Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Effects of altitude on vacuum control and timing
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:17 pm    Post subject: Effects of altitude on vacuum control and timing Reply with quote

Recently someone at the German Bay forum pointed out a potential issue with an electronic, programmable ignition system (*). The issue being, that it senses the vacuum with a Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) sensor, as opposed to the stock distributors, which measure the vacuum relative to atmospheric pressure.

That got me thinking about how the stock vacuum can works, and the effects of altitude on its operation. Before delving into it, let me double-check if I got the facts straight:

Stock distributor, relative pressure

If I understand it correctly, the way original vacuum cans operate is by being controlled by a measurement relative to atmospheric pressure. On the diaphragm:

• The distributor side side is exposed to atmospheric pressure
• The engine side is exposed to manifold pressure by means of ported vacuum. With closed or wide open throttle, pressure on this side equals atmospheric pressure; at part throttle pressure on this side is lower than atmospheric pressure (i.e. vacuum)

So if the amount of pull the diaphragm gets is relative to atmospheric pressure, should this make its operation independent of altitude? That is, given the following example (vacuum can with 10° of max advance at 7.9 inHg):

• Pressure at sea level: 29.9 inHg absolute
• Max advance: 10° @ 7.9 inHg relative vacuum or 29.9 - 7.9 = 22 inHg absolute pressure

• Pressure at 8265 ft: 22 inHg absolute (**)
• Max advance: 10° @ 7.9 inHg relative vacuum or 22 - 7.9 = 16.1 inHg absolute pressure

This doesn't sound quite right, though. With increasing altitude and decreasing pressure (push) on the distributor side, the pressure on the engine side should decrease more to achieve the same travel (pull) of the vacuum can's arm to keep the advance constant on the breaker plate.

In other words, I somehow don't quite follow my own logic for altitude independence, so I'm thinking there might be a flaw in the thinking here...

Aftermarket distributor, absolute pressure

On the aftermarket distributor, there is only one MAP sensor that measures pressure at the same ported vacuum port –in kPa, but let's use inHg to keep the same units throughout. The max advance is programmed with the same values as before, but assuming sea level and an absolute pressure: 10° at 22 inHg.

• Pressure at sea level: 29.9 inHg absolute
• Max advance: 10° @ 22 inHg absolute pressure

• Pressure at 8265 ft: 22 inHg absolute (**)
• Max advance: 10° @ 22 inHg absolute pressure
• Issue: at wide open throttle, pressure will equal atmospheric pressure, which in turn will equal the setpoint for max advance. There will be no part throttle regulation and vacuum advance will be stuck at max (10°) across the whole load range.

Does this make sense?

(*) It's the 123tune distributor. The system looks great, but they're IMHO sorely lacking in the marketing department... of their own product. TLDR; quality-built original-looking distributor, electronic ignition, programmable centrifugal and vacuum curves, quite pricey.
(**) Calculated using the barometric formula. Can be done with an online form, e.g. https://www.mide.com/pages/air-pressure-at-altitude-calculator

Decode your M-Plate
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Effects of altitude on vacuum control and timing Reply with quote

This is part of the reason it is common to advance your timing as you go up in elevation. Above 7000ft or so a SVDA dizzy doesn't offer much advantage over an 009 because you have little or no vacuum advance when cruising at highway speeds on level ground.

The rule of thumb is one degree of advance for every thousand feet above 4000', but if you are starting with your timing delayed to 28° BTDC at 3500rpms then you could start adding extra advance earlier, say at 2000'. This is very subjective, but the factory spec is basically 30+/-2° so you shouldn't be doing much of any harm by beginning to add advance early on if you are starting at 28°.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Effects of altitude on vacuum control and timing Reply with quote

As you climb in altitude three things happen that affect the internal combustion engine

(1) the amount of oxygen available drops
(2) the compression in the cylinder falls so less power is produced by compression heating
(3) the molecules are farther apart so it takes longer for the flame front to travel.

All these require advancing the timing.

Furgo these are good questions but you are in the wrong forum. You need to find an engineering forum. When it comes to engines you can put one on a dyno and set the timing at a given number known to work well for that engine. You can advance the timing one or two degrees and the needle will barely move. You can go one or two degrees the other way and the needle will barely move. Your HP will go from 131 to 131.000001 and you won't even be sure is isn't because someone farted in the room or had onions for lunch. Advance it 3 or 4 degrees and the engine will blow up. Retard it 3 or 4 degrees and the engine will slow down. Once you get close to the sweet spot the engine is really happy being around there. Playing with mind games is fun but from a practicality standpoint you won't see any improvement in your VW engine - it will still go slow up hills, and it is still a 40 year old car.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Effects of altitude on vacuum control and timing Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Playing with mind games is fun but from a practicality standpoint you won't see any improvement in your VW engine - it will still go slow up hills, and it is still a 40 year old car.

Running a full mechanical timing of 35° at 7000' verses 28° is going to make a quite noticeable difference in how your engine runs and isn't going to hurt a thing as the cylinders pressures and BTU's being release are going to be comparable to part throttle operation at sea level where you may well have been getting an "all in" advance of 40°. At 7000' the engine will also be running much richer than at sea level which will decrease the chance of the engine knocking.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Effects of altitude on vacuum control and timing Reply with quote

I run my real 009 at 30* full advance at 8000’.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:54 am    Post subject: Re: Effects of altitude on vacuum control and timing Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Wildthings wrote:
Above 7000ft or so [...] you have little or no vacuum advance when cruising at highway speeds on level ground.

That partly answers my question, then: from what you are saying, the stock vacuum control is not independent of elevation, and thus it remains uneffective (0° advance) from a given altitude point onwards. I also realize that getting the right advance at the right altitude will only be an approximation, where the +1° advance per 1000 ft from 4000 ft onwards can help.

Yet I still don't quite follow why the vacuum can operation will become less effective as elevation goes up, if the measurement is relative to (decreasing) atmospheric pressure.

SGKent wrote:
Furgo these are good questions but you are in the wrong forum. You need to find an engineering forum. [...] Playing with mind games is fun but from a practicality standpoint you won't see any improvement in your VW engine - it will still go slow up hills, and it is still a 40 year old car.

I appreciate the fact that you've taken the time to answer (I really do!), but I see this differently: I believe a question about the operation of the vacuum control at varying altitudes is still on topic for this forum.

I've always been amazed at the amount and the quality of collective knowledge on The Samba about these engines, and so far I've never had a question that went unanswered. Or at least where I walked out without gaining more knowledge on the subject.

Unless clearly stated otherwise, I would not describe the questions that I ask or topics I contribute to as playing with mind games, as there is always a practical purpose behind them.

In this particular case, I did drive at this altitude two summers ago, and I might do again next summer. Back then I had no idea of the effects of altitude on the advance (let alone what advance was! Smile ). Thanks to your help and that of many others I've learnt a lot since then: I would have never imagined I'd be doing oil changes, replacing fuel lines and tuning up engines myself!

So now that I know advance varies with altitude, I'd like to better understand how, so that next time the bus is up the mountains I can make an informed decision, even if it's a subjective one, as to what to set the advance to. To be quite honest, I'm less interested in extracting the last HP than in driving with the confidence that I'm not killing the engine.

It might well be that no one can answer it, or that there is no straight answer. Then at least I'll walk away with the knowledge that there is the +1° / 1000 ft rule and I'll apply that. But I'd rather ask than just assume no one knows because it's not a trivial question!

Decode your M-Plate
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:52 am    Post subject: Re: Effects of altitude on vacuum control and timing Reply with quote

I am going to make a few simplifications here to make the subject easier to explain. Lets say that you have an engine that puts out 50 HP at wide open throttle (WOT) at 60 mph at seal level, but only requires 30 HP to maintain 60 mph and thus when cruising at 60 mph at sea level sees an engine vacuum of 8 inch of mercury and has 10° of vacuum advance.

Now lets take that same engine up to 9000'. In order to cruise at 60 mph it still takes 30 HP, but for the engine to make 30 HP at this elevation the engine has to run at WOT and has zero manifold vacuum and zero vacuum advance as a result. It is quite possible that at 9000' that because your engine is now lacking 10° of vacuum advance it can not make 30 HP so instead of being able to maintain 60 mph in fourth gear you end up slowing to 40 mph and may even have to down shift just to maintain that speed. The solution is to give the engine more initial advance. If you bump your initial mechanical timing up to 30° at 2000' in elevation and then add 1° of additional advance for every thousand feet above that then at 9000' you will have about 9° of additional advance compared to running 28° of mechanical advance at sea level, pretty much fully offsetting the loss of the vacuum advance.

The negative is that you now have a static timing of somewhere around 16 1/2° verses the book 7 1/2°, which may could play heck with the starter when trying to get a hot engine to restart. With old fashion American steel that had a 10:1 compression ratio this extra advance may well have led to the engine not cranking, but with an ACVW with only 7.5:1 compression it is probably not a big deal. YMMV
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: Effects of altitude on vacuum control and timing Reply with quote

Thanks for the example, that's really helped me better understand the topic.

So to make sure I got it right:

On operation of the stock vacuum can at varying altitudes

• To keep the same cruising condition at sea level and at 9000 ft, at 9000 ft the throttle needs to open more to let more air volume in.
• This is due to air being thinner as altitude increases: as the oxygen/nitrogen per unit of volume decreases, more air volume (more throttle) is required to achieve the same AFR as at sea level.
• As altitude increases, a point is reached where WOT is required to keep the same cruising condition as sea level. That nullifies the operation of the vacuum can, as at WOT it will not see a vacuum and thus vacuum advance will be 0°. For this same cruising condition at sea level, only part throttle would be required, which would imply some degrees of vacuum advance.

So it might well be that the operation of the vacuum can itself is independent of altitude, but as the driver operates the throttle and effectively decreases vacuum at increasing altitudes, that ends up affecting the amount of vacuum it sees.

Again, in one sentence: less vacuum is measured at increasing altitudes.

On relative vs. absolute pressure measurement

To answer my other original question:

• Stock vacuum can (relative pressure): less vacuum (pressure differential) at more altitude means less vacuum advance and same centrifugal advance, which in turn means less total advance. The distributor itself cannot be modified, so to achieve the same advance as sea level, the only option is to compensate by adding more static advance.
• Aftermarket vacuum sensor (absolute pressure): less absolute pressure at more altitude means more vacuum advance and same centrifugal advance, which in turn means more total advance. The vacuum setpoint of the distributor can be modified, so to achieve the same advance as sea level, the setpoint needs to be changed to a lower absolute pressure value.

So if we compare the (for the want of a better word) failure mode of each device at say 9000 ft, the stock vacuum can fails in a safer mode (less advance), whereas the aftermarket distributor adds a constant additional advance, which is less safe, but as long it's not too much advance, it might end up being compensated by the altitude.

I think the discussion can be distilled into:

• In both cases, to achieve the best performance, a tuneup would be required before driving at 9000 ft. I.e. neither device is altitude independent.
• One needs to bear in mind how each device works to understand how to compensate it for altitude.
• With the stock distributor, one can choose to not do the altitude tuneup and live with less performance and a less advanced timing. With the aftermarket one, given the amount of advance added, it's probably advisable (i.e. safer) to do the tuneup.

Does this all now make sense?

Decode your M-Plate
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Effects of altitude on vacuum control and timing Reply with quote

Good information in this thread.

Its absolutely true that as the atmosphere becomes thinner the amount of air available to mix with fuel is reduced so HP qnd TQ are reduced.....and the maximum level of vacuum tjat can be produced in the manifold is reduced as well.

This is not a bad basic article that pretty much lays out what SGKent and others have noted.

https://www.motor.com/magazine-summary/mastering-the-basics-reading-a-vacuum-gauge/

However...it is not an absolute certainty that your vacuum advance unit and power brake units will be reduced in function. Both of these run from ported vacuum and yes......as the available manifold vacuum drops....what these sub systems see at their port is reduced.

However...for instance with vacuum advance....at sea level it may see 20 inches of vacuum at its port. This does not mean that it requires 20 inches to complete its full stroke of advance.
Vacuum advance unit diaphragms are about 3" in diameter.....for a reason. The diameter is a multiplication factor to allow proper, full operation at lower vacuum levels. They are not a 1:1 ratio of operation. This allows them to work to a degree at part throttle operation. The macimum stroke length control is not the vacuum supply level. Its the notches on the advance arm and the corresponding stop notches in the advance can body.

For example....reading this thread...I just tested four seperate low mileage, dual vacuum cans...two from a middle years 411, one from a late 412 and one from an unknown year type 4 bus.....with my hand pump.
All of them began vacuum stroke at between 2.5 and 3 inches of vacuum. They were all at hald stroke or better at 4.5 to 5 inches of vacuum. All four reached maximum vacuum stroke....meaning the arm notch was hard up against the body of the can....by between 7 and 9 inches or vacuum.

Yes...they were not attached to a distributor....but unless you have a really cruddy advance plate...it should not add more than 1 inches of vacuum requirement.

You should still have slightly more vacuum than this in a healthy engine in the 9000 ft range. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Effects of altitude on vacuum control and timing Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
I run my real 009 at 30* full advance at 8000’.
Same here at 6000’ the move from 28 to 30 is noticeable.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Effects of altitude on vacuum control and timing Reply with quote

furgo wrote:

Yet I still don't quite follow why the vacuum can operation will become less effective as elevation goes up, if the measurement is relative to (decreasing) atmospheric pressure.

The vacuum advance can uses a return spring. The spring is independent of atmospheric effects, therefore the reduced vacuum signal at high elevation also reduces the vacuum advance pull against the spring at partial throttle. In off-throttle/high rpm overrun situations, like going down a hill in an engine-braking gear, you will get all the maximum vacuum that you get at sea level.

It should be noted that there is no vacuum advance at full throttle for any of the combination distributors at any elevation. The vacuum-only distributors will provide some advance at high rpm regardless of load, but they do suffer at high elevations, helping us wheezy old 1600s slow down and enjoy the day about 5,000 feet.

On this hill, outside of Los Alamos at 7,300 feet on an ancient volcanic caldera slope, I could not get my stock 1600 vacuum-only engine to get the car moving:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Therefore, I had to manually advance the timing to 35* at idle. Blocked off the vacuum advance because I only wanted that extreme advance at idle. It was then able to get the car moving and I completed the hill climb in 1st gear at 2,700-3,000 rpm. At the top of the hill, I adjusted it back down to 0* and stuck the advance hose back on:
Colin

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by Amskeptic on Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:58 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Effects of altitude on vacuum control and timing Reply with quote

Amskeptic wrote:
furgo wrote:

The vacuum advance can uses a return spring. The spring is independent of atmospheric effects, therefore the reduced vacuum signal at high elevation also reduces the vacuum advance pull against the spring at partial throttle.

Aha! That's the bit that I was missing, thanks!

Amskeptic wrote:
In off-throttle/high rpm overrun situations, like going down a hill in an engine-braking gear, you will get all the maximum vacuum that you get at sea level.

Wait, but with off-throttle, even at the highest manifold vacuum, the vacuum can won't see any of that, as it senses ported vacuum, correct?

Decode your M-Plate
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Effects of altitude on vacuum control and timing Reply with quote

furgo wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:
In off-throttle/high rpm overrun situations, like going down a hill in an engine-braking gear, you will get all the maximum vacuum that you get at sea level.

Wait, but with off-throttle, even at the highest manifold vacuum, the vacuum can won't see any of that, as it senses ported vacuum, correct?

There is also a "venturi effect" above the throttle plate. At high rpm, closed throttle, there is still enough pressure drop to trigger the advance.
Colin
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Effects of altitude on vacuum control and timing Reply with quote

furgo wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:
furgo wrote:

The vacuum advance can uses a return spring. The spring is independent of atmospheric effects, therefore the reduced vacuum signal at high elevation also reduces the vacuum advance pull against the spring at partial throttle.

Aha! That's the bit that I was missing, thanks!

Amskeptic wrote:

Yes....but as I noted...and dont take it from me...test your own stuff. Regardless of drop in atmospheric pressure...the vast majority of vacuum advance units do not require much more than 3-5 inches of vacuum to give at least 50% of the off the line boost that is the whole function of vacuum advance...and no more than about 9-10 inches of vacuum to give full vacuum advance function off the line.

If you have an engine that is producing less than 5 inches of vacuum at high altitude....you have a whole bunch of problems and not just the altitude.

While Colin and others are correct about the HP loss effect at high altitude....and the drivability issues....its NOT because your vacuum advance is not working....its because even if the vacuum advance is working off the line...and it is....just check it with a timing light and you can see this....the engine itself is so far down in power because of the lack of atmosphere....that the vacuum advance is of little added benefit off the line.

To get any added help ...you do need to manually advance spark. This is not because the vacuum advance is not working. Its because the vacuum advance works for only a very narrow range of rpm and throttle position...and only gives a momentary 5-10 degrees of advance (if that much).

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Effects of altitude on vacuum control and timing Reply with quote

With my old engine which had a moderately upgraded cam with close to 0.5" of lift, but not an excessive duration or overlap, I would get maybe 10-12 inches of vacuum at 60 mph on the level at sea level. With my present engine which has a high mileage stock cam, I am lucky to get 5 inches of vacuum in the same conditions. Neither engine would give more than 2 inches of vacuum at 9000 feet when trying to do 60 mph on level ground and thus there was no vacuum advance, zero, nil, nada.

At sea level, when I am starting out on level ground even with my present worn stock cam, I do maintain sufficient manifold vacuum as I pull away from a stop on level ground to give full vacuum advance unless I really punch it, it is not until I shift into second that my manifold vacuum is guarantied to drop to the point where I loose vacuum advance.

I think it is important to note that there are three main reason for not having much vacuum advance at idle. None have to do with performance.

1. Delayed timing will help the engine crank
2. Delayed timing will give more decel when you let off on the throttle
3. Delayed timing will allow you to run a larger throttle opening and thus make for a smoother less polluting idle.

Note that the last two reason are why VW added the dual vacuum can to many distributors, giving even that much more retard when compared to a SVDA distributor.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Effects of altitude on vacuum control and timing Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
With my old engine which had a moderately upgraded cam with close to 0.5" of lift, but not an excessive duration or overlap, I would get maybe 10-12 inches of vacuum at 60 mph on the level at sea level. With my present engine which has a high mileage stock cam, I am lucky to get 5 inches of vacuum in the same conditions. Neither engine would give more than 2 inches of vacuum at 9000 feet when trying to do 60 mph on level ground and thus there was no vacuum advance, zero, nil, nada.

At sea level, when I am starting out on level ground even with my present worn stock cam, I do maintain sufficient manifold vacuum as I pull away from a stop on level ground to give full vacuum advance unless I really punch it, it is not until I shift into second that my manifold vacuum is guarantied to drop to the point where I loose vacuum advance.

I think it is important to note that there are three main reason for not having much vacuum advance at idle. None have to do with performance.

1. Delayed timing will help the engine crank
2. Delayed timing will give more decel when you let off on the throttle
3. Delayed timing will allow you to run a larger throttle opening and thus make for a smoother less polluting idle.

Note that the last two reason are why VW added the dual vacuum can to many distributors, giving even that much more retard when compared to a SVDA distributor.

And....why would you really need vacuum advance at 65 mph?

Though vacuum advance does give you a little extra combined advance at highway speeds.....its real usefulness is taking off the line and at shift points. Ray
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Effects of altitude on vacuum control and timing Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
And....why would you really need vacuum advance at 65 mph?
Gas mileage and power, high manifold vacuum exists because the amount of air entering the cylinder is minimized causing the molecules to be far apart and thus the burn on the slow side. If the burn doesn't complete in time then a significant portion of the heat of combustion is wasted. You want the flame front to have completed its travel by something like 9° ATDC. Also since the engine will tend to run on the lean side of stochiometric at the same time that manifold vacuum is running high, the vacuum advance will also tend to compromise for the slower "lean" burn.

In case you don't know, many large displacement "American steel" engines tend to run with significant vacuum advance most of the time.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Effects of altitude on vacuum control and timing Reply with quote

all over my head. I though a DVDA was about California smog rules to lower NOX and CO.

All I ever learned about this came from what affected lap times, kept engines from blowing up and let the cars I built out accelerate the competitors. I learned not to advance the timing too much on VW air cooled engines by melting a piston on my daily driver in the dead of winter when the denser colder air made the engine more prone to detonation. I also learned that while we did have to change timing and mixtures (that is what practice laps are for) depending on the elevation of the track etc., we were racing at, the difference of a couple degrees here or there on the dyno did not make significant differences unless the threshold for detonation was crossed, or the combustion heat was significantly wasted (Colins situation that he corrected). If you want to go faster at elevation either use a steam engine, or an electric/hybrid engine.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: