Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

coach battery
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brian Shea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:37 pm    Post subject: coach battery Reply with quote

Hi
I'm a new 99" Euro van full camper owner. I need to replace my coach battery It did not have one when I bought the van. My question is is it hook up just like a regular battery, red to pos. black to neg?
Thanks for your help
IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: coach battery Reply with quote

Ours are 2001-2003 Weekenders, so not exactly the same, but the coach battery in those hooks up just like the main battery. I would think your EVC's would as well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tds3pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: coach battery Reply with quote

Not knowing what any previous owner has done, I would just test both connection lugs before connecting to a battery.

The negative connection should have continuity with ground (the body) always. The positive lug should be hot with 12 volts when the ignition is turned on, since the battery isolator connects your starting battery and house battery together with the ignition on.
'79 Westy...Oscar
'95 Eurovan Camper/5 spd...Marsha Mellow
DenverB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: coach battery Reply with quote

NO.

BLACK IS NOT NEGATIVE ON THE COACH BATTERY.

ground is green in the early eurovans.
'84 Vanagon Westfalia (Pink Flamingo - Pastel White/Pink)
'88 Vanagon GL Westfalia (Frankie Says - Wolfram Gray)
'02 Eurovan Weekender (Green Apple)
'95-'03 Eurovan full campers and weekenders (rental fleet)
'84 -'91 Vanagon full campers and weekenders (rental fleet)
'72 Porsche 914 (Greta - RIP)

www.RockyMountainCampervans.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: coach battery Reply with quote

This is not a beginning level project.

If you miswire a lamp ypu blow a fuse.

If you miswire a battery you burn up your EVC.
DenverB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: coach battery Reply with quote

further: electrical wire = black is positive, green is ground in the early Eurovan campers (they switched to yellow and white in later years)

when you put in that new battery clearly LABEL the green wire with "GROUND" and save yourself any future headaches.

you can get a group 31 size deep cycle battery for that space. I think stock was a 29 or maybe even a 27,
'84 Vanagon Westfalia (Pink Flamingo - Pastel White/Pink)
'88 Vanagon GL Westfalia (Frankie Says - Wolfram Gray)
'02 Eurovan Weekender (Green Apple)
'95-'03 Eurovan full campers and weekenders (rental fleet)
'84 -'91 Vanagon full campers and weekenders (rental fleet)
'72 Porsche 914 (Greta - RIP)

www.RockyMountainCampervans.com
Brian Shea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: coach battery Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the information. Good to know there is support for us newbies
Brian
ruairidh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: coach battery Reply with quote

DenverB wrote:
further: electrical wire = black is positive, green is ground in the early Eurovan campers (they switched to yellow and white in later years)

when you put in that new battery clearly LABEL the green wire with "GROUND" and save yourself any future headaches.

you can get a group 31 size deep cycle battery for that space. I think stock was a 29 or maybe even a 27,

Pulling up a three year old thread to say thank you. I too just bought a 99 EVC and need to swap out the coach battery since it is not holding a charge. Except I have a solar panel hooked up to mine. I'm currently looking for some reverse engineering instructions...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: