Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Beetlebaum: The 1973 Super pulled from a Junkyard
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Reader's Rides Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beetlebaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetlebaum: The 1973 Super pulled from a Junkyard Reply with quote

EA812 wrote:
Wow things are happening! Good work man. The neck beard though, that's too far😀

It's gone today! Very Happy So glad that it's no longer November and that I'm free from that challenge. Laughing

Buggeee wrote:
The inside of the tunnel looks remarkably clean and dry. This bone-yard bug has really good bones! Smile

Surprisingly, yes! Few things on this car were properly solid, but the rear portion of the tunnel is fantastic.

------------------------------------------------------------

Today marks one year at my job, so, to celebrate, I...took the day off to work on the cars. Very Happy (Okay, I'm technically just taking my weekend a day early, but whatever.)

I changed the oil in the New Beetle today, which makes it the third oil change in the time that I've owned the car; I've put 20,000 miles on it. Shocked

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I also took the time to prepare the New Beetle for a parade down at the beach tomorrow, so I washed the car and bought some cheap decorations. I'll post pictures tomorrow after the parade.

Anyway, I moved Beetlebaum out of the driveway and left him out in the cul-de-sac for several hours on his own for the first time since 2012, so I felt really good about that. Here are some random pictures of him from today.

So, I didn't do much toward achieving my goal of passing inspection by December 18th, but I did do some necessary maintenance to the newer car, so that was good. Beetlebaum's repaired shifter bushings worked well today and made a world of a difference moving the car around, and the front suspension looks like it has settled just a bit, which is good.

What's left to do: adjust the brakes, tighten the front wheel bearings a bit, tighten the clutch cable, clean out the interior of the car, finish painting and undercoating the pans (after not having dealt with that properly way back in 2010 when I was a dumb teenager in high school Shocked ), and figure out the troublesome engine. I feel pretty good.
Beetle Bums VW Club Member
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetlebaum: The 1973 Super pulled from a Junkyard Reply with quote

I love seeing cars like this. Fighters and survivors.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Beetlebaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetlebaum: The 1973 Super pulled from a Junkyard Reply with quote

kawfee wrote:
I love seeing cars like this. Fighters and survivors.

Thanks. I like to think that the car appreciates me trying to breathe new life into it.

----------------------------------------------

Today I drove the New Beetle in the holiday parade down at the Virginia Beach oceanfront. I'm uploading a video timelapse of the parade and will put that up once it processes.

Surprisingly, the New Beetle received a lot of attention--more so than some of the classic Volkswagens in the parade around me.

Link

Beetlebaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetlebaum: The 1973 Super pulled from a Junkyard Reply with quote

Updates on Beetlebaum:

I learned of a '73 Super Beetle at a local junkyard (hey, sound familiar?), so tomorrow I hope to pay it a visit and strip it of a lot of parts.

I've also officially started diving into the engine on my car once again. I didn't take a picture of them, but the spark plugs were wildly fouled and grimed up from the car being so out of adjustment for so long. The good news is that I put my old vacuum-advance distributor back in place and seem to be getting spark running properly through it (though the car doesn't currently want to start, but that seems to be par for the course and more of an issue of timing). I'm off of work tomorrow Dancing and will dive into replacing the spark plugs, checking the valve adjustment, and seeing what I can do to get the car running again.

Though I know that I still need to learn a ton more about fixing the engine--and though I know that it's ridiculous that I still haven't gotten it going yet after such a long time--I'm actually excited about this new round of figuring it out. I've been researching about the Bug's issues on TheSamba and finally have a methodological way of going through it, so hopefully I can get Beetlebaum sorted out shortly. Stay tuned...and wish me luck! Cool
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:00 am    Post subject: Re: Beetlebaum: The 1973 Super pulled from a Junkyard Reply with quote

Good luck!

Getting the engine running smoothly is the most satisfying of all the tasks. It will be purring like a kitten and you'll have a huge smile. Enjoy the process. Smile

Btw, when you're done if you stand back there staring at it and fiddling with the throttle for extended periods indulging in the sound of that purring motor your housemates will complain that you smell of exhaust and gasoline and you'll have to shower and change. (Ask me how I know Very Happy)
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
Beetlebaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetlebaum: The 1973 Super pulled from a Junkyard Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:
Good luck!

Getting the engine running smoothly is the most satisfying of all the tasks. It will be purring like a kitten and you'll have a huge smile. Enjoy the process. Smile

Btw, when you're done if you stand back there staring at it and fiddling with the throttle for extended periods indulging in the sound of that purring motor your housemates will complain that you smell of exhaust and gasoline and you'll have to shower and change. (Ask me how I know Very Happy)

Oh yes, I remember going to high school on cold days when I'd have to scrape the rear window and stand near the exhaust pipes as the car warmed up...I'd smell strongly of Volkswagen exhaust all day. Very Happy That was always fun, even though no one else shared my enthusiasm.

-----------------------------------------------------

Well, I stayed up about two hours later than I intended to stay up last night, because I was researching the ignition system and figuring out what the car's various symptoms indicated. Happily, I've deduced that my condenser is shot, which would explain several things, including why the car doesn't want to start right now.

I went to Napa and bought some new plugs, went to a local VW parts shop and bought a new condenser and points, and now fully understand how the whole ignition system works (for the first time ever). Dancing Anyway, the weather has been awful today and will be bad for at least the next day or two, so I can't install any of the new parts until then.

Also, I read on TheSamba last night that the plugs are supposed to be a slightly different number, but that these can be run. Napa only had these. On a related note, I saw that the Bentley manual says to gap the plugs to .024"; should I run with that or gap them to a different size? I've seen conflicting advice on the forums.

I want to buy new spark plug wires, a new rotor, and a new distributor cap, because all of mine are old. My rotor and cap are also somewhat scratched on their contacts. Napa, however, didn't have those either.

Once the weather clears up, you'd better believe that I'll be out there, trying to dial in this engine! Very Happy
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetlebaum: The 1973 Super pulled from a Junkyard Reply with quote

The NGK B6HS plugs are the same that I run in my Bug, normal spec would be a B5HS which is a hotter plug and one you may consider going to if you tend to do mainly short duration trips or lower speeds, but the colder ones should work. Gap tolerance is .024 to .028, the narrower gap will generally perform better during colder weather and allow a longer period between regapping the plugs. If you do replace the cap and rotor, it'd be wise to hang onto the old parts as a backup in case the need arises.
Beetlebaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetlebaum: The 1973 Super pulled from a Junkyard Reply with quote

After a few weeks of a frustrating work schedule and dealing with a few seasonal illnesses, I finally got a chance to spend a full afternoon working on Beetlebaum.

I decided to see whether I could put in his old distributor and just cap off the retard port on the canister, and it seems that it worked. That portion of the system had a vacuum leak, whereas the vacuum advance still functions properly.

I set the points, timing, valves, and carburetor, and then Beetlebaum fired right up. He ran poorly at first, but I think that that's a combination of a few factors, such as the ancient gas in his tank at the moment. He's doing better after having taken a trip around the block.

I even got stuck waiting for a school bus (all the parents were admiring my car, which made me feel really great), and the engine idled well. Then I took the car on my longer test route for the first time since January 2012. He did relatively well and ran very coolly; it's amazing how nicely he did, all things considered. I put two miles or so on him today, which is the furthest he's gone under his own power since early 2012. Very Happy

He accelerates sluggishly right now, so I'm going to take some time tomorrow to set the dwell (which I forgot to do in my excitement about figuring out this stuff), re-set the timing, and figure out whether the carb is working properly and has a proper amount of fuel running through it; then I may take Beetlebaum on a test run to the gas station under his own power for the first time in six years.

So, I know that there's still a fair bit of stuff to be done, but today was a major step forward. Also, the heat risers are clogged, so that's on the list of things to do before trying to drive the car too much.

Anyway, stay tuned for what will hopefully be other good updates soon!
Beetlebaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetlebaum: The 1973 Super pulled from a Junkyard Reply with quote

Well, I had felt really good about the car yesterday, but today he didn't want to cooperate very much. He was stumbling on acceleration, and it seems that the DVDA doesn't like the H30/31 carb, which lines up with what I've been reading on these forums over the past few days. I revved up the car both with the distributor's vacuum advance hooked up and without it hooked up, and there was no difference in how the engine revved up. Brick wall At least the car still runs cooler than it has since I rebuilt the engine in 2012. I still have to deal with the clogged heat risers though, and I'm not excited about that job.

On a happier note, every other aspect of the car is ready for inspection. The brakes, front end, transmission, lights, and so on are set, operable, and properly adjusted for the first time ever. (Seriously, this car is vastly safer than it has ever been under my ownership, and that makes me feel pretty good.) I also made sure that the defrosters are properly hooked up, as they're needed to pass Virginia's state inspection.

Finally, I vacuumed the interior, torqued the wheel bolts, and greased all the hinges, door checks, and lock cylinders, though I couldn't figure out how to remove the tiny plastic plugs on the doors to shoot some lubricating oil in to the actual locking mechanism. The doors swing open smoothly and silently now. Very Happy
EA812
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Beetlebaum: The 1973 Super pulled from a Junkyard Reply with quote

Yeah it's never going to run right until you clear them heat risers no matter how much you adjust things. I think I'm dealing with a similar issue my self.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Beetlebaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetlebaum: The 1973 Super pulled from a Junkyard Reply with quote

Though I got bogged down considerably by the holidays, I did finally get a chance to get back to Beetlebaum today. Very Happy

Around Christmastime, I bought a new carburetor, but it won't idle, so I'm going to tear into it and see what's going on with it. The frustration with that carb made me stop working on the car for a few weeks. Today, I put the old H30/31 carb on the car, though I re-jetted it. The car seems to like the new setup, so I'll run with it for now; I still definitely want to get the proper setup running, but this'll have to do for now.

Anyway, I took Beetlebaum on a relatively long test-drive down to my old high school--a trip which he hasn't made in more than six years. I discovered that he's running on three cylinders, so I think that I may have messed up something ignition-related when I was checking the compression this afternoon (and the compression test went well). I'll tackle that tomorrow...though it's supposed to be insanely cold! Oh well.

Anyway, because I'm vain, I have to share another picture of me driving the Bug. I cautiously optimistic that I'm close to having the car back on the road.

EA812
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Beetlebaum: The 1973 Super pulled from a Junkyard Reply with quote

Cool photo! Head to toe into it😁. Was that new carb an Empi? If it is there is some info on here on how to get em to work but I'd prefer used old German versus China junk any day.

Of course if it's running on three cylinders that my be the issue and not the carb. Good luck and keep at it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Beetlebaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetlebaum: The 1973 Super pulled from a Junkyard Reply with quote

EA812 wrote:
Cool photo! Head to toe into it😁. Was that new carb an Empi? If it is there is some info on here on how to get em to work but I'd prefer used old German versus China junk any day.

Of course if it's running on three cylinders that my be the issue and not the carb. Good luck and keep at it.

Yep, it's an EMPI--for now, I put the old H30/31 back on it, and it runs, but the float seems not to be working properly. Rolling Eyes

----------------------------------------------------------

Well, I haven't done too much to the car over the past few days, with the snow and playing catch-up after having pretty much a week away from work because the city of Virginia Beach doesn't know how to clear away snow properly.

I checked the oil a few days ago and discovered a lot of gas in the oil, so I think that the H30/31 carb float is no longer floating and cutting off the fuel as it ought. I'm now trying to figure out where I should buy a new float for the carb--does anyone have any suggestions? I've been having trouble figuring out what float would work in that carb.

Anyway, even though the car is running really poorly at the moment because of a few combined issues which I think that I'm on track to eliminate soon, I got to do something which I've wanted to do ever since I bought the car more than nine years ago: snow donuts. The only problem was that I didn't have enough space to get the car to slide around properly (except when I whipped the car around one time while reversing and got the front end to go Very Happy ), but I still had a really fun time.

Anyway, my current plans: replace the carburetor float, replace the intermittent oil pressure sender, and change the oil. After that, I'll figure out what to do next regarding the ignition system.

I'm making progress and feeling better about my knowledge, even if my progress is painfully slow. Two steps forward, one step back.
EA812
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetlebaum: The 1973 Super pulled from a Junkyard Reply with quote

Would the float from the EMPI work? Also drain that oil now it's no good asap.
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetlebaum: The 1973 Super pulled from a Junkyard Reply with quote

EMPI carb: doorstop. Or better yet, anchor for a bait trap. Spend some time hunting down a good German carb, or buy one from Tim at Volksbitz. Great dude that won't leave you with junk that doesn't work.
Nice save.
Beetlebaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetlebaum: The 1973 Super pulled from a Junkyard Reply with quote

EA812 wrote:
Would the float from the EMPI work? Also drain that oil now it's no good asap.

Not sure whether it would, so I'm trying to research that before placing an order for a rebuild kit. I'm not running the engine again until I replace that oil.

esde wrote:
EMPI carb: doorstop. Or better yet, anchor for a bait trap. Spend some time hunting down a good German carb, or buy one from Tim at Volksbitz. Great dude that won't leave you with junk that doesn't work.
Nice save.

Thanks--the car is a total pain, but it's fun to make progress! Right now I'm just trying to get the car running properly on the H30/31, and then I'll refocus on sorting out the darn carb.

--------------------------------------------------

No real update for today, except that some new parts arrived! For the first time ever, Beetlebaum's going to have a thermostat. Woo!

I also got the Hoover bit, rod, thermostat bracket, and mounting hardware. Shout-out to Clark at Awesome Powdercoating for the beautiful new parts and excellent communication. I highly recommend buying from him.
EA812
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetlebaum: The 1973 Super pulled from a Junkyard Reply with quote

What's that bottom left piece in the photo? And the gas in your oil is eating away at your engine bearings right now.
Dake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetlebaum: The 1973 Super pulled from a Junkyard Reply with quote

Looks like the Hoover bit
Beetlebaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetlebaum: The 1973 Super pulled from a Junkyard Reply with quote

Yep, it's the Hoover bit. It helps direct air through the oil cooler; without the Hoover bit, the air from the fan can blow out the bottom of the fan shroud without actually cooling the oil properly. I think that the Hoover bit was only around $20.

And it sounds like I know what I'm doing tomorrow morning...changing the oil in this darn car!
EA812
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: Beetlebaum: The 1973 Super pulled from a Junkyard Reply with quote

Beetlebaum wrote:
Yep, it's the Hoover bit. It helps direct air through the oil cooler; without the Hoover bit, the air from the fan can blow out the bottom of the fan shroud without actually cooling the oil properly. I think that the Hoover bit was only around $20.

And it sounds like I know what I'm doing tomorrow morning...changing the oil in this darn car!

Very cool! I never heard of the Hoover bit, learn something new every day 😃 also, that T Stat looks brand new.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Reader's Rides All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Page 29 of 33

Jump to: