Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1963 15 Window resurrection
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 84, 85, 86  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Burlyhammer wrote:
mandraks wrote:
Burlyhammer wrote:
Here is an up close photo of the parcel tray area that meets the floor:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I am still trying to decide how to fix this area to the floor. I need a bunch of pieces repaired in the rear parcel tray area besides the lower flange...

i remember glideking discussing this when he worked on funky truck. look at his thread.

I will check it out. Thanks

I found the video where Kurt joined the floor to the parcel tray. He welded it from the bottom up. That’s what looks like the best way. I need to make a rotisserie one of these days.
Thanks mandraks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

I finished fitting the metal to repair my Y pipe this morning. It was difficult cutting, bending and fitting the piece going onto the tube. I could have just welded a patch over the whole thing, but that wouldn't have been as fun. Once I got the metal fit, I needed to hold it in place to weld. Here is what I came up with:

Aluminum wire and a socket:

I bent the wire around the socket to make the coil the same size as the ID of the pipe.
I crammed the coil into the pipe:

To hold the fitted piece:

It worked out great.

I also cut and fit the piece for the inlet. This was much easier:

I ran out of time this morning. Maybe this evening I can finish it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vwprok37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Nice work man! I think you got lucky with that heater tube Y. When I removed mine it just disintegrated in my hands! I'm also impressed you got all the I beams out! Right on! Is that what we will be working on when I come up Sunday?? Haha!
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Vwprok37 wrote:
Nice work man! I think you got lucky with that heater tube Y. When I removed mine it just disintegrated in my hands! I'm also impressed you got all the I beams out! Right on! Is that what we will be working on when I come up Sunday?? Haha!

I definitely got lucky with the Y Pipe. I think my bank account was feeling sorry for me, and was trying to do me a solid!!! I can't find the long tube. I think it may be stuck in a storage bus frozen to the snow bank. It is supposed to get up to 40 on Friday, so maybe I'll be able to gain access to check.
I did get the I Beams out. I ordered new ones, but haven't heard anything from KlassicFab yet. I don't know if they shipped. Might have to wait until next weekend.
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Wrapped up the y pipe almost. There is a hole in the cap, and 2 small holes on the collector flange. Otherwise, I am happy with the way it turned out:

It is far from perfect, but very usable.
I emailed KlassicFab yesterday asking about my order and they said it was shipped, and gave me a tracking number. This showed up today by itself:

This is an incredibly well made piece. I am wondering why they didn't chuck the other two in the same box. I guess box 2 of 2 will come tomorrow? Still awesome.
After discussing the pros and cons of coatings with my friend yesterday evening, I was convinced that the Master series Mastercoat silver primer is the direction I want to go in for the underside of the bus. I ordered some from Chuck Pisconski out of CT today.

It will be nice to see something (partially) finished. I think I am going to blast and coat the cargo floor I beams, shift tube, floor and cable tubes prior to welding them in. Still not sure how that is going to go.
If I am able to completely finish the Y pipe tomorrow morning, I'm going to open this up and hopefully see that it is savable.

We will see.
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

I welded up my Y cap, and the collector flange this morning, then I decided not to unwrap the front heater tube yet. I had the heater log on the work bench, so I figured I would tackle that first. It needs new feet:

It has a serious rust issue in the feeder tube:

I had another heater log, so I thought about switching them, but evidently they made different sizes:

I think the big one is for a later bus.
I removed the old rusty floor parts and decided I needed to fit in a transplanted tube:

Since I have to remove an entire section, I welded a piece of angle to both sides to hopefully keep it aligned:

The replacement tube for now is an exhaust pipe piece. It is not the same OD. I am thinking I will cut a slot in it to make the OD a little smaller, then weld it back together. It is only off by a little bit, so I may leave it.
I got the rest of my KlassicFab order today. I thought it was strange yesterday that they sent one I Beam by itself when I ordered 3. The box that came today was 2 feet too short. I emailed KlassicFab, and they replied within 5 minutes apologizing, and saying they would ship the other two I Beams immediately. I am bummed, but those guys are still great.
puu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Good to see a split getting lots of love, keep up the good work. I owned a SAMBA Bus and in 1979 I made it from Germany to Essaouira, Moroccoo. Fun days with the sun roof open, but years later I could not effort the restoration to keep up with German car safety check.

Anyway, today I still drive a bus (dark silver anthracite Vanagon 86 tintop, Syncro) and I wonder if this is the right place to ask questions?

I just finished a rust removing job on my roof with 220 grid and there is a mix now of bare metal spots and old primer and paint. I treated the bare metal spots with SEM 39304 Rust-Seal what leaves like a thinn dark coat on the metal.
I do not have a spay gun and compressor and everything has to be done with a roller or brush ( not ideal I know, but no $4000 for a decent paint job).
Now some thoughts give me headaches.

1. use Por 15 or epoxy before color coat?

2. Or use primer first and then two coats of paint?

3. Use truck bed liner for the roof, forgiving if scratches under trees happen?

4. Use white truck bed liner for the roof - way more heat reflective here in Hawaii - but collects dirt!

Any input is highly appreciated, thanks
Puu
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

puu wrote:
Good to see a split getting lots of love, keep up the good work. I owned a SAMBA Bus and in 1979 I made it from Germany to Essaouira, Moroccoo. Fun days with the sun roof open, but years later I could not effort the restoration to keep up with German car safety check.

Anyway, today I still drive a bus (dark silver anthracite Vanagon 86 tintop, Syncro) and I wonder if this is the right place to ask questions?

I just finished a rust removing job on my roof with 220 grid and there is a mix now of bare metal spots and old primer and paint. I treated the bare metal spots with SEM 39304 Rust-Seal what leaves like a thinn dark coat on the metal.
I do not have a spay gun and compressor and everything has to be done with a roller or brush ( not ideal I know, but no $4000 for a decent paint job).
Now some thoughts give me headaches.

1. use Por 15 or epoxy before color coat?

2. Or use primer first and then two coats of paint?

3. Use truck bed liner for the roof, forgiving if scratches under trees happen?

4. Use white truck bed liner for the roof - way more heat reflective here in Hawaii - but collects dirt!

Any input is highly appreciated, thanks
Puu

I am in no way an expert on this or anything for that matter, but I will give you my opinion.
1.Definitely before.
2.Primer after POR 15 or Epoxy then color
3.No reason why you couldn't do this. Some people coat their entire vehicles with this stuff.
4.White would definitely reflect more than absorb.
Good luck with your project. Sounds like you are at the fun part of it!
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Heater pipe info:
Yes, 64-up Buses have a 60mm pipe instead of 50mm

Heater box outlets are increased as well
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
norcalmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:24 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Burlyhammer wrote:
My door arrived from CA this week. I bought it last fall. The seller would not ship it, but agreed to deliver it to my father in law in Oakland. The door has been sitting in his shop until he shipped it to me last week. It is nicer than the rest of the bus. I will need to get the rest of the bus to match.

I still need to line everything up so the doors are square before I chop into the front. I have been stalling a little because I still am not sure exactly how I am going to repair the front frame. I considered replacing the entire front frame section with the other walk thru section I have, or cut pieces from the frame, etc, and patch, or buy the frame sections from Schofields. I think I am going to get the steel for bracing, and get everything square, and hopefully by then, I will have a plan. If anyone has any suggestions, it would be much appriciated.
I started cleaning up the spare walk thru seat base as I think I will need some of it at least. The one in the bus is missing alot.

WOW! What a project. Im glad the door finally made it to you.
I will be following this build!

Last edited by norcalmike on Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:12 am; edited 1 time in total
AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:34 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Coming together nicely! Keep these updates coming, they’re very educational
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Heater pipe info:
Yes, 64-up Buses have a 60mm pipe instead of 50mm

Heater box outlets are increased as well

Everett,
I appreciate the clarification. I assume the increased size (10mm) is to handle all of that extra heat. Maybe I should have fixed the big one.
Thanks
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

WOW! What a project. Im glad the door finally made it to you.
I will be following this build![/quote]
Mike,
This door is awesome and definitely makes the bus complete. It matches so well, if I didn't know better, I would have thought it was the OG door. Thanks again for going out of your way to bring it to my father in law. I don't know if I would have ever ended up with another one that matched as well.
Thanks again,
Dave
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

I finished repairing the tube on the heat log this morning. After realizing that I would not be able to handle having a step on the tube, I cut it and welded it back to reduce the diameter to match the OG tube:

Got it to fit :

Welded and ground:

This is what I removed:

Next on the agenda will be fixing/replacing the feet on the heat log.
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

I finished the heat log this morning. I ended up making one foot and splicing the other one together. I wanted to use one piece of metal for the foot I had to make, but I ended up using two pieces.

I was happy with it.
I spliced the other side since it was in much better shape:

There is a small dent in the log, but I will bang it out before I clean it up.

I took the jacket off the other pieces I had:

I was hoping that these pieces would be nicer. Oh well. I have a cargo floor tube lined up. Im going to see what I can find for the other three pieces. The two jackets that I have are definitely usable. I need to get them cleaned up though. I am not sure how much material is missing from the ends. I thought about using some sort of wrap to make up the difference.
We shall see.
Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Dang that door is perfect! The heater pipe is turning out real nice.
1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
1960 Lt Grey Double Cab SMZ LEGIT
1963 Deluxe Turkis Walk Thru 15 Window OG Paint
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Skim wrote:

Thanks Tony. It’s funny how much time and effort it takes for the smallest details, but well worth it in the end, I think.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Burlyhammer wrote:
Skim wrote:

Thanks Tony. It’s funny how much time and effort it takes for the smallest details, but well worth it in the end, I think.

True that. Keep up the good work.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

I started working on the passenger side wheel well this morning. There was not alot of metal for reference, but just enough to get the idea:

I cut out the rust, made a template, and fabbed a patch panel. This took me a while, but I am happy with the fit:

I cut tabs in the bent flange, and welded them up once I had my fit. It is now primered. I'm going to try and get it in tomorrow morning before work.
I finished grinding off what was left of the floor to the parcel tray too:

I wanted to put the floor in so I could see what needed to be done where the heat tubes pass through the floor. I was wondering what I would need to do to repair the lip of the parcel tray. There is not much from what I am seeing, so I think I will fit the metal in after the floor is in. I still have a ways to go, so that may change.
I plan to fix the wheel well on the drivers side once I finish the passenger side:

When I was measuring both sides, I noticed the inner wheel well panels are the same on both sides:

The panel is stamped out on one side, and stamped in on the other side. I thought that was very interesting. It's kind of messing with my OCD, but I'm going to let it be...
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

I got 1/2 of the passenger side wheel well piece welded in this morning:

I still need to weld it to the rockers, and I need to make the piece on the inside that meets up with the parcel tray.
I showed up to work this morning, and my shift rod tube was waiting for me. WW also sent me a boat load of peanuts. I am still waiting for the two missing KF I beams and the Mastercraft primer, then I can start putting the cargo area back together, and then finish the cargo rocker.
I'm thinking that I should finish welding the short rocker too.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 84, 85, 86  Next
Jump to:
Page 20 of 86

Jump to: