Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do to your Bug Today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 338, 339, 340 ... 447, 448, 449  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

When I replaced the hoses on the remote oil filter last weekend, I apparently flipped them. The pressurized oil was going up into the center of the filter, the opposite of how it's designed to work.

I ran around a bunch that weekend, then drove it to work on Tuesday. When I went to lunch, my oil light came on. I pulled over and one of the hoses had blown off, even with my crimp clamps on it. It must have been under a TON of pressure. I'm guessing the check valve in the filter was being held shut by the oil pressure from the wrong direction.

So I had it towed home. Today I resolved the issue, hooking things up where they belong. Then took it for a nice long drive to make sure I hadn't broken anything. Engine was strong and happy so I'm calling it good. Took SharkDaughter with me. She had fun too. Smile
mrpinkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

With the help of my 6 year old, we installed a stereo and speakers. And we also sticker bombed and installed a wire cover. Having tunes while driving is so much better.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

MERKURmeow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:

I feel your pain. My Supers PO decided to remove the front engine tin. Its completely missing. I really need to replace that. Since you had your torn down, does it look like the front tin (doghouse style) can be replaced without dropping the engine? Looked possible to me, but haven't tried yet. Been busy fixing other issues. How hard was it removing the fan shroud? Looked like I would maybe need to remove that to replace the front tin.

The piece that goes bellow the tar-board could probably be put in if the hood was off but it would be a PITA. You should definitely pull the shroud so you can see what else is going on in there. Its not hard, and you'll most likely find and fix other stuff in the process so its very worth it.
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

peters3103 wrote:
So much for masking up for two tone wheels.
Decided to do them all red which I’m pretty happy with. I think it sits well with the colour and red trim and also the white-walls.
What do you reckon?
Next job is to lower the back a little and maybe a narrowed adjustable beam up front

I reckon the color choice is perfect - as is the stance Smile I also reckon you are now dreaming up things to do on this perfect bug because its perfect and you need something to keep busy!!!
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
MERKURmeow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

I kind-of fixed my front defroster. I'm not sure how well it's supposed to work but mine is pretty terrible. I also verified that everything BUT the rear defroster switch is in tact. Still have no idea where it ran off too...
alex857
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:19 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Yesterday, I drove my 1983 Selvas Green Mexican to a business meeting in Southern Germany, and shot this photo parking in front of of the town hall.

AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Began my winter's work of troubleshooting my intermittent/finicky horn. Push on the center of horn button, no beep. Wrap hand around the button and back cover of the steering wheel and give a loving squeeze- BEEEP.

Ran continuity tests on my horn button and new horn contact ring/turn signal switch canceler. Both checked out. Cool

I suspect a combo of cheap aftermarket parts and rust has cause poor connections on the parts the PO replaced some years ago.

Or my old girl just likes to hold hands Wink
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

AlmostHeavenWV_VW wrote:
Began my winter's work of troubleshooting my intermittent/finicky horn. Push on the center of horn button, no beep. Wrap hand around the button and back cover of the steering wheel and give a loving squeeze- BEEEP.

Ran continuity tests on my horn button and new horn contact ring/turn signal switch canceler. Both checked out. Cool

I suspect a combo of cheap aftermarket parts and rust has cause poor connections on the parts the PO replaced some years ago.

Or my old girl just likes to hold hands Wink

Be sure to check the contact ring at the back side of the steering wheel, sometimes they get bad spots in them. Also, check for the 3mm gap at the steering wheel to steering box. If you do not have that gap pretty close, the contact strip will sometimes not interact with the steering wheel.

Additionally, there is a column bearing retained by a circlip down in the housing which is the direct ground for the horn. Sometimes this bearing either starts to fail and gives up the ghost or the insulating clam shells wear through, or the insulator goes MIA from a previous owners attempt at repairs. You should inspect all of it.

That is one of the hardest circuits to get your mind to wrap around. I have been dinking with these cars for 30 plus years and still, to this day, I have to go back through my own diagram to get the concept for the horn circuit. Why the engineers did it opposite everyone else, isolating the steering shaft, is beyond me! Seems like just isolating the button would have been good enough, like ALL other cars! I completed this task about 50 times or so, so should you have any questions - fire away! Good luck!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
74 standard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Finished rubbing out the clear coat!
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

That color looks amazing.
mrpinkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Seconded, that is some really nice paint. It look amazing.
DurocShark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

74 standard wrote:
Finished rubbing out the clear coat!

Did I see you post some of your progress pics on Imgur?
Mid Engine Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

^^^^ That is just beautiful!

I pulled my junk 2 year old Odyssey battery out. It is in roughly the same spot as a normal Bug, but I have got a whole lot more stuff in the way. By far the hardest battery I have ever pulled out. It actually took 2 people. I am relocating it to the trunk because of it. I need some more weight up front anyways.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679467
DurocShark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Went to test fit my new 92mm thick wall cylinders to my 1835 case. I was led to believe that the case was cut for 94's so should work for 92 thick walls.

Nope.

Pulled one of the old cylinders from the bottom end build and it's definitely smaller than my new ones.

The case is assembled, so I don't want to tear it down again to have it cut for 94's. Anybody think it's worth turning down the bases of the new cylinders?
Vanillagurilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:54 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

DurocShark wrote:
Went to test fit my new 92mm thick wall cylinders to my 1835 case. I was led to believe that the case was cut for 94's so should work for 92 thick walls.

Nope.

Pulled one of the old cylinders from the bottom end build and it's definitely smaller than my new ones.

The case is assembled, so I don't want to tear it down again to have it cut for 94's. Anybody think it's worth turning down the bases of the new cylinders?

It's done all the time, I actually bought a set from AA that were 94 at the head and 92 at the case. I did it this route because I got a great deal on some cnc ported big valve heads cut for 94s. So you will have to do the bottom of the jugs AND have your heads opened for 94s.
Vanillagurilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:03 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Brakes were shot and I had a complete beam and rear end at my cousin's house with brand new brakes but they are 5 lug. Not wanting to shell out 60-80 each for new drums locally I got some 5-4 lug adapters and went to work. What a pita this was, I thought it would be easier to swap all the backing plates from one set on to the car and it was but it took a long time. Brakes feel 100x better and it widened the track a bit but that's ok with me for now. Eventually I'll put front discs on it and get some new 4 lug drums but for now all the brakes are new and so are the rubber lines.

VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Hey Vanillagurilla,

Nice job on the brake swap! Be sure to check the camber after swapping those front spindles.

Noticed in you pic the heater channel rust. Be careful, that area looks better on the outside. Those channels are like the frame of the car, so dont wait too long to repair.

Have fun driving and stopping!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
MERKURmeow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Replaced my rear brake hose, bled the brakes and drove it Navato, Ca to Viking Auto ( best VW shop in California north bay) picked up a bunch of stuff. Installed a new power adder! Developed an oil leak on the way home from my 45 minute drive.

Soon to be repaired....
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Replaced the master cylinder, right-rear inner and outer wheel bearings and drum on my '72 Super. I'd been having terrible brake problems on the car for months now - right rear wheel grabs and lets go at braking, causing major pedal pulsing and jerky driving, drum too hot to touch and burning brake shoe smell; bearings (at least I think that's what was making noise) would also creak loudly. Yes, I was throwing parts at it - I'd already replaced both right-side wheel cylinders, shoes and spring kits, confirmed my steel-braided "soft" lines were clear w/no luck. But the noise, pulsing, and squeaking are gone for the moment...but I won't believe (whatever) it was is fixed until I make it all the way to spring w/out a recurrence!!

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DurocShark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Drove it. Smile

It does quite well at 65mph indicated (closer to 80mph on those big rear tires).

I'm considering just trying to fix the rear crank pulley leak and letting the other leaks be. That 2180 is so wonderful with those big tires. If it didn't have the mechanical distributor flat spots I'd consider the engine just about perfect. Less the leaks.

Discovered it has a fuel leak too... Hard right turns = strong fuel smell. I'm guessing the rubber bits to the filler neck are bad. There's like a dozen parts to that. What the heck? Why? Why not just one molded hose? Sigh.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 338, 339, 340 ... 447, 448, 449  Next
Jump to:
Page 339 of 449

Jump to: