Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What Shocks did you put on the Front of your Westy?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

What Shocks are on Front of your 2WD Westy?
Bilstein HD
31%
 31%  [ 16 ]
Bilstein XHD
19%
 19%  [ 10 ]
Koni
17%
 17%  [ 9 ]
Fox
5%
 5%  [ 3 ]
Original Boges
7%
 7%  [ 4 ]
Other
17%
 17%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 51

Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:52 pm    Post subject: What Shocks did you put on the Front of your Westy? Reply with quote

which did ya use? - limited to 2wd Westy's only - THx
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What Shocks did you put on the Front of your Westy? Reply with quote

This may be, well, shocking... but my 84 Westy stills wears its original front shocks. Honestly, they seem fine - even on rough roads or in strong crosswinds.
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What Shocks did you put on the Front of your Westy? Reply with quote

KYBs! Haven't tried them yet though. Van is still on jacks. Eager to test them.
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: What Shocks did you put on the Front of your Westy? Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
This may be, well, shocking... but my 84 Westy stills wears its original front shocks. Honestly, they seem fine - even on rough roads or in strong crosswinds.

My '85 has the original shocks front and rear as far as I know and it nose dives while braking, feels loose on turns and clunky over bumps. Can't wait to replace them. I think I'll be going with OEM style.
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: What Shocks did you put on the Front of your Westy? Reply with quote

why the FRONT only and not the full set Front and Rear? Very Happy
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: What Shocks did you put on the Front of your Westy? Reply with quote

Yeah why only front? I have been looking into new shocks. Basically Fox is most expensive -> but for offroading. Warranty, but needs to be sent off to be repaired.

Blisten HD I think is better for on road? I don't know what do you guys have and what do you recommend for front/all shocks?

Edit: You should change poll to "what do you recommend"... just imo.
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: What Shocks did you put on the Front of your Westy? Reply with quote

If you like soft shocks and a boat-like ride, get the revalved Bilsteins.
tikiman71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: What Shocks did you put on the Front of your Westy? Reply with quote

I replaced my Bilstein HD's with Koni reds on the next to stiffest setting and it made a world of difference. Way less boaty and floaty, and much more tuned and sporty feeling. Firm, but not unpleasant in any way. Feel is subjective, but I prefer the ride to be on the firmer side of things, and the ability to adjust is key, even if it is a bit of a pain to do. I drive mostly on highway and around town, with occasional dirt roads.

These are with 2wd Schwenk (syncro.org) springs by the way, which I also had with the Bilsteins.

Cheers,

Adam
jayinduluth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: What Shocks did you put on the Front of your Westy? Reply with quote

The PO of my van installed these on the front only 16 years ago -

https://www.amazon.com/nobrandname-345006-Gas-Shock/dp/B00N28S7AW

My 85 van is the only van I've ever driven, so I don't know how to compare mine to others.
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: What Shocks did you put on the Front of your Westy? Reply with quote

Bilstein B4. They good. Tryed KYB but it was softer than the original 25+ year old BOGE ones
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: What Shocks did you put on the Front of your Westy? Reply with quote

Merian,

Can't imagine I would be the first to say this to you, but to others with same questions, perhaps this is the first time you will have heard it:

Shocks work in a kitty-corner manner. A bump that the front left takes will transfer to the rear right, and vice versa. Therefore, it is quite important that the shocks perform their duty in a balance way in an X map rather than an = one.

Hope things are well.

Good skill beats good luck hands down
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: What Shocks did you put on the Front of your Westy? Reply with quote

I am interested mainly in the fronts - obviously rear shocks have something to do with vehicle dynamics too.

However, in a Vanagon, you are basically sitting on top of a pogo stick. Twisted Evil

Feel free to select the choice based on all 4
BIRD84WESTY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: What Shocks did you put on the Front of your Westy? Reply with quote

Last summer I replaced 10 yr old KYBs with the NAPA Gas Grande shocks along with GOWesty's front bushing kit on my 84 Westy, with Carat springs. Man, what a difference, way better.
Yellow Rabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: What Shocks did you put on the Front of your Westy? Reply with quote

It’s an easy job. Spend the extra 10 minutes and do all 4.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: What Shocks did you put on the Front of your Westy? Reply with quote

I had KYBs on my van...

K ill
Y our
B ack
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What Shocks did you put on the Front of your Westy? Reply with quote

Oops! Didn't see the "2wd only" statement. Ixnay the one Fox vote. Smile
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: What Shocks did you put on the Front of your Westy? Reply with quote

I have Fox shocks on a 2WD automatic Westy. They were an upgrade after four years with Bilstein HDs. I think the Fox shocks are firmer and more responsive.

kourt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CptRon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: What Shocks did you put on the Front of your Westy? Reply with quote

I have Bilsteins on my high top and love them.
Noticeable difference on highway on and off ramps.
CptRon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: What Shocks did you put on the Front of your Westy? Reply with quote

http://www.gowesty.com/tech-article-details.php?id=177

I also recommend doing all four corners.
Doesn't seem right to have a difference in rates on front and rear
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What Shocks did you put on the Front of your Westy? Reply with quote

Sachs. New springs helped a great deal.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: