Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oil leak, crank case breathing and Scat Porsche Style Fan shroud
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:30 pm    Post subject: Oil leak, crank case breathing and Scat Porsche Style Fan shroud Reply with quote

The engine in my bus is a 1776, mild cam (Engle 110?) 044 heads with dual springs and from day 1 it has leaked a little oil - I think from the fan belt pulley.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I have read that this is most likely due to excessive crank case pressure so was looking to improve breathing. The Scat Porsche Fan style kit from VW Heritage (https://www.vwheritage.com/ac11925085-porsche-fan-housing-kit-twin-port-1300-1600cc-vw-spare) blocks off the normal oil filler point and fuel pump area so my filler is a type 3 style filler into the deep sump.

There is therefore nowhere to connect a crank case breather in the 'normal' way. Both rocker covers have a breather port

and these are normally connected to the breather box that came with the kit - I'm told this should provide sufficient breathing for an engine of this spec but doesn't explain why I have an oil leak symptematic of excess crank case pressure.

What are my options for getting better breathing - if I can fit a port then I'll connect it to the breather port on the air filter.

Apologies for the quality of the photos - I'm aware thefan belt has inverted itself but I'm not sure why - it will be replaced.

Many thanks,

Dave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil leak, crank case breathing and Scat Porsche Style Fan shroud Reply with quote

My guess: venting the valve covers is not going to make up for eliminating the vent from the top of the case. The issue is possibly exaggerated by the shallow/ poorly cut grooves on some aftermarket crankshaft pulleys.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil leak, crank case breathing and Scat Porsche Style Fan shroud Reply with quote

Rarely have I ever seen such a strange combination of parts bolted together.
If there was a contest for that, you win!!

Machine it for a lip seal with the berg tool, and gt a Berg pulley to match.
No more leaks. I don't think the breathing "problem" is worth "fixing", IMO just take the right vent tube, put it in a loop and aim down. Plug the left. Good enough.
bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil leak, crank case breathing and Scat Porsche Style Fan shroud Reply with quote

Thanks for the compliments Modok - it's nice to be in line for a prize!

Is this the tool you refer to?
http://www.geneberg.com/cat.php?cPath=14_403&osCsid=eff454d83c06401db6f5bd3a776c50a2

I'll pull the pulley this weekend and check the grooves. I'd still like to get the case to breath if there is an option - I cannot be the only person on the planet with this fan housing kit?

Thanks, Dave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil leak, crank case breathing and Scat Porsche Style Fan shroud Reply with quote

yes. that tool works OK, I have had a few cases done that way.

I take a stock pulley and turn down the diameter to fit the seal. A steel pulley is the way to go. The darn aluminum pulleys are a blight upon us, good for nothing.
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil leak, crank case breathing and Scat Porsche Style Fan shroud Reply with quote

modok wrote:

I take a stock pulley and turn down the diameter to fit the seal. A steel pulley is the way to go. The darn aluminum pulleys are a blight upon us, good for nothing.

Modok, why not a glue in sand seal? I've only used one, but it's owner hasn't come back so I suspect it's still doing the job..
bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil leak, crank case breathing and Scat Porsche Style Fan shroud Reply with quote

Thanks for your comments.

Berg's website would suggest that unless you are racing in dirt or sand (which I am not) then you should not need a seal and a leak at the pulley should be fixed by rectifying whatever engine problem is causing it:
http://www.geneberg.com/cat.php?cPath=7_228_2835

I do need to check the pulley has adequate oil grooves and it has been suggested that a mild 1776 should not suffer in this way, even without good crank case breathing, but I cannot help but think the lack of breathing and the oil leak are linked... I had considered fitting a breather pipe to the oil filler but as that comes off the deep sump it should be permanently submerged in oil and therefore won't breath so well that way.

I'll remove the shroud tomorrow and see where I can tap the case and route a breather pipe (but I'm still open to suggestions Smile )

Many thanks,

Dave

Last edited by bally on Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil leak, crank case breathing and Scat Porsche Style Fan shroud Reply with quote

esde wrote:
modok wrote:

Modok, why not a glue in sand seal? I've only used one, but it's owner hasn't come back so I suspect it's still doing the job..

I have not seen one that was good enough, but then again I have not looked either.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil leak, crank case breathing and Scat Porsche Style Fan shroud Reply with quote

bally wrote:

Berg's website would suggest that unless you are racing in dirt or sand (which I am not) then you should not need a seal and a leak at the pulley should be fixed by rectifying whatever engine problem is causing it:

I'll remove the shroud tomorrow and see where I can tap the case and route a breather pipe (but I'm still open to suggestions Smile )

Many thanks,

Dave

Why would you be interested in what Gene Berg thought about seals but not any other part of the engine?
Think
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil leak, crank case breathing and Scat Porsche Style Fan shroud Reply with quote

Ive never had any issues with the cb push/glue in sand seal's.Ive even used just the seal and machined stock pully then add the spacer kit for clearance. so..I would sand seal it with push in/glue in sand seal kit(cb or scat) and vent both valve covers with 1/2" min hose dia.(5/8 wood be better and make sure the fittings have big id) dont vent them to the carbs!!!.
bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil leak, crank case breathing and Scat Porsche Style Fan shroud Reply with quote

modok wrote:
bally wrote:

Many thanks,

Dave

Why would you be interested in what Gene Berg thought about seals but not any other part of the engine?
Think

Because seals is what we're discussing here - I haven't read the rest of his website
bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil leak, crank case breathing and Scat Porsche Style Fan shroud Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
Ive never had any issues with the cb push/glue in sand seal's.Ive even used just the seal and machined stock pully then add the spacer kit for clearance. so..I would sand seal it with push in/glue in sand seal kit(cb or scat) and vent both valve covers with 1/2" min hose dia.(5/8 wood be better and make sure the fittings have big id) dont vent them to the carbs!!!.

Thanks, I'll look into it. The rocker covers are currently vented to a breather box in the engine bay (when the engine's installed) and if I fit a crank case breather port I intend to connect that to the air filter.

Out of interest, why do you say not to connect the rocker cover breathing to the carbs?
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:25 am    Post subject: Re: Oil leak, crank case breathing and Scat Porsche Style Fan shroud Reply with quote

The reason the case vents to the airfilter is to reduce emissions.
it's burns it's own burps, for the sake of smog....or something.
However, burps do not have a good octane rating, and slightly unpredictable, so if you are pushing the limits of that it's an advantage NOT to do that.
In the mid 2000's a lot of the turbo subarus broke ring lands. Why? not sure but, One possibility is the breathers were actually the cause. It was a highly convoluted system, and after all it is difficult case, being a essentially 2.5 litre type1 VW engine......too much engine packed into a small box with very short rods.

You can go really nuts with the breather system, bring it up to modern standards and beyond, however it's just not very exciting. I've been meaning to make a PCV system for years, but never got around to it. Always bigger problems or more interesting things to play with.
The one hose pointed at the ground is working well enough for me, as it did for basically every engine prior to 1966.

Thinking about it more, yeah I was wrong you can't just vent one valve cover. What if you turn left? Shocked All the oil will fall out.
Vent the top. You never drive upside-down. Never thought about it Laughing

You have a GOL fan....how did the breather on a GOL work? Need to ask our Brazil members.....
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:53 am    Post subject: Re: Oil leak, crank case breathing and Scat Porsche Style Fan shroud Reply with quote

Or google Very Happy

bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:08 am    Post subject: Re: Oil leak, crank case breathing and Scat Porsche Style Fan shroud Reply with quote

Good detective work Modok and thanks for the breathing lesson - I'm not after fire breathing performance - just the ability to go up hills at modern highway speeds and not leak oil.

Google is great if you know what you're looking for - I'll do some more research on Gol parts. My fan base looks to be slimmer than that of the Gol - I'm not sure there is room for that oil filler/breather shown - I'll get a better look, and better pictures, tomorrow

Thanks, Dave
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Oil leak, crank case breathing and Scat Porsche Style Fan shroud Reply with quote

Add a breather box and maybe tap the case and add another fitting for a vent (lots of guys do it but when the case is apart).

If that does not work measure your pulley and get a bolt in sand seal (Empi, JayCee, and CB have alum pulley with a steel snout sleeve so wear is not an issue). Either that or cut your case and your existing pulley and use a press in sand seal like Glen recommended above.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Oil leak, crank case breathing and Scat Porsche Style Fan shroud Reply with quote

bally wrote:

Google is great if you know what you're looking for -
Thanks, Dave

I use GOOGLE quite a bit but I use a VISUAL search and not "text" search....

Try GOOGLE IMAGES and put in search string and see what pictures pop up.... Many images you don't care about but the one or two that seems to go in correction direction I follow it to the "site" using VISIT button......

As example...

http://lmgtfy.com/?t=i&q=VW+aircooled+crank+case+breather

One never knows what may turn up... Opens up large world of ideas...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
old gh bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Oil leak, crank case breathing and Scat Porsche Style Fan shroud Reply with quote

I have a similar setup but on a 2110 and I also had crank case pressure problems I thought it was the pulley so I fitted a sand seal but it still didn’t solve the problem. I also vented the fuel pump location . But what i did find that worked was to vent the oil filler, this may work for you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stripped66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Oil leak, crank case breathing and Scat Porsche Style Fan shroud Reply with quote

modok wrote:

You have a GOL fan....

No, he doesn't. It's a Porsche-style kit, most likely manufactured by Rock West Racing.

I don't think electrickery works that way
bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil leak, crank case breathing and Scat Porsche Style Fan shroud Reply with quote

74 Thing wrote:
Add a breather box and maybe tap the case and add another fitting for a vent (lots of guys do it but when the case is apart).

If that does not work measure your pulley and get a bolt in sand seal (Empi, JayCee, and CB have alum pulley with a steel snout sleeve so wear is not an issue). Either that or cut your case and your existing pulley and use a press in sand seal like Glen recommended above.

Thanks - I have a breather box linked to the rocker covers and as it turns out the power pulley has a sand seal in it.

I have taken the fan assembly to the local shop and they have modified it to take a breather through the stock breathing location - hopefully that will work!
I'll post some pictures of the new breather once I collect it, hopefully tomorrow.

Thanks, Dave
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: