Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Paypal woes
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:01 pm    Post subject: Paypal woes Reply with quote

I've made numerous purchases of Ghia parts using Paypal and also, when I sold items, received payment via Paypal. Not any more. I think they have changed their systems. (I've been trying in vain to buy a speedometer from adverstisers on the Samba.) I wrote to Paypal as follows:

"The PayPal Team

I don't usually tell people why I walk away from their establishment after disappointing service. My practice is to pay and walk away in silence. I'm going to make an exception in your case because I think you have a good product that is being messed up in the poor service to users. Here's the history:

1. I subscribed some years ago - with a South African address and credit card.
2. I moved to New Zealand and registered a NZ address and also a NZ credit card.
3. For years I was still able to buy goods and pay with either card, and have the goods delivered to my NZ address.
4. I then cancelled my SA credit card at the end of 2015.
5. Until recently, I could use my NZ credit card and goods were delivered to my NZ address. When I sold something the payment was made into my NZ credit card account. When I paid the money was taken from the same account.
6. Recently, I received a payment for a sale to the USA. The money was NOT paid into my credit card account, but sat in my Paypal account.
7. This week I tried to make another purchase. Twice the seller refunded the money, apparently because Paypal insisted that the goods must be shipped to South Africa.
8. Paypal advised me to close my account and open a new one with New Zealand as my "nationality".
9. I tried. *** knows I tried, but Paypal wouldn't close the account because the retained funds - see 6. above - were still in it. I tried to withdraw the funds but I was asked to open a US bank account (for which I have no use). I tried customer services, your help facility, all to no avail. I was being sent around in circles.
10. I eventually refunded the payer the funds sitting in my Paypal account and Paypal in a demonstration of sudden and unexpected customer care allowed me to close my account.
11. Now you want to know why I closed it. See the above. The account had become useless to me. I couldn't sell, I couldn't buy, and what's worse, when I did manage to sell, Paypal kept the funds away from me.
12. I even tried to take Paypal up on the offer to subscribe again, but guess what? I get directed to a US Paypal site which requires me to provide US zip codes and addresses.

No BS. That's how it happened.

Yours sincerely (assuming I'm speaking to a human being and not a computer)"

----------------

I received an automated reply telling me to go to their website and customer services pages. Cue slow rotations on a hamster's wheel.

Am I the only one having trouble here?
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Paypal woes Reply with quote

That's a bummer Chris, sorry for all the issues.
I've been using paypal for at least 5-6 years or more, i cant recall any real problems. (of course I am located in the USA). Once I bought a EMPI steering wheel hub, it was advertised as genuine. When i examined it, i found it to be just a good re-pop and would not fit my steering wheel. Paypal refunded me after I submitted detailed explanation.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Paypal woes Reply with quote

I am in the personalized wine, Champagne, and sparkling cider business. Hence the name Ciderguy. We produce wedding favors to name one of the items we sell.

I've been using PayPal plus another bank for credit card processing for at least 12 years. I have never had an issue using my PayPal balance which at times can be as high as 20K. You can move the money to your bank or bank card easily.

I use my PayPal balance often to buy goods and services for my business without so much as a hiccup.

As far as addresses or shipping address you can 'register' more then one. This past Christmas I shipped gifts all over the country.

My only thought is that if you're doing something unusual for you. Meaning how you normally use your account, they may have balked.
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Paypal woes Reply with quote

CiderGuy wrote:
As far as addresses or shipping address you can 'register' more than one. This past Christmas I shipped gifts all over the country.

My only thought is that if you're doing something unusual for you. Meaning how you normally use your account, they may have balked.

I've done nothing different. But PP has changed its platform and systems. And it doesn't respond to questions. It looks like it wants me to become an American. With a US address and bank account. Not that I would mind, but I'm from one of those you-know-what hole countries. Wink wink.

I must be really bad for PP to treat me like this.
CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Paypal woes Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:
CiderGuy wrote:
As far as addresses or shipping address you can 'register' more than one. This past Christmas I shipped gifts all over the country.

I've done nothing different. But PP has changed its platform and systems. And it doesn't respond to questions. It looks like it wants me to become an American. With a US address and bank account. Not that I would mind, but I'm from one of those you-know-what hole countries. Wink wink.

I must be really bad for PP to treat me like this.

I agree

I've found that using email to set up a phone call worked best for me when I need to contact them. Living in a ,...., hole country is rough, our pres says .....,..

I hope you can settle the issue with PP.

If all else fails, maybe a public spanking would be in order ..... Good luck.

1970 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1973 Karmann Ghia Coupe - Project car for sale
1970 Karmann Ghia Convertible (Body off restoration)

Timing is everything
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Paypal woes Reply with quote

The mystery deepens. I asked another advertiser on the Samba of a speedo if I could pay by direct bank transfer of the funds into his account and he said that he wasn't set up to sell to overseas customers except by Paypal. Safer for everybody, he said.

Which leaves me with this question: As late as November last year I had no problem buying and selling using Paypal. I've had no bad transactions, no goods returned - by or to me - no disputes about payment or fees. Nothing.

Smooth as silk one day, and a serious malfunction the next. With no means to find out why.

It's easy to phone them when you're in the USA, but I am on the you-know-what hole side of the planet.

Can I ask you guys in the USA this: Does Paypal force you to use their address labels when you buy or sell through them? If not, how difficult is it to accept the payment and to address the parcel yourself and to deliver it to USPS?
Karly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Paypal woes Reply with quote

I had an issue with my pay pal quite a few years ago - I actually phoned them - the experience was remarkably pleasant took about 10 minutes and sorted my account out - may be something you have to try. They had a toll free number I could call here in Australia.
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:09 am    Post subject: Re: Paypal woes Reply with quote

Karly wrote:
I had an issue with my pay pal quite a few years ago - I actually phoned them - the experience was remarkably pleasant took about 10 minutes and sorted my account out - may be something you have to try. They had a toll free number I could call here in Australia.

I think they want me to change my account to a New Zealand Paypal account. They just didn't bother to tell me so. They just made my old account inoperable.

These tech giants can slow down our phones and make our computers really slow until we upgrade our operating systems. Tesla can stop their cars - any Tesla car - any time.

We are but small fry to them, to eat with their toast and tea.
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:10 am    Post subject: Re: Paypal woes Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:
Karly wrote:

I think they want me to change my account to a New Zealand Paypal account. They just didn't bother to tell me so. They just made my old account inoperable.

These tech giants can slow down our phones and make our computers really slow until we upgrade our operating systems. Tesla can stop their cars - any Tesla car - any time.

We are but small fry to them, to eat with their toast and tea.

I had dealings with them yesterday evening. I attempted to downgrade my PayPal account from "Business" to "Personal". Their help page provided distinct steps to make the seemingly simple change but the stated links didn't exist. Luckily the UK side of the operation has their own call centre with real English speakers. Wink Quickly sorted.

TBF contacting PayPal here in the UK has markedly improved over the years...before they hid their phone number and contact by email was the only way to resolved difficulties...it seldom did.

My sympathies to you Chris...there's nothing more frustrating than talking to a call-centre that only dishes out solutions to FAQs. Sad
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Paypal woes Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:

Can I ask you guys in the USA this: Does Paypal force you to use their address labels when you buy or sell through them? If not, how difficult is it to accept the payment and to address the parcel yourself and to deliver it to USPS?

I've been using paypal for over 10 years, first as a personal account and then as a business account as my little side hobby grew into my main source of income.

I've never even heard of paypal having address labels. I accept payment from my customers and do whatever I want with the money (spend it or transfer it to my bank account). How I ship the item has never entered into the equation with my interactions with paypal. I ship using whichever carrier the customer asks me to use, with my own address labels.

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Paypal woes Reply with quote

Era Vulgaris wrote:
kiwighia68 wrote:

I've been using paypal for over 10 years, first as a personal account and then as a business account as my little side hobby grew into my main source of income.

I've never even heard of paypal having address labels. I accept payment from my customers and do whatever I want with the money (spend it or transfer it to my bank account). How I ship the item has never entered into the equation with my interactions with paypal. I ship using whichever carrier the customer asks me to use, with my own address labels.

Thanks for this. That is exactly in accordance with my past experience.

I've now tried two US sellers of the speedo I need, and both declined my offer to buy. The one refunded my money twice, and the other said he wouldn't do business by direct bank transfer of the funds.

I'm going to close this thread, if you don't mind, with these comments:

1. Paypal renders a very useful service. We all know that.

2. It can make it a lot easier for its users if there were some human interface to deal with users' problems.

3. Communicating with a user is as easy as writing an email - in my case, saying go the the New Zealand Paypal website and re-register please. (I found it myself after a week of being sent from pillar to post by Paypal on my then-existing account after Paypal had sabotaged my use of that account. Without a word.)

I'm still mulling over the question whether I should return to the advertisers who wouldn't ship to the address I gave them and refunded my payments.

Thanks to everyone who responded.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: