Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Odometer repair
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:47 am    Post subject: Odometer repair Reply with quote

Having failed miserably to get my 6 volt VDO Clock to work on my '58, I've now turned my attention to the non-functioning odometer.

The speedo function is fine but I'm not racking up the miles...is there an easy fix (they said that about the clock) or am I likely to be a miserable failure on this one too Confused Wink
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
70 140
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will need some parts. The gears that drive the odometer tend to wear out or strip.

They are a real PITA to fix, even if you have the correct bits. As much as I hate to say it - time to pay someone else. Maybe Thom will chip in with the name of the guy who did his clock, speedo and Tach.
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

70 140 wrote:
You will need some parts. The gears that drive the odometer tend to wear out or strip.

They are a real PITA to fix, even if you have the correct bits. As much as I hate to say it - time to pay someone else. Maybe Thom will chip in with the name of the guy who did his clock, speedo and Tach.

Perhaps North Hollywood Speedometer would give me a quote to fix the odometer and change my non-functioning clock to a Tach. Confused

Any donations kindy received Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mygreenbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I highly recommedn North Hollywood Speedo. I first used them in 1988 when we lived in SoCal and continue to do so in here FLA. They did the clock on our Ghia. I think there prices are fair and the work excellent.
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mywifesghia wrote:
I highly recommedn North Hollywood Speedo. I first used them in 1988 when we lived in SoCal and continue to do so in here FLA. They did the clock on our Ghia. I think there prices are fair and the work excellent.

Yes I've heard nothing but good reports of North Hollywood Speedo but I might have to go with someone closer to home. Confused
walkerman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
70 140 wrote:

Perhaps North Hollywood Speedometer would give me a quote to fix the odometer and change my non-functioning clock to a Tach. Confused

Any donations kindy received Wink

They converted my clock to a tach...and kept all of the lights, signals and gas guage in working order. A real good job...
mygreenbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
mywifesghia wrote:

Yes I've heard nothing but good reports of North Hollywood Speedo but I might have to go with someone closer to home. Confused

If you know anyone who owns a DeTomaso Pantera in the UK check with them and see who they use. Many of the old tachs were converted to run with electronic ignition. (mine was done at NH Speedo). Anyway they have a good gorup over there and might be able to help.
Tall Bloke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Odometer repair Reply with quote

Resurecting an old thread - 10 years + 3 weeks.

John - how did you get on with your repair for the odometer, as I have the same issue - brass 10 tooth gear inside the cable drive worn beyond use?

I have found a supplier in the UK to replace gear on shaft in the UK, but not cheap -cost of used decent beetle speedo - which I could use as spares.

Tim
paul_round
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Odometer repair Reply with quote

I have a speedo I need fixing too, anyone used Speedy Cables?
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Odometer repair Reply with quote

Steve, the SpeedoKing on samba probably has the parts you need. He has done several speedos for me and has the parts. Shipping shouldn't be too bad on small parts.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Andre@KGPR/Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Odometer repair Reply with quote

We’ve offered this service for 100 years. We also zero out odometers on rebuilt speedos for no charge now. It used to be a $20 option...

That said, NH Speedo is great, as is the other outfit in Palo Alto, CA.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calexican
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Odometer repair Reply with quote

^^^sent mine here and am very happy with the results^^^
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:41 am    Post subject: Re: Odometer repair Reply with quote

Tall Bloke wrote:
Resurecting an old thread - 10 years + 3 weeks.

John - how did you get on with your repair for the odometer, as I have the same issue - brass 10 tooth gear inside the cable drive worn beyond use?

I have found a supplier in the UK to replace gear on shaft in the UK, but not cheap -cost of used decent beetle speedo - which I could use as spares.

Tim

I didn't Tim...replaced with another period Ghia Speedo.
Dash76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: Odometer repair Reply with quote

I'd be interested in hearing what you decided to do?

I have the same problem and not having much here in Europe finding a solution. Someone suggest Kraut Classic Parts in Germany, but they have issue get late model KG parts at the moment, or so the story goes.
Tall Bloke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: Odometer repair Reply with quote

I needed the brass cog in the odometer drive- which I found a company in the UK had - I sent small shaft to them, they removed old worn cog and pressed on the new brass replacement - I reassembled - It now works perfectly.

website -http://www.jdo1.com
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: