Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bad lifter??
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SSWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad lifter?? Reply with quote

Time has proven Marvel Mystery Oil can't fix everything. After a fresh oil change this summer to Shell Rotella 15w-40 I've had the dreaded return of lifters failing to stay pumped up. After the oil change I had an event that took 15-20 minutes of driving to quiet the lifter down so I added 16 ounces of marvel to the engine. Even with Marvel in the engine I've had two occurrences of lifter noise on startup over the past couple months. It's random enough that I am not sure if I have a lifter that's a little dirty or if one of them is just getting worn out.

It's random enough I doubt I'll chase it down until it gets more consistent. Not sure what to say about Marvel other than in my case it didn't make my random lifter noise go away.
Vanagator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Bad lifter?? Reply with quote

After an oil change and then a six hour drive I started to hear lifter ticking from left side.
Now, after two days and driving about 25 miles she's still ticking....
Should i pop the covers and check valve adjustment?
Should i do nothing and keep driving to see if it stops?
what do you think?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad lifter?? Reply with quote

Vanagator wrote:
After an oil change and then a six hour drive I started to hear lifter ticking from left side.
Now, after two days and driving about 25 miles she's still ticking....
Should i pop the covers and check valve adjustment?
Should i do nothing and keep driving to see if it stops?
what do you think?

What oil are you running? I strongly believe in running a synthetic oil with a low (0w**, 5w**) first number. The synthetic keeps the engine clean and the thinner oil allows the lifters to pump up more readily when cold.

YMMV
Vanagator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:45 am    Post subject: Re: Bad lifter?? Reply with quote

Im using Gtx 20w50...
Drove another 15 miles still tick ticking...
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: Bad lifter?? Reply with quote

Vanagator wrote:
Im using Gtx 20w50...

What is the temperature there?
20w-50 may be great for June, July and August, but this time of year in the "cooler" season it is the wrong oil because it is too thick and the tappets need a free flowing oil.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Vanagator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Bad lifter?? Reply with quote

Well its gotten cooler here in Mexico for sure. Its been about 60-70F.
Maybe another oil change? Hate to waste that oil... But..planning to travel more.
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Bad lifter?? Reply with quote

Vanagator wrote:
Im using Gtx 20w50...

Are you using the gtx "high mileage" 20-50 oil? I recently switched to that on my syncro and it has really helped my lifter tick significantly. Its a synthetic blend and so far has been great in my experience.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanagator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Bad lifter?? Reply with quote

As far as I know it is not synthetic it is the GTX 20w 50 Castrol
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Bad lifter?? Reply with quote

They do also make Castrol GTX in 10w-30, 10w-40 weights.
Check out their full range of oils, but also depends on your local stores.

https://www.castrol.com/en_us/united-states/motor-oil/all-viscosities.html

If the 20w-50 you just put in is new -save in a clean container to use it again.
Just because you drain it from your engine after a short use doesn't mean it's garbage. Use new filters and your good to go with it.

Vanagator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Bad lifter?? Reply with quote

Right on, Thanks Steve...
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Bad lifter?? Reply with quote

Vanagator wrote:
Im using Gtx 20w50...

Check your exhaust for leaks. A leak at the head flange can sound like a tick..
Vanagator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad lifter?? Reply with quote

OK Jberger, I all do that,thanks
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad lifter?? Reply with quote

I have quick question. I was told by a mechanic yesterday (Valley Wagonworks Bay Area) that I had bad lifters after he just heard it running for a short while. I don't doubt him as he sounds pretty savvy. Buy he sounded pretty convinced that once lifters go bad it is time for a whole new engine, and that a new engine installed is $12K. Now I am new to the Vanagon world and am skeptical about some of the things I was told. My engine was rebuilt 75k miles ago, does it seem reasonable that after hearing an engine run a good VW mechanic could determine that this one is unsalvageable? And of so, wouldn't a rebuild be considerably cheaper than a whole new engine?

Thank you guys/gals for your help.
Trentin E
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad lifter?? Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
I have quick question. I was told by a mechanic yesterday (Valley Wagonworks Bay Area) that I had bad lifters after he just heard it running for a short while. I don't doubt him as he sounds pretty savvy. Buy he sounded pretty convinced that once lifters go bad it is time for a whole new engine, and that a new engine installed is $12K. Now I am new to the Vanagon world and am skeptical about some of the things I was told. My engine was rebuilt 75k miles ago, does it seem reasonable that after hearing an engine run a good VW mechanic could determine that this one is unsalvageable? And of so, wouldn't a rebuild be considerably cheaper than a whole new engine?

Thank you guys/gals for your help.
Trentin E

Read the thread again and do the recommendations before letting anyone sell you a new engine. In other words-don't trust anyone who wants to take your money out of your wallet!
What are you getting for 12K? For that money I'll live in the back and pedal!

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad lifter?? Reply with quote

There are a whole lot of things you should try before you drain you bank account by that amount. Do some searching and reading, there is a lot of good info archived here on The Samba.
Vanagator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad lifter?? Reply with quote

Quote:

Thanks jberger for the tip to check exhaust....Well just an update on my preconceived lifter ticking/ping.....wrong!
After close inspection I discovered a small hole in my exhaust pipe, shown here....
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Sure sounded like my ole lifter ping but clearly now it's an exhaust leak.
I guess the best way to fix that is to weld. Any advice of patching a hole like this??
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad lifter?? Reply with quote

Vanagator wrote:
Quote:

Thanks jberger for the tip to check exhaust....Well just an update on my preconceived lifter ticking/ping.....wrong!
After close inspection I discovered a small hole in my exhaust pipe, shown here....
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Sure sounded like my ole lifter ping but clearly now it's an exhaust leak.
I guess the best way to fix that is to weld. Any advice of patching a hole like this??

The metal is typically so thin it is very hard to weld without blowing through. You really need to spend a lot of time and apply weld over a large area as the entire bend is going to be paper thin and will continually give problems. If you aren't set up to do you own welding, you may end up paying a welder for a lot of time. It might be better to just bite the bullet and replace the whole shebang, though you may be able to get by with just welding in an elbow.
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad lifter?? Reply with quote

SSWesty wrote:
Time has proven Marvel Mystery Oil can't fix everything. After a fresh oil change this summer to Shell Rotella 15w-40 I've had the dreaded return of lifters failing to stay pumped up.

What filter?

Ive found exactly the opposite of what some here suggest. Thin oil causes the lifters to collapse easier.

The thin oil thing did seem attractive, thin oil slips around gunk easier and the detergent package fixes it..... it just never worked for me.

Many of the valve quieting products are very thick oils, some seem almost like gear oil.

I DONT use MMO. I have used a product called valve medic I think or CD2 . They are heavy duty detergent packages. Followed by shorter interval oil changes. Some have suggest some ATF, which jas a very high dtergent content.

MMO is solvent mostly. Seems like an odd thing to put in an oil. I know many have had success

Ive never had an engine that needed MMO or CD2 that was ever truly cured of the occasional clarter when the engine sat for extended periods.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf
SSWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad lifter?? Reply with quote

I've been running Napa Gold filters which are thought to be made by WIX. This summer I've switched from Shell Rotella 15-40 conventional to Mobil 10-40 synthetic with a Mann filter. I've run Napa Golds and Mann filters before with the same random lifter noise. One of these days I'll check to see if an adjustment is needed. At this point the clanging is too far apart and random for me to check it the lifter adjustment.
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad lifter?? Reply with quote

SSWesty wrote:
I've been running Napa Gold filters which are thought to be made by WIX. This summer I've switched from Shell Rotella 15-40 conventional to Mobil 10-40 synthetic with a Mann filter.

Did it start occurring when you switched yo the 10/40?

Heavier oil would probaly fix it. With one 200k waterboxer I had back in the day, it would clatter with anything but sae30.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: