Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cam Bearing Measurements - Anybody have these?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
69BahamaYellow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:31 am    Post subject: Cam Bearing Measurements - Anybody have these? Reply with quote

I need to find a camshaft thrust bearing that measures 1.102" or wider for a 2.0L type 4 motor. None of the sites that sell bearings (KS, Mahle, Glyco, Silverline, etc.) post the measurements, so If anyone has purchased a set recently and knows the dimensions, please advise.

Here's my old one. The only markings on it are NB18182 - EC158 - m 10 01 - STD. can't find a brand marking or anything else....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Cam Bearing Measurements - Anybody have these? Reply with quote

Those are Brazilian Metaleve

https://searchpart.online/metal-leve-ec158sf/

I cannot remember if type 1 cam bearings cam be fit to a type 4 case. They are different part numbers and should have different thrust. Is it possible that you have the wrong cam bearings?

https://findpart.online/manufacturers/metal-leve/camshaft-bushes/?page=2

If you scroll down this list...you can see that they make the 158 in several over sizes 0.25mm and 0.50mm.....but I do not know the codes (probably should)...and so I do not know if they are looking at over or undersized for ID, OD or thrust.
Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Cam Bearing Measurements - Anybody have these? Reply with quote

I know that the Kolbenschmidt are thicker than the Mahle bearings. I tried both setting my cam endplay and found that the KS ones were perfect thrust while the Mahle acted as almost worn out. Also I recall Jake ran into some issues a few years back where the cam bearing was spread out a little and collapsed with a smack from a mallet or with a few miles.
69BahamaYellow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Cam Bearing Measurements - Anybody have these? Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
Those are Brazilian Metaleve

https://searchpart.online/metal-leve-ec158sf/

I cannot remember if type 1 cam bearings cam be fit to a type 4 case. They are different part numbers and should have different thrust. Is it possible that you have the wrong cam bearings?

https://findpart.online/manufacturers/metal-leve/camshaft-bushes/?page=2

If you scroll down this list...you can see that they make the 158 in several over sizes 0.25mm and 0.50mm.....but I do not know the codes (probably should)...and so I do not know if they are looking at over or undersized for ID, OD or thrust.
Ray

Thanks Ray. I'll check that site out to see if any dimensions are available.
69BahamaYellow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Cam Bearing Measurements - Anybody have these? Reply with quote

Just got a set of Kolbenschmidt standard bearings. Thrust measures 1.101"

Think I'm going to order another set to see if there's any difference. If not, I think I'll use the second thrust bearing to make it a double thrust. Looks like to do that, I'd need to punch the corner of one to make a tang to lock it in the bearing saddle. Has anybody done this before?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Cam Bearing Measurements - Anybody have these? Reply with quote

while the logic seems sound, the potential contact area will double and area for oil to adhere to the cam thrust area will fall. If there are any contaminates in the oil the area that will pick them up will double making the cutting surface twice as aggressive on each side - grinding away on the steel faster - making the thrust widen quicker. Here is what I mean - think if you dropped a chilled stick of butter into glass shards and ran your hand across it - that is what the bearing will do - the softer metal will pick up the containments and eat away at the steel. Put a soft honing stone in a honing bar and it eats the steel faster than the softer stone. In addition there will be slightly less friction heat shed into the oil splashed on the cam thrust.

Does that mean a double thrust is a bad idea? Maybe not but I can see where it could be a double edged sword. Most VW T4 engines even in high mileage don't have cam thrust issues and VW used a single thrust bearing - so I went with a single thrust. Some people will flame me but the science of wear isn't always what it seems to be. A good friend of mine had a high end aerospace grinding firm for a living and I was surprised how some things that seem logical aren't when one is around things they wear other things. Same in the machine shop that I worked in.

The question is not whether a double thrust is better or worse - the question is will a double thrust make wear better or worse? The thrust bearings themselves will probably wear less unless less oil gets to them, but the steel will wear faster. Measure the thrust area on a used cam. The steel definitely wears. I don't know if accelerated wear on the steel is a good thing or not.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: