Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

GR15N question
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject: GR15N question Reply with quote

I’m wanting to switch to a 12v generator. I see the GR15N at several places. One description gives it as a 105mm. If I have a 90mm 6volt generator will I need to buy a new stand? Would it be the same one that is used for an alternator? I’ve looked and not seen this info.

* save the “keep it 6 volt” discussion please. I’m not interested.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: GR15N question Reply with quote

Alt and gen stands are bigger than 6volt to further complicate you could use an alt stand with a generator but not other way around. Or you could get the small diameter 12volt gen which is same diameter as 6 volt.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: GR15N question Reply with quote

Ok so the aftermarket alternator stand would work for a 12v generator? The small diameter generators (GR26x) are around but appear to be in the $400-500 price range. I can get the GR15N for $130-140. If I can buy a $20 stand and make it work that’s fine with me. It’ll look stock enough.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: GR15N question Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
Ok so the aftermarket alternator stand would work for a 12v generator?

That's the way I understand this.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: GR15N question Reply with quote

Hey you know what they say about pictures? So here’s something to look at
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here’s the old small diameter 12 volt, you can still find these if you beat the bushs.

Here it is alongside a 6 volt, it’s same physical size.

On the left is alternator version you can see it’s different to clear larger diameter near pulley but it would work for generator too. The generator version of is on right.

Last edited by Zundfolge1432 on Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: GR15N question Reply with quote

Ok. I think I have it and looks like I may have found a couple of stock 12v gen stands in the classifieds. Thanks.

For anyone else looking for the answer to this question the parts numbers for the 12v gen stands appear to be: 113101211B,E, or G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: GR15N question Reply with quote

Ok here’s why the stand is different for alternator, it’s cut out to clear the bigger diameter near pulley end. Finally from time to time I’ve admonished people to install the gen/alt strap just like VW but you see about 50% wrong, wrong also makes a chafe point for wiring harness.

Look at the clamp it’s designed to fit one way and is preformed fit. Install it wrong and you stretch it out of shape and it will break given enough time and vibration.

Yep it’s bigger on this end

I am pointing to the preformed areas of the clamp, try not to be distracted by the girl😀
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: GR15N question Reply with quote

I’ll have to find an OG 12volt clamp I guess
Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: GR15N question Reply with quote

Unless you want one for the look. You would be better off with an alternator.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:16 am    Post subject: Re: GR15N question Reply with quote

Bryan67 wrote:

I’ll bite. How so? I have my reasons for going 12v, but why would an alternator be better? I do want the more vintage look unless there is a real disadvantage. I’m not going big stereo or anything, but I want what i feel is more reliability and versatility of 12v.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:44 am    Post subject: Re: GR15N question Reply with quote

I have no problem with generators. that's all I've ever used on my Bugs.

Something else you my have to plan for is with a larger diameter generator in there, is the carburetor may no longer fit unless it's shimmed upwards.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:56 am    Post subject: Re: GR15N question Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
I have no problem with generators. that's all I've ever used on my Bugs.

Something else you my have to plan for is with a larger diameter generator in there, is the carburetor may no longer fit unless it's shimmed upwards.

The plan is to make the switch the same time I go to dual carbs on the 1776 I’m putting together so that won’t be an issue. It if I do switch sooner I’ll get a riser. I’m more concerned about having to switch the fuel pump as I want to keep the rebuilt square top.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: GR15N question Reply with quote

You mean the 1966-70 style fuel pump? Well, those were used stock next to the 105mm generator. Now, with alternators, they are very tight.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: GR15N question Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
You mean the 1966-70 style fuel pump? Well, those were used stock next to the 105mm generator. Now, with alternators, they are very tight.

Good point. Looks like I’m golden.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: GR15N question Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
Bryan67 wrote:

I’ll bite. How so? I have my reasons for going 12v, but why would an alternator be better? I do want the more vintage look unless there is a real disadvantage. I’m not going big stereo or anything, but I want what i feel is more reliability and versatility of 12v.

The main advantage to the alternator is that you don't have to remote mount the regulator and run the power output and dash warning light wires to the new regulator location. 6v generators had the regulator on top of the generator. 12v generators had the regulator located under the back seat. Most 12v alternators (and the ones you buy new now) have the regulator built into them so the power and warning light wires run to the alternator.

It may be possible to run the generator fuel pump with an alternator, but I doubt you could remove it without first lifting the alternator.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: GR15N question Reply with quote

Me, I don't remote mount my regulators. Just have to drill and tap an extra hole on top of the generator.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: