Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Y-Pipe Under Rear Seat
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Y-Pipe Under Rear Seat Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:

People who have gotten them in without lifting the pan (the few that have said they did it) broke pieces off the bakelites to try to gain clearance and still had a miserable time of it. The consensus seemed to be you need to lift the body from pan to get them in.

Agreed, if you are going body-off at any point- leave those tubes for body off time.

I will tell you from recent experience, you can put bakelite tubes in without lifting the body (I just did that about 2 months ago). It requires a steady, gentle hand to 'modify' (without cracking)the bakelite tubes to fit up around everything and into the holes without removing the body.

You have to grind/cut down the top and bottom points of the "Diamond" flange to get over the torsion tubes.
You have to cut the flange which sticks into the passenger compartment down to about 1/2 - 3/4". It makes the stub inside short, but still usuable. Use a chunk of styrofoam (or other material)cut to fit inside the flange to support it while you cut the flange (or else it will break- like the first one I did)

And most of all.....

Be.Gentle.
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:45 am    Post subject: Re: Y-Pipe Under Rear Seat Reply with quote

If you’re going with a conduit straight from the Bakelite, you can use the same fresh air hoses that go from your shroud to your heat exchangers. But get the aluminum ones (the air has passed through the heat exchangers and Bakelite, the air is quite hot, and the paper ones might not hold up as long as the aluminum).

Tim

Richard O'Brien
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Y-Pipe Under Rear Seat Reply with quote

I, too, went straight to the heater channel and deleted the rear kick vent.

AlmostHeavenWV_VW wrote:

I did rig up a fix to get heat at least into the heater channels for front floor vent heat and defrost action. I used 1 3/4in preheater hose from the local auto store and two "Fernco" rubber plumbing fittings from the hardware store. If your bakelite tubes (tube flange coming from the rear of the car under the seat) are intact you're golden, but you will have to shave a little bit of the inner diameter of the fernco to slide easier over the bakelite tube.

preheat hose
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/dorman-help-ca.../5194679-P

fernco drain fitting (you need the 2in x 1 1/2in 'reducing' coupling- 2 in sides go to the bakelite and the heater channel, the preheater hose will fit snug inside the smaller 1 1/2in side.)
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Fernco-2-in-dia-Flexible-PVC-Coupling-Fittings/1000075331

it'll look something like this:

Bakelite tube>=========<heater channel snout

Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: