Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1955 Single Cab Resto
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
55samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: 1955 Single Cab Resto Reply with quote

V-Dub Guy wrote:
55samba wrote:
If you take the u-shaped copper things off by removing the two screws and then stick the tail lights on the bus the rest will fall into place Very Happy (they are the brackets)

Nice bus, looks great!

So would they go on the same as they are mounted in the pic? I tried that and it almost seems the screw isn't long enough. Oh and thanks!

Yes, same as in the photos. You may have to grind the u-shaped bracket ends down or get some longer screes. The gasket will even make it worse.
V-Dub Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: 1955 Single Cab Resto Reply with quote

Been a while since I've posted here so I thought I'd update. Been very busy with life but the warmer weather creeping up on us I've got a bit of renewed spark. Took the motor to Bill Vallis's place (Vallis Motor Sport) for final assembly. What a wealth of knowledge this man has with vintage VW performance. I will update with pics as they become available.

Also gas tank is out for cleaning and powder coating and should be done next week.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Box of parts!!

The boys in Bills shop. This place is VW heaven!!!!!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
V-Dub Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 Single Cab Resto Reply with quote

Ya my wife is awesome!!!!!! Got this for me for our anniversary for the ‘55 single cab!! Seller forgot a few pieces and will be shipping them shortly.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
V-Dub Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 Single Cab Resto Reply with quote

Motor.......DONE!!

62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 Single Cab Resto Reply with quote

V-Dub Guy wrote:
Motor.......DONE!!

Looks like one mean motorscooter! What does that work out to for size (cc's/hp)? Glad to see another one coming together!

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
V-Dub Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 Single Cab Resto Reply with quote

62DoKaGuy wrote:
V-Dub Guy wrote:
Motor.......DONE!!

Looks like one mean motorscooter! What does that work out to for size (cc's/hp)? Glad to see another one coming together!

Thanks!! Come along way so far. As far as HP I’m not 100% sure. There
Was a bit of discussion on this on my other thread. (Below). Not only had the top end done. Had the cam done, heads messaged, larger pistons etc....

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0
V-Dub Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1955 Single Cab Resto Reply with quote

Cleaning up my tags trying to soak them in come Coke a Cola.

Not sure how it will work but if anyone has a better solution I’m all ears!!

These pics are how they look now. Will let them soak for a bit to see if it works

V-Dub Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 Single Cab Resto Reply with quote

So here is an update....... I was not happy with the initial paint job I got done on the truck. The paint was good however when it came to sand/cut/polish, it didn’t take away the deep scratches and it was blown down to the primer in some spots. So I made the decision to completely redo the paint.

With that said I was able to get my gates finally finished and back from the body shop. Very happy how they turned out. Just need a final sand with some 600 to get a few imperfections out.

So now what’s next... Well it’s on its way this coming Tuesday to a reputable classics restoration shop for a complete repaint. Goal is to have it complete this spring.

Will post progress as I go.

Culito

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: 1955 Single Cab Resto Reply with quote

Wow, 5-year project. Looks fabulous.

Question: Where does the Fram filter pull the oil from, and send it back to?
johnnypan wrote:
...dont pay no attention to Culito,he's a cornhole..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
V-Dub Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1955 Single Cab Resto Reply with quote

Culito wrote:

Yes it’s been a long process however very enjoyable!

As for the fram fiilter it’s actually not actually hooked up...just mocked up to look like it is. From everyone I’ve spoke to, including this thread, all they do is collect a bunch of sludge! Lol.
RUSS914
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: 1955 Single Cab Resto Reply with quote

Great Build! Thanks for sharing your build and tricks to get things to work/ fit.

Russ
V-Dub Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: 1955 Single Cab Resto Reply with quote

RUSS914 wrote:
Great Build! Thanks for sharing your build and tricks to get things to work/ fit.

Russ

Thanks a bunch Russ. It’s been a long Resto.....good at times....bad at times but that’s what these projects are all about.
V-Dub Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 Single Cab Resto Reply with quote

Gates are done.

ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: 1955 Single Cab Resto Reply with quote

Culito wrote:

There is a fitting on the oil pressure switch and returns to a drilled and tapped hole on the gen stand. Later motors use a special gen stand stud for the return.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
V-Dub Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 Single Cab Resto Reply with quote

Mmmmmm....Nothing like a newly painted set of pressed bumpers

V-Dub Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 Single Cab Resto Reply with quote

A few shots of the truck fresh out of paint.

V-Dub Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: 1955 Single Cab Resto Reply with quote

Vin tags installed. Still used the original flat head pan screws.

59rusty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: 1955 Single Cab Resto Reply with quote

Are those the results just from soaking in coke? How long did they soak? They and the rest of the bus are looking amazing!!
V-Dub Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1955 Single Cab Resto Reply with quote

59rusty wrote:
Are those the results just from soaking in coke? How long did they soak? They and the rest of the bus are looking amazing!!

No the soaking in Coke really didn’t do much. I used Autosol at first to loosen up the surface rust then I took them to a brass wire wheel.
dms
Fred G. Sanford

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 Single Cab Resto Reply with quote

Wow you sure have done some nice work there, looks amazing. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 7 of 11

Jump to: