Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

66 father and kids project
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:18 am    Post subject: Re: 66 father and kids project Reply with quote

Make sure everything that gets taken off gets bagged, labeled well, and stored in a safe place. Bugs that get taken apart Willy nilly often never get put back together due to frustration/inability to just find the correct parts and fasteners.

Don't just write on the outside of plastic sandwich bags with a marker. The ink fades over time. Been there, done that. Write on a slip of thick paper and put it in with the parts.

I wish you luck on your project and hope to start my own rebuild with my son once he gains a few years.
Luck5393
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:27 am    Post subject: Re: 66 father and kids project Reply with quote

[quote="Pruneman99]Don't just write on the outside of plastic sandwich bags with a marker. The ink fades over time. Been there, done that. Write on a slip of thick paper and put it in with the parts.[/quote]

Ha I was doing the marker on baggies, thanks for the insight. We are following a plan of attack on this. I have storage tubs that we are also putting pieces in and labeling these according to area that is being worked on (interior, front trunk, exterior, and engine). After the interior is dismantled and boxed then we will move to the front trunk, exterior, and finally the engine. I've been watching a lot of the videos by Cris Vallon, and many other build threads and videos. Thanks for the insight on placing a slip of paper in the baggies though. Sounds like a good project for tomorrow.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:34 am    Post subject: Re: 66 father and kids project Reply with quote

Glad I could save you a headache. It's funny I just went to the box I keep with VW hardware a few weeks ago to get something. It was all labeled in plastic sandwich bags labeled with a sharpie. Opened the box, and the writing was so faded, I ended up looking through them all just to find out I didn't have what I was looking for. The few bags I wrote on some poster stock and put it in the bag were the only ones I knew what they were. Now I use the poster stock always.
Luck5393
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:30 am    Post subject: Re: 66 father and kids project Reply with quote

So between working too much and the weather not being cooperative, my kids and I finally had some time to do a bit of work on the bug. Up to this point we have the interior gutted, rear fenders removed, running boards removed, driver's front fender removed, gas tank removed, bumpers removed and rear apron removed. I have discovered that it was rear ended at one point and fixed with a great deal of body filler. I have also discovered rust in the wheel wells around the heater channels, as well as the rear quarter panels that have been crumpled and straightened. the list of parts is growing. but the kids are having fun. The wife just shakes her head.

oldest son taking tires off for fender removal
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

what the front end looks like now.
Luck5393
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 father and kids project Reply with quote

So between job changes and moving and setting up a shop finally finished deconstruction. This weekend I have a hot water washer rented to veal the chassis (looking back should have done that before taking apart). POR 15 has been ordered and start putting it back together. Original pans look good other than the small dent on left side that I will just pound out.

67_13Deluxe
Samba Resident Alien

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 father and kids project Reply with quote

Those pans dont look to bad at all! If you werent already planning on it, Id get a new pan seal.

56 Beetle - Wilbur. I found a lot of lipstick on this pig so far.
63 Beetle - Luna
66 13 window Bus - Tetanus
71 Bay Window - Lola. Totaled.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: