Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 4 into a type 1 oil cooler adapter mods
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sved
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:23 pm    Post subject: Type 4 into a type 1 oil cooler adapter mods Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

man I hope this works!!!!!!!!
sbnova
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excuse my ignorance here, but where do the rigid pipes attach to? Are they just sticking through the shroud, and you'll attach hoses to them from a full flow?
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/448794 (Vette,Nova,Typhoon)
SkrapMetal
Samba Hornblaster

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Won't fitting a T4 cooler onto a T1 fan shroud make you run hotter? Maybe I'm thinking of something else....
Banzai KG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe Jake Raby can chime in on his thoughts about your setup.
V.V.W.C.A. - Golden Gate Chapter: http://www.ggcvvwca.org/
B.L.T.N. (Better Late Than Never) late model VW Club (San Jose/Santa Clara, CA): https://www.facebook.com/groups/bltnvw/
NorCal Aircooled Group (NAG) Facebook Goup: https://www.facebook.com/groups/NAGVW/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SkrapMetal
Samba Hornblaster

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I remember Glenn saying that he tried attaching a T4 cooler to a T1 shroud on a T1 and the oil ran hotter... but I'm not sure about a T4 engine.
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok guys here is the story. I built my conversion before I wrote the manual and was not about to take the engine apart to take photos. That part I did in Auto Cad drawings. When SVED came to my fourm and showed the photos I asked he share them here. A stock T-4 has it's oil cooler in the area of a T-1 oil sender. Therefore when you convert the engine to an upright you remove the stock cooler and place an aftermarket Type I remote oil cooler adaptor in it's place. When you fit the T-1 doghouse fanhousing, holes must be made to accept the two hose that come from the remote oil cooler adaptor to the stock T-1 oil cooler adaptor in the fanhousing. The photo shows a stock T-1 adaptor with it's two bottom holes plugged. The reason being, a T-4 does not have holes in the block for the oil to flow. It gets it's oil from the two hoses. The stock adaptor has two remaining holes that the oil cooler mates. You take a drill the same size as the holes and drill clear though to the other side of the adaptor. The two new holes drilled will be tapped to fit the pipes shown, then two brass nipples are fitted. The hoses attach between the brass nipples of the stock adaptor and the remote adaptor. One cool thing is when you remove the fanhousing the oil cooler lifts out with it.
As for Glenn's car running hotter with the T-4 cooler, I don't believe that to be the case. If I remember correctly Glenn said he did not see a difference with the T-4 cooler. I am sure Glenn will clear that up. To be honest, I know guys that run T-1 coolers and say the T-4 runs cool. I have had my T-4 cooler on my car since 1998 and the car runs real cool. But, hey first you try a T-1 cooler and if it runs hot go for the T-4,which you will have to do a bit of light metal work to extend the fanhousings doghouse to fit the T-4 cooler as shown in the photos.
Great photos and hey thanks for the plug showing my manual!!!!!!!
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gnasha
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 into a type 1 oil cooler adapter mods Reply with quote

sved wrote:

Hi can you remember the ID of the male to female brass fitting you used?

Thanks
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 into a type 1 oil cooler adapter mods Reply with quote

Gnasha wrote:

Thanks

It does look a bit restrictive.
Gnasha
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 into a type 1 oil cooler adapter mods Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Gnasha wrote:

Thanks

It does look a bit restrictive.

I'm in the process of doing a conversion now.

The oil holes in the adaptor are ~10mm. the two bosses will not allow you to go beyond 1/4 pipe without potentiall bursting the walls, which means the ID will reduce to 8-9mm for 1/4 BSP. I'm not sure what if any restriction this will have on oil flow.
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 into a type 1 oil cooler adapter mods Reply with quote

Gnasha wrote:
sved wrote:

Thanks

Just an fyi: total zombie thread, and the original poster hasn’t even logged onto the site for 5 years.
Gnasha
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 into a type 1 oil cooler adapter mods Reply with quote

hazetguy wrote:
Gnasha wrote:
sved wrote:

Thanks

Just an fyi: total zombie thread, and the original poster hasn’t even logged onto the site for 5 years.

thank you, I was hoping to see it the original guy was still around and had there been any issues with cooling related to the restricted oil passages.

thanks again
Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 into a type 1 oil cooler adapter mods Reply with quote

While this post is a zombiethread and OP hasn’t been seen from in a while, Nextgen (the designer of this conversion mod) is a regular. If you want need guidance, could wait to see if he shows, or send a PM.

Good luck with the conversion. I’ve got one in planning stages, but a ways from being on the table.

Rev.
69 Bwajaja
"The wise speak because they have something to say; while the foolish speak because they have to say something." Plato

Illigitimi non-Carborundum!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mile High Puma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 into a type 1 oil cooler adapter mods Reply with quote

I finished mocking mine up recently, here are some pics and there are more in the gallery. Tapped for 3/8" NPT.

Gnasha
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 into a type 1 oil cooler adapter mods Reply with quote

hazetguy wrote:
Gnasha wrote:
sved wrote:

Thanks

thank you I PM'd Joe this morning for his comments before i saw this thread

thanks again.
Gnasha
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 into a type 1 oil cooler adapter mods Reply with quote

[quote="Mile High Puma"]I finished mocking mine up recently, here are some pics and there are more in the gallery. Tapped for 3/8" NPT.

hi thanks for the photos, I have a couple of questions. if that's OK

1) Whats the reduced bore ID entering the adapter

2) why did you choose 3/8 NPT? i was a little nervous to go that big in case the walls of the adapter gave way and burst while tapping.

thanks again
Mile High Puma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 into a type 1 oil cooler adapter mods Reply with quote

The ID of the smaller fitting is about .43” which is slightly bigger than the .4” passage in the cooler. I felt that the openings in the 1/4” fittings were just too small and that there was enough meat left in the 3/8” fittings to support the fittings if the hoses are secured properly to prevent any undue strain and vibration to the fittings.
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 into a type 1 oil cooler adapter mods Reply with quote

Hi guys and Mate, ok it is now 10 years later and my engine looks like hell but runs like new.

The question was wondering if the cast iron pipes work and the engine did not over heat. Nope!!! I had no clue if what ever i did was going to make the engine run hot. Wound up the other way had trouble getting it to running temp. The T-4 engine is very forgiving due to the heads being 1/3 larger then a T-1 head, therefore they dissipate more heat.

I had to run a 90c T-1 thermostat that solved the problem. Following my manual and being off here and there seems to make little difference to the engine getting hotter. The engine is not pushing a 2 ton bus or even a 300lb more 914 it is working on a light 1700 bug and hardly working.

Here is humbling video a guy dedicated to me, put up the volumn and enjoy.
the oil cooler pipes he used are visible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deD2JxpUA48

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1677127
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 into a type 1 oil cooler adapter mods Reply with quote

Mile High Puma wrote:
The ID of the smaller fitting is about .43” which is slightly bigger than the .4” passage in the cooler. I felt that the openings in the 1/4” fittings were just too small and that there was enough meat left in the 3/8” fittings to support the fittings if the hoses are secured properly to prevent any undue strain and vibration to the fittings.

That looks much better!
Gnasha
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 into a type 1 oil cooler adapter mods Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Mile High Puma wrote:

That looks much better!

It does look so much better, however I'm not sure if I want to risk drilling and tapping it out to 3/8 NPT, especially if the restricted flow through the <10mm bore will not compromise the cooling efficiency.

do I feel lucky? Rolling Eyes
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 into a type 1 oil cooler adapter mods Reply with quote

Risk a leak or risk oil starvation. Your choice. Life is full of risks and we just choose whichever we feel is lowest.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: