Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'93 Eurovan "skid plate" bolts
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sageandspirit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:06 pm    Post subject: '93 Eurovan "skid plate" bolts Reply with quote

According to our local quick oil change shop, the bolts that hold the "skid plate" - that's what I call it anyway, it's the metal piece underneath the engine that needs to be removed in order to get at the oil filter & drain plug...these bolts I was told are stripped, and if they were to remove the plate, they would not be able to reinstall the plate using the same bolts. This is a 1993 Eurovan MV with the 2.5 and AT. The shop said that if I can bring them the correct replacement bolts to install after they did the oil change, it would be no problem - they did not do the oil change yesterday, or remove the plate entirely, because of the stripped bolts.

Can someone here tell me the correct size bolts that I need to get for this skid plate, so that it can be removed and reinstalled properly after getting an oil change? The shop also said that they could likely get the bolts locally themselves, if I wanted to leave the van with them for awhile. They would do the oil change, leave the plate off temporarily, get the right bolts and reinstall the plate later that day. But I would prefer not to leave the van with them, and just bring them the right bolts myself...

thanks,
Harold
'93 Eurovan MV w/112k miles
'87 Vanagon Wolfsburg Ed. weekender, w/pop top
pioneer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:47 pm    Post subject: skid plate Reply with quote

The "belly pan" is held on by 4 (or more) metric thread bolts-socket 13 mm. On the head it has a 4 and 10.9. I hope that helps.

'85 Porsche 911 Targa

'76 Westfalia project
shepherdsond
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm,
That will work if the bolts are striped but in my experience it is more likely that the threads in the van chasis are stripped, in which case you will need a helicoil or something. If I was you and I did not want to fix it myself I would probably take it to a real mechanic and have them fix it when they change the oil. On the other hand it is no problem to drive without the belly pan so you could give the bolts to the quick change place and if they cannot put the pan back on you can carry it back home in the back (it could be oily so bring appropriate rags etc.) and then have a mechanic fix it...
GMByers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make this modification to your EV belly pan. Then you won't have to keep removing it just to change oil.

http://www.netfev.org/rialta/model_info/modificati...520101.pdf
snowsyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: '93 Eurovan "skid plate" bolts Reply with quote

sageandspirit wrote:
According to our local quick oil change shop, the bolts that hold the "skid plate" - that's what I call it anyway, it's the metal piece underneath the engine that needs to be removed in order to get at the oil filter & drain plug...

I call that the "diaper pan". I have four of them stacked up, because they come off at the first oil change, and they stay off. I think their purpose is noise suppression, maybe some miniscule aerodynamic advantage, but nothing you would ever notice driving a breadbox down the highway.

I have not noticed any difference with the pan on or off. The biggest PITA for me is that, whenever I drop anything in the engine bay, it seemingly never makes it to the ground. It gets stuck in that oily diaper mess, and then you have to remove the damn pan to get it back.

Around here, you just end up with a flimsy hunk of rusty sheet metal after a few years, supporting a sodden oily diaper.

RonC
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with that. I leave them off for good.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
James 93SLC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xoo00oox wrote:
I agree with that. I leave them off for good.

X2

Our Passat had one and I replaced it once after it broke off on the highway. Scared the poop outta me it was so loud grinding on the road.

After the second one cracked and started to come apart, I just left it off. No ill effects for 3 more years.
-------------------------
Photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/slc.corrado
--------------------------------------------------------
tencentlife "Sometimes a pooka is a problem and sometimes it's just a pooka"
r.e.wing_fc3s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the undertrays have many purposes. aerodynamic/sound accoustics and helping to keep spray/road grit out and engine protection on some, and im inclined to think the manufacturers wouldnt spend money on them for nothing. Vw/audi have by far the most convuluted breakeasy design. they could really take some notes from bmw and mercedes. people who park by braille often hang them up. not great offroad either. rivnuts work well for reattaching the eurovan undertray.
Vanielcraig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: '93 Eurovan "skid plate" bolts Reply with quote

Just as an update. The bolt is an 8mm 10.9, with a 13mm head. Most hardware stores have them. My internal threads where messed up but I was able to re-tap them to clean them up and the bolts held fine. You could probably retap to 9mm without re-drilling if they were really bad.
tds3pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r.e.wing_fc3s wrote:
the undertrays have many purposes. aerodynamic/sound accoustics and helping to keep spray/road grit out and engine protection on some, and im inclined to think the manufacturers wouldnt spend money on them for nothing. Vw/audi have by far the most convuluted breakeasy design. they could really take some notes from bmw and mercedes. people who park by braille often hang them up. not great offroad either. rivnuts work well for reattaching the eurovan undertray.

Agree that the belly pan has several purposes. The body metal is undoubtedly
stripped out here, not the bolts. Rivnuts are an easy solution. I would also consider cutting off the rear third of the belly pan as others have said to make it easier to handle and also make oil and filter changes doable without removal. The rear third offers no protection for the engine and serp belt from water and dirt.
'79 Westy...Oscar
'95 Eurovan Camper/5 spd...Marsha Mellow
57 Zwitter?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: '93 Eurovan "skid plate" bolts Reply with quote

I go on Ebay and buy stainless steel (NEVER RUST) 8mm x 1" long bolts. I use them on Bugs for bumpers, fenders etc etc. They also fit my Eurovan front pan, there are 2 on each side. If your holes in the frame are no good you will have to drill larger, tap and use a helicoil. There is also a different setup on the rear that have the 2 metal fingers that hook into slots on the frame and are secured with studs/ nuts and rubber cushions. Mine were seized and broke when I tried to remove the rusted nuts. I never repaired them and just rely on the 2 bolts on each side to hold it in place
57 Zwitter?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: '93 Eurovan "skid plate" bolts Reply with quote

GMB yers, I followed your link and just got someone wanting me to send them money to join a service page! I know I saw a Rialta page somewhere that showed the exact specs on where to cut the hole in the belly an for changing oil filter. Anyone know where to find it?
DenverB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: '93 Eurovan "skid plate" bolts Reply with quote

that trick of cutting an access hole in the pan doesn't work on the 93-95 models. the oil filter is way too tucked up above the pan to reach without removing the pan itself.

I also don't like that modification because you don't get a good view of everything else under the van because you never remove the pan. an oil chnage is the best time to loook up under the hood for leaks, cracks, etc.
'84 Vanagon Westfalia (Pink Flamingo - Pastel White/Pink)
'88 Vanagon GL Westfalia (Frankie Says - Wolfram Gray)
'02 Eurovan Weekender (Green Apple)
'95-'03 Eurovan full campers and weekenders (rental fleet)
'84 -'91 Vanagon full campers and weekenders (rental fleet)
'72 Porsche 914 (Greta - RIP)

www.RockyMountainCampervans.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DenverB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tds3pete wrote:
r.e.wing_fc3s wrote:

stripped out here, not the bolts. Rivnuts are an easy solution. I would also consider cutting off the rear third of the belly pan as others have said to make it easier to handle and also make oil and filter changes doable without removal. The rear third offers no protection for the engine and serp belt from water and dirt.

How would it hang if you cut out the rear 1/3? it literally is supported by two brackets out the backside...
'84 Vanagon Westfalia (Pink Flamingo - Pastel White/Pink)
'88 Vanagon GL Westfalia (Frankie Says - Wolfram Gray)
'02 Eurovan Weekender (Green Apple)
'95-'03 Eurovan full campers and weekenders (rental fleet)
'84 -'91 Vanagon full campers and weekenders (rental fleet)
'72 Porsche 914 (Greta - RIP)

www.RockyMountainCampervans.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tds3pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DenverB wrote:
tds3pete wrote:
r.e.wing_fc3s wrote:

How would it hang if you cut out the rear 1/3? it literally is supported by two brackets out the backside...

Once the rear is gone, the front four bolts hold the remaining pan up just fine.

It is also much easier to manage when it is smaller. I always drop it when I change the filter, but I have cut enough out that it is not necessary.
'79 Westy...Oscar
'95 Eurovan Camper/5 spd...Marsha Mellow
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: