Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New to VWs could anyone answer some questions?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ridenourd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject: New to VWs could anyone answer some questions? Reply with quote

So I bought a project sand rail and I’m having some trouble identifying what everything is on the motor and other general stuff(mounting seats, petals, battery, etc.) for now my only questions are how do I mount the seats(it’s a two seater with fiberglass seats) and what it the pipe that runs from the top of one head to another, and looks like a pipe may run into the exhast on the backside of the motor. Also it would be nice to figure out the year of the motor! Thanks
Rail
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Rail

Pipe?

Pipe to exhast?
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: New to VWs could anyone answer some questions? Reply with quote

Fab/weld something to mount the seats to. A lot of people bolt to floorpan. Search crow harness mounting for proper belt placement.
Carb heat, hooks to exhaust. To prevent carb icing.
Motor serial #is stamped in block under generator stand.
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: New to VWs could anyone answer some questions? Reply with quote

Ridenourd wrote:
what it the pipe that runs from the top of one head to another, and looks like a pipe may run into the exhast on the backside of the motor.

That's your intake manifold. Your carburetor will bolt to it.

Some off-road exhausts have provisions for manifold heat.

My engine is a 1600 single port. I think both manifolds are the same. Odds are you have a 1600 too.

~I'm almost done. I just lack finishing up.~ Anxious
veeweeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: New to VWs could anyone answer some questions? Reply with quote

Only way to tell the difference between 1500 and 1600 is to pull the heads off...the 1500 had 83mm pistons while 1600 had 85.5.
Mal evolent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: New to VWs could anyone answer some questions? Reply with quote

take the sway bar off the car, cut it where is starts to bend, and hammer it into the tie rod

The book: https://www.amazon.com/Baja-Bugs-Buggies-VW-based-...ff+hibbard

Baja Bugs for Volkswagen Virgins: Index
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: New to VWs could anyone answer some questions? Reply with quote

Ridenourd wrote:
So I bought a project sand rail
Rail

Rail

Welcome to our addiction!

It looks like you bought a pretty decent offroad buggy. Do you have a plan for how you intend to use it? Woods trails? Dunes? Beach? Desert? Mountains? Street Crying or Very sad ?

Ridenourd wrote:
and I’m having some trouble identifying what everything is on the motor and other general stuff(mounting seats, petals, battery, etc.) for now my only questions are how do I mount the seats(it’s a two seater with fiberglass seats) and what it the pipe that runs from the top of one head to another, and looks like a pipe may run into the exhast on the backside of the motor. Also it would be nice to figure out the year of the motor! Thanks

Pipe?

Pipe to exhast?

The pipe is the intake manifold. It's what connects the carburetor to the cylinder heads. The small pipe underneath that connects to the exhaust is there to do 2 things. 1. To support the carburetor. That far from the heads makes for a lot of leverage to shake the manifold out of the heads. 2. It gets warmed up by the exhaust, then transfers that heat to the intake manifold to prevent icing in the intake. You make more horsepower if the intake is cold, but then it clogs up with ice and you make less power.

Looking at that intake manifold tells me the engine has "single port" cylinder heads. There is one port where the intake manifold meets the head, it then vee's out inside the head to the cylinders. The later style is called "Dual Port. There are 2 pipes together side by side at the sides of the engine and 2 ports in the cylinder head. That makes a little bit more power at high rpm, but not a lot, especially with the stock carb.

To figure out the year of the engine, look on the fan belt end of the engine block, under the base of the casting that supports the generator. It will have letters and numbers. Copy that down, then look near the top of this page. The dark blue band says at the right end "Technical". put your cursor on that and a drop-down menu lists VIN/Chassis numbers. Go in there and it will open a page "Bus VIN / Chassis Numbers". Just under the blue bar, select Type 1. The 3rd column from the left says "Engine". Go down that column until you get near 1970, then look for your engine number. It won't list your number exactly, it lists them by the range of numbers built in a certain year.

THEN...Keep in mind that your engine is pushing 50 years old. The odds are VERY HIGH that the engine is not just the way it came out of the factory. Your engine probably started out as a 1300, 1500 or 1600 with single port heads. It is almost certainly a 1600 now. Cylinders fit in the same cylinder head holes for all 3 engine sizes<and the same size holes for 1500 or 1600, and they cost the same, in fact, 1600 cylinders are often less expensive and easier to find than 1500 or 1300 cylinders. So the odds are high that your engine is now a 1600. It MIGHT be bigger, but with single port heads, probably not. Now...Look at the engine where the distributor is. Straight down under the on the bottom of the engine, there is a huge flat head screw. That is part of the oil system. It's there on ALL Bug engines from the 1940s all the way until VW stopped building those engines in the 2000s. Now if you look forward on the bottom near where the engine meets the transmission, if there is another one of those huge screws, then your engine is a 1971 or later. It's a little better, but for a newbie, no big difference. I won't go into all the technical details of that here.

Regardless of all that about what year your engine is, you won't be buying parts for it by the year.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.

Last edited by dustymojave on Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: New to VWs could anyone answer some questions? Reply with quote

Your front suspension is link pin style. 1965 or earlier. For offroad use, that a good thing. But it's stock, so no big difference with all stock.

Looking in the background of the 1st pic, I see the transmission. You have a swingaxle transmission and rear suspension. IRS that doesn't have those long axles is considered better. But swingaxle can be pretty good. You aren't going to be racing the buggy are you, so it won't make that big of a difference to you, especially as a noob.

My old offroad race buggy that you can see in my avatar is pretty much like yours. Link pin front and swingaxle rear. It takes some money and some knowledge of what you're doing to upgrade it to that point. But mine is still much the way it was in the late 70s and early 80s when I was racing it. It still works pretty well and surprises people who are used to much fancier buggies. It can still be more fun than most people would think that the law would allow.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ridenourd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: New to VWs could anyone answer some questions? Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for responding! I already know I’m going to love this forum Cool . No I don’t plan on racing it, there’s old gravel pits, dunes, and bigger hills (don’t wanna call them mountains per say) I just wanted something to work on and fill my free time!
Ridenourd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: New to VWs could anyone answer some questions? Reply with quote

Any recommendations on pedals? I want to go with a master cylinder on the pedal, but do I need a slave cylinder? And there are two wheel and four wheel peddles I have found on appletree, I’m just not exactly sure what to get! And how do I hook the shifter linkage up, I have a shifter rod and shifter already but there is no bracket that it’s meant to sit in already. Thanks! I also got the swing axle welded on today and the motor in!

cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: New to VWs could anyone answer some questions? Reply with quote

Any buggy supply should have a shifter box. The box has holes to mount the shifter and to allow the shifter to engage the shift rod. I made a bracket that bolted to the box and allowed me to mount my super shifter. The super shifter has a u joint instead of a stock coupler that allows more angle so it could be mounted closer to steering wheel.

Ridenourd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: New to VWs could anyone answer some questions? Reply with quote

I know there’s probably a bunch of other threads that have asked similar questions but it’s hard to nit pick threw them finding the same symptoms at this point in time, so I’ve been playing with the shifter rod that comes out of the transaxle(haven’t got shifter linkage hooked up yet) and just by moving it I believe I can find 1st, 2nd, and either 3rd or fourth, but it seams to not want to go over to reverse and it won’t go into either 3rd or 4th( over to the passenger and into transaxle) I might have it backwards in my head on which is which it’s kinda hard without having shifter linkage hooked up. I believe it’s a sedan transaxle any help would be great!
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: New to VWs could anyone answer some questions? Reply with quote

The pattern at transaxle shift rod (facing front of transaxle) should be:

Rev 11:00 and out
1 st 12:00 and in
2 nd 12:00 and out
3 rd 1:00 and in
4 th 1:00 and out

Yes its exactly opposite as shifter ....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Ridenourd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: New to VWs could anyone answer some questions? Reply with quote

So I got my exhast in today thinking that it came with the heat riser connection, and it doesn’t, i was just wondering if it would be alright if I just blocked them off with the heat riser block off kit. It’s a single port, single carb, I believe it’s a 1600, and I won’t be running in and temps colder than say 45 degrees.
Also the crank pully bolt seams to thread half way in perfectly by hand and then it just stops, no matter how hard I try to tighten it won’t tighten, the threads look fine on the bolt, any common issues with this?
Below is a piture of the exhast and I decided to paint it red😎

Fenix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: New to VWs could anyone answer some questions? Reply with quote

Ridenourd wrote:
So I got my exhast in today thinking that it came with the heat riser connection, and it doesn’t, i was just wondering if it would be alright if I just blocked them off with the heat riser block off kit. It’s a single port, single carb, I believe it’s a 1600, and I won’t be running in and temps colder than say 45 degrees.
Also the crank pully bolt seams to thread half way in perfectly by hand and then it just stops, no matter how hard I try to tighten it won’t tighten, the threads look fine on the bolt, any common issues with this?
Below is a piture of the exhast and I decided to paint it red😎

Now it really is my rails Twin!
FeelthySanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: New to VWs could anyone answer some questions? Reply with quote

That new color is sharp!
Be advised that heat risers are necessary for proper fuel atomization, & to prevent intake plenum "icing". The risers also support the manifold: think of a table w/ only 2 legs.
There may be a commercial kit for this, but if not: how good of a fabricator are we? Cutting, drilling & welding is required. A crafty fellow could easily cobble-together the bits needed.
Re crank pulley bolt: suspect some FOD, or thread buggery. Remove it & clean/inspect the threads on both the bolt & crank. If no damage, reinstall bolt w/ some anti-seize paste. If it still stops @ same spot, run a tap into the crank's threads to clear any debris/thread damage.
Ridenourd wrote:
So I got my exhaust in today thinking that it came with the heat riser connection, and it doesn’t, i was just wondering if it would be alright if I just blocked them off with the heat riser block off kit. It’s a single port, single carb, I believe it’s a 1600, and I won’t be running in and temps colder than say 45 degrees.

Enough clue..Whats that mean?
OldIronSpine wrote:
I'm not sure how compression works.
Turbos don't produce torque, they produce HP. Instead of torque.
The real problem with NA engines is you don't hear the nice whine of the turbo as it spools up.
Before I commit, I'm going to do more research because I don't really know what piston rings are.
Ridenourd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: New to VWs could anyone answer some questions? Reply with quote

So with the heat risers, the exhast gas is going through the pipe up to the part under the carb correct? I have an idea how to connect it but I’m just making sure that I do have to cut holes in the exhast pipe and connect to the heat riser pipe For it to work as it should.
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: New to VWs could anyone answer some questions? Reply with quote

Yes the exhaust should flow through the heat risers. Hard to do with headers, the original muffler set up had the pipes connect at different places to force flow.
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
'73 Personenkraftwagen Type 182 "Thing"
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: New to VWs could anyone answer some questions? Reply with quote

Support for the intake manifold is needed. That can be achieved using a piece of strap stock with 90° bends at the ends, fastened at the bottom to a fuel pump stud, and at the top to the carb stud at the manifold flange.

Whether heat risers to heat the manifold are needed is a subject of a substantial amount of argumentation. And I fully expect somebody to argue with my comments here about it.

My Baja was run for decades with a Solex carb and no heat risers. In weather as cold as -6°F. Never noticed any icing trouble. This was in the relatively dry climate of SoCal, much of it in the desert. Those who live in soggy climates just might have more need of manifold heat. There are those who insist icing is a problem even in warm weather. Something tells me those folks are not fans of the application of Nitrous Oxide as it increases horsepower by chilling and thus densifying the intake charge.
SoCalBajas Member
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: New to VWs could anyone answer some questions? Reply with quote

Yup heat risers do better for support than transfer heat...

I did have my Baja with a Holley Bugspray freeze up on HW 152 one early foggy morning, the motor just bogged and died and I sat there in the cold, dark fog...pretty freaky. I ended up pulling off the fresh air heater hose and run it from the under the pushrods straight into the carb. I think preheating is better than heat risers.
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
'73 Personenkraftwagen Type 182 "Thing"
Ridenourd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:42 pm    Post subject: Re: New to VWs could anyone answer some questions? Reply with quote

Thanks for the help on this, I am going to try what dustymojave said with supporting the intake and not hooking the heat risers up as it will be easier than trying to fab my own heat riser connections and risk ruining my exhast (as I’m not very expierienced with fab work yet). If I do expierence problems I will attempt to fab some connections.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: