Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

36 DRLA float level settings
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:11 pm    Post subject: 36 DRLA float level settings Reply with quote

So I recently purchased a set of what was advertised as 40 Dellorto DRLA carbs.
I picked them up after dark and could not see the model stamped into the body of the carbs.
When I got them home and did a little closer inspection. I found them to be 36 DRLA not 40. Honestly, I was kinda delighted at this discovery.

I have over the last few days, taken them apart and cleaned them as best I can. They still look like hell, as they are corroded on the exterior and the float bowls are a little rough as well. But they are as clean as I can get them. For the time being.

I'm not looking for advice as to who should clean and refurbish these carbs. That's already been hashed out in my engine build thread.

I'm at the reassembly stage and am currently stuck on setting the float levels.
I searched here and came up bupkis on float levels for these carbs.
I know I have read somewhere here that the floats should be set at 6mm high and 24mm low. <<< seems kinda low.
Does this sound correct? If not please set me straight.
I'd like to go to bed tonight with at least one of the set reassembled.

Thank you in advance for any help getting the floats set correctly.

Semi Hemi cut heads
118 Webcam
1 3/8 CB header.
010 distributor
Stock 67 transmission gearing
If any of the above makes a difference in the advice offered.

Have a great week.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
HBRag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 36 DRLA float level settings Reply with quote

DRLA spec is 5-6mm closed, and 12-13mm open. I use a 7/32” Allen wrench on top of the gasket to set close. That will set you at 5.5 mm, right in the middle of the range.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 36 DRLA float level settings Reply with quote

If the float drop is set too low the float may hang up in the bowl to where you can't take off the top.....solution.....hold it upside-down to take off the top.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 36 DRLA float level settings Reply with quote

You can use a dipstick to stick through the hole in the top if you punch a hole in the top gasket there.

You will find gas standing in the bowl at a depth of 24-28mm using a digital caliper stick.
Check that they measure about the same several times in a row. Make sure they regulate the level well. Also, make sure that after being parked for a couple days they aren't going down much. The gas will evaporate though if the engine was hot so test this without running the engine much.
How to set the float:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: