Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ballistic missile attack on Hawaii
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Ballistic missile attack on Hawaii Reply with quote

lovethatconvertible wrote:
andk5591 wrote:
Recently watched that Twilight Zone where there was a false alarm on a nuclear attack. One family had a bomb shelter and the entire neighborhood went nuts trying to get in - eventually breaking down the door to get in.....

Wonder how much of that happened....and seriously, was maybe a good thing this happened in a way....I am sure that a LOT of people are reviewing their systems and processes. Just hoping nobody got hurt over this.

My Lovely wife did a research study in college on how several groups of people will function under pressure, unfortunately it didn't turn out well, as the bulk of the study group came un-glued during the study. For the most part, a large of part of the population can't handle or deal with pressure it when it gets real. This time the Hawaii incident was a human mistake, but it shows how complacent our society has become over the years, we really are not ready for the day when it gets serious.

Question I have is; was it a mistake? If it wasn't a mistake can we discuss it here?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Ballistic missile attack on Hawaii Reply with quote

Helfen wrote:
EverettB wrote:
Moderator note:
We were getting into some political comments, they were removed

I didn't happen to see the comments before they were removed so my question to EverettB is; Do you think a political reason for someone doing this can be ruled out?

You can't rule anything out I guess but I would assume it was a mistake or stupidity before starting up with political motivations. Or conspiracy theories.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Ballistic missile attack on Hawaii Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Helfen wrote:
EverettB wrote:
Moderator note:
We were getting into some political comments, they were removed

I didn't happen to see the comments before they were removed so my question to EverettB is; Do you think a political reason for someone doing this can be ruled out?

You can't rule anything out I guess but I would assume it was a mistake or stupidity before starting up with political motivations. Or conspiracy theories.

After reading about the system and how it works it would seem to be infallible unless you were as you say stupid or you wanted to scare a whole lot of people. Why would you want to scare a whole lot of people, and could there be political motivation to scare a whole lot of people? Possibly in my opinion. Remember this warning went on for a considerable amount of time before it was turned off. The system has been in place for decades. Why would you have a stupid person handling something as sensitive as that? Why would you shuffle a stupid person to another job afterwards to do more stupid things? Explanations by the state don't add up.
No conspiracy theory here, just a lot of strange answered questions and unanswered questions and state government actions and corrections that don't add up.
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Ballistic missile attack on Hawaii Reply with quote

Kind of reminds me of the movie Airplane - pitch black night....a moment before landing a damaged jumbo jet and the pilot sees the airstrip lighting..... just beautiful lighting marking the airstrip, gets his bearing...when all of a sudden the lights disappear altogether --- then shows a guy had pulled a plug says .."just kidding". Laughing

Pilot was sweating buckets...literally. That was funny. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Ballistic missile attack on Hawaii Reply with quote

CBS news crew was at the facility a few hours before the incident ( social media pictures are available online ). Operators of similar systems have provided official documents outlining a 2 person, 5 step, procedure before alerts can be discharged ( false alerts can cause panic ). Tour boat 100 miles to the west reported an explosion in the sky shortly before the alert ( no pictures posted, but 20 witnesses ). Maybe more to the story?? There usually is....
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Ballistic missile attack on Hawaii Reply with quote

nsracing wrote:
Kind of reminds me of the movie Airplane - pitch black night....a moment before landing a damaged jumbo jet and the pilot sees the airstrip lighting..... just beautiful lighting marking the airstrip, gets his bearing...when all of a sudden the lights disappear altogether --- then shows a guy had pulled a plug says .."just kidding". Laughing

Pilot was sweating buckets...literally. That was funny. Laughing

The movie was on yesterday. I like the part when after the plane is evacuated the inflatable dummy pilot and his inflatable dummy girlfriend co-pilot take off at the end of the picture. You know the script insulted so many people and groups and even though they were jokes would never be allowed to be made again in todays climate. I love Mrs. Cleaver's jive accent, I expected Beaver to show up, but he never did. I had to make a call to a buddy of mine who is a retired Delta captain while the movie was going on.
I also like Eastwood in Magnum Force when the first officer says " excuse me Captain, but do you know how to fly?" pretend captain Callahan " Nope, never had a lesson" as they are hurtling down the runway at full throttle.
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Ballistic missile attack on Hawaii Reply with quote

You can probably still make movies of those qualities. Laughing

Love Blazing Saddles - I love celebrity roasts -Don Rickles the best.

You cannot make fun of people anymore, cripples or otherwise. Terrible.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Ballistic missile attack on Hawaii Reply with quote

What are you lookin’ at you hockey puck. ?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: