Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

OhHerrooo's Pearl White 1967 Squareback
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: OhHerrooo's Pearl White 1967 Squareback Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Well, to adjust the Bowden tube bend you have to release the wingnut on the cable anyway, so you'll be adjusting the pedal after the tube. Keep tension on that cable as you remove the wingnut and Bowden tube or you may have to remove the pedal cluster to re-hook it on the clutch pedal.

Has anyone figured out of there is enough room to reach an arm into the tunnel after removing the cover, should it come unhooked? I've never done it that way.

If the eye of the clutch cable at the pedal end comes off of the hook on the pedal assembly - it will 'go back' about an inch or two before it stops on the end of the tube.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OhHerrooo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: OhHerrooo's Pearl White 1967 Squareback Reply with quote

Gave the car a quick wash last night and started cleaning out the interior. Here's a few photos.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The car has for sure been repainted, but it is an older repaint and seems to be single stage. The paint is chipping in some spots and you can clearly see the OG paint below. I believe the black on the hatch is actually primer above the OG paint... Might try stripping some of the black off to see if there's clean pearl white underneath.

Removed the super ratty carpet and the degraded cardboard in the rear cargo area. I've got some surface rust back there, so a couple quick questions in treating it:

What grit of sandpaper should I hit it with? Or should I use a wire wheel?
Is there a rattle can close to pearl white I can find at my local hardware store?

This area will eventually be fully cleaned up and covered in acoustic/thermal deadener, so the paint doesn't need to be a dead on match.
'68 Squareback

OCT3 - Orange County Type 3's
www.evenkeelsurfshapes.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
czykvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:04 am    Post subject: Re: OhHerrooo's Pearl White 1967 Squareback Reply with quote

Congrats, nice find.
Whats the story behind the wisconsin plates?
Surprised a T3 would ever survive in that state.
G/L w/ the build

OhHerrooo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: OhHerrooo's Pearl White 1967 Squareback Reply with quote

czykvw wrote:
Congrats, nice find.
Whats the story behind the wisconsin plates?
Surprised a T3 would ever survive in that state.
G/L w/ the build

Thanks! Story goes that it was originally purchased by a man in Alameda, CA. His service notes (with dates) are all in the original owners manual that I've got. He eventually gave the car to his daughter, who was driving it cross country (around 2000) when it broke down in Wisconsin. She took it to a german auto repair shop and ended up selling the car to the mechanic. The car was then purchased locally, and the guy I bought it from ended up purchasing it from the local owner. So it wasn't in WI for too long, maybe a year. It does have some rust, so it's not super clean, but it is a solid foundation for sure.
'68 Squareback

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OhHerrooo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: OhHerrooo's Pearl White 1967 Squareback Reply with quote

Took my tail lights out to clean all the contacts last night and discovered a ton of dirt, sediment, and dead bugs at the bottom rear of my fenders. Is there an easy way to get all this out without taking off the entire fender?
'68 Squareback

MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: OhHerrooo's Pearl White 1967 Squareback Reply with quote

OhHerrooo wrote:
Took my tail lights out to clean all the contacts last night and discovered a ton of dirt, sediment, and dead bugs at the bottom rear of my fenders. Is there an easy way to get all this out without taking off the entire fender?

Would it be possible to remove the lower fender bolts, place something to act as a spacer, then drum up something attached to a rod/broomstick to break up and loosen the sediment and flush that out as much as you can then rinse the rest out with a blast from the water hose? There's not much room to work with unless that fender comes off. Sad
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: OhHerrooo's Pearl White 1967 Squareback Reply with quote

OhHerrooo wrote:

If there's a bunch of stuff down there - it likely means that you may need to replace the seal that goes around the wheel well - which means that you'll have to pull the fender.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OhHerrooo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: OhHerrooo's Pearl White 1967 Squareback Reply with quote

ataraxia wrote:
If there's a bunch of stuff down there - it likely means that you may need to replace the seal that goes around the wheel well - which means that you'll have to pull the fender.

Yeah there's a bunch of junk in there. Good call, I'll look into replacing the fender seal.

MonT3 wrote:
Would it be possible to remove the lower fender bolts, place something to act as a spacer, then drum up something attached to a rod/broomstick to break up and loosen the sediment and flush that out as much as you can then rinse the rest out with a blast from the water hose? There's not much room to work with unless that fender comes off. Sad

I think I'll try this tonight and see what happens.
'68 Squareback

Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: OhHerrooo's Pearl White 1967 Squareback Reply with quote

How rare is this, to see a pre-restoration Type 3 on which the front bumper does not droop down at the ends due to a slight tap?

Very Happy
OhHerrooo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: OhHerrooo's Pearl White 1967 Squareback Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
How rare is this, to see a pre-restoration Type 3 on which the front bumper does not droop down at the ends due to a slight tap?

Very Happy

Yeah the front bumper is super straight! The rear, unfortunately, has been tapped and is drooping Sad
'68 Squareback

OhHerrooo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: OhHerrooo's Pearl White 1967 Squareback Reply with quote

Well today I got the bug to see how good of shape the OG paint was beneath this respray. In a bunch of spots all over the car, the top coat has been flaking off (super easily) of the OG paint below, with the OG paint showing no signs of sanding or any primer in between coats.

I bought a pack of razor blades, a can of Goof Off Graffiti Remover, and some 0000 steel wool and got to work. I started on a small corner of the hatch, since it would be getting paint work regardless of the condition of the OG paint. Turns out there was some slight rust in the black area which was sanded, converted, primered and painted. But as I moved away from this uglier zone, I was rewarded with super pristine, clean, unscratched OG pearl white paint. I haven't yet really dialed in my timing/technique with the paint removal, but the results I've been getting have been worth the time (and hand cramps). The respray is super close to the OG color, so it is kinda hard to tell in the pics, but you'll get the idea.

In the first photo I've stripped the left third of the hatch below the window in addition to the flat area around the license plate (mostly). I've also started on the bottom of the hatch on the right hand side above the lower break line.

In the second photo I just wanted to give you an idea of the color difference and how clean the OG paint is. I had a couple knicks here and there, but nothing that I'm super upset about.

Once I'm done stripping the OG paint on the rest of the hatch, I'll have a shop match the bottom left corner to the OG pearl white.

I really like OG paint cars, and this one will be a bit of a project but will for sure be worth it once complete.
'68 Squareback

OhHerrooo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: OhHerrooo's Pearl White 1967 Squareback Reply with quote

Got the entire hatch stripped and it looks great. Installed my '66 rear view mirror today, scrubbed the engine, cleaned the rear trunk to prep for touch up paint / sound deadener, and adjusted my clutch cable. There is about .75" of free play before there's tension (bowden tube looks good) but the clutch still doesn't engage until much further in the pedal travel. I still have shudder as the clutch is grabbing and going into first gear when the car is cold.

Potential oil leak between engine and trans so clutch is getting oily? Or clutch/flywheel issues?
'68 Squareback

OhHerrooo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: OhHerrooo's Pearl White 1967 Squareback Reply with quote

Time for a quick update. Turns out there were a few other issues hiding below the surface. Took the car to a friend's shop to have the battery tray welded up, motor gone though, etc. Ended up with a solid battery tray, but needing a full rebuild on the motor. Both heads were toast, around 80% leakdown per cylinder. The case was salvageable, it was .040 over but didn't need to be align bored... so we're going with a mild 1776 on the existing case. Obviously new pistons, cylinders, cam, heads, etc.

For the shuddering... turns out my mounts were all completely toast and the clutch lever return spring was busted. Neither of which where helping things. I've been hoarding a bunch of parts like new wheels/tires, a bunch of new rubber, carpet, etc. to get back to work on the car as soon as I get it back from the shop. All the tins are heading to powdercoating on Monday and my case should be back from the machine shop by (hopefully) the end of the week.

The car is still very solid, and I'm really excited to get it back home and on the road.

New floor!

'68 Squareback

OhHerrooo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: OhHerrooo's Pearl White 1967 Squareback Reply with quote

1776 is starting to be assembled! Just picked up all my tins from the powdercoater as well.

'68 Squareback

OhHerrooo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: OhHerrooo's Pearl White 1967 Squareback Reply with quote

Longblock is done! Dropping off tins, exhaust, and heater tubes tomorrow.

'68 Squareback

OhHerrooo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: OhHerrooo's Pearl White 1967 Squareback Reply with quote

Motor is finished... getting broken in today. Can't say how stoked I am to have Brien from Roth Vintage working on my car.

'68 Squareback

oxsign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: OhHerrooo's Pearl White 1967 Squareback Reply with quote

Sexy, very nice.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OhHerrooo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: OhHerrooo's Pearl White 1967 Squareback Reply with quote

Been slowly chipping away at the car over the last few weeks. Driving it every day. Installed a new (to me) rear bumper, a ton of seals (hood, trunk, engine lid, front + rear signal + reflector seals), some amber tail lights, new reflectors + used turn signal lenses, hatch hinge covers, and stainless trim. I've got a bunch of other parts (ISP tach, fresh air box seals, pop out refresh kit, speaker panels + stereo) waiting and ready to go in.

I lowered my front end 2 inner splines and will be lowering the rear 1 inner in the coming weeks (with new inner + outer torsion bushings).

I also recently prepped my interior for carpet by wire wheeling all the surface rust + dirt off my pans and applied 3 coats of Master Coat followed by 2 layers of Noico sound deadener. Carpet will be going in this weekend. Here's a few photos.

Pre-trim, post lowering.

Not sure if I'll be keeping the sprint stars. They do rub a bit - so I'll either get repop cosmics (with better offset) or some oldspeed narrowed arms + short axles in back. Will likely have the tranny rebuilt when the short axles go in.
'68 Squareback

OhHerrooo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: OhHerrooo's Pearl White 1967 Squareback Reply with quote

Started fitting the TMI carpet kit earlier tonight - really stoked to finally see some carpet in this car.

What's the order to installing the glued in carpet pieces? Rockers, then front corners, front firewall, rear bulkhead, then the main floor pieces?
'68 Squareback

Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: OhHerrooo's Pearl White 1967 Squareback Reply with quote

Did you get the correct carpet or the one where the heater outlets are completely wrong? My friend can't get a response on his shit TMI carpet. We know they know about it...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: