bad. I think paint with hardener is overkill unless you are going to have to wash it all the time or is in a harsh environment like driving down dirt roads, parking lots, etcetera. There are a lot of expensive restorations that don't hold up to rust with Hard paint so I don't think it is better in that respect.

If you use the Waterbourne Based Paints , only the clear coat has hardener in it so you will greatly reduce your exposure that way. You have to use a clear coat though. Sad
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: beginning painting Reply with quote

You can get low VOC solvent based base coat. The clear......well that is the ISO killer. Stick with the single stage low VOC & polish if you need. Respirators can be personal choice. I use a charcoal full face mask, but I only paint my own stuff now. I have a fresh air mask when I used to paint full time. You will need a separate compressor to feed a fresh air mask.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: