Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Beetle engine opportunity
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:24 am    Post subject: Beetle engine opportunity Reply with quote

My mechanic has a Beetle 60's-70's with the funky bumpers, square with black rubber in center. It may be going to the crusher this week and I'm thinking I should get some parts as a back up like the engine. What else should I get while turning some wrenches for my 67 bus?

Would the transmission be the same as my bus? The Beetle is owned by the mechanic's neighbor and I can get the full info on the engine from him before I put a lot of energy or money into this.

Perhaps this is an opportunity for me to learn more about the air-cooled engine and rebuild it as a back up for the future. Wink I should be able to move the engine with a 4x4, 2 straps, 2 people right?
www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle engine opportunity Reply with quote

If the bug is free/ cheap, definitely grab the motor if it is running or a good core. Late case with doghouse? Smile Two people can carry the motor, though usually I use a jack to roll it as close to the vehicle as possible. Weighs a little over 200 lbs. Hold it by the heater boxes.

The square bumpers generally mean 68 or later. The trans can be used in a bus if 68 (lowering guys like them, the center section is the same as bus). 69 is IRS so not so much. Kind of hard to say. If you have space, grab the whole car. (paperwork?) If you don't want extra parts/junky cars laying around, skip the whole thing. I have a 69 beetle and it's the best year. I bet it's rusty if cheap on the east coast. The voltage regulator is under the back seat.
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle engine opportunity Reply with quote

Snag the wiring harness, spare correctly colored wire is always handy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Harleyelf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle engine opportunity Reply with quote

Beetle engine will fit fine in your '67. If the crank turns smoothly and you cannot make the belt pulley move in and out with your hands, a new set of AA pistons/cylinders and a pair of new Chinese 043 heads will make it into your backup motor. I try to always keep a running motor on hand for emergencies.
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle engine opportunity Reply with quote

i would get the motor. tranny perhaps since that is more work

don't take the exhaust off, you will need it to wiggle the engine out Smile

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Harleyelf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle engine opportunity Reply with quote

Does it have solid axle tubes or CV joints and open axles? You use early trans in your bus, much work to remove (the axle tubes are full of 90W). I use IRS trans in my '66, would love to have a spare in the garage but don't want to deal with shipping.

Any emblems or badges will be an easy sale on ebay.
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle engine opportunity Reply with quote

Super nice details as always Clara.

Bad news it's not for sale but I will keep at it because it has some hidden rust under all that newer paint and I suspect once on the lift it will not be pretty. It has a 78 VW vanity plate so upon look up it may be a 78. Still good for my bus right? I will keep at it. Wow they are only 200lbs? Great!

Clara wrote:
If the bug is free/ cheap, definitely grab the motor if it is running or a good core. Late case with doghouse? Smile Two people can carry the motor, though usually I use a jack to roll it as close to the vehicle as possible. Weighs a little over 200 lbs. Hold it by the heater boxes.

The square bumpers generally mean 68 or later. The trans can be used in a bus if 68 (lowering guys like them, the center section is the same as bus). 69 is IRS so not so much. Kind of hard to say. If you have space, grab the whole car. (paperwork?) If you don't want extra parts/junky cars laying around, skip the whole thing. I have a 69 beetle and it's the best year. I bet it's rusty if cheap on the east coast. The voltage regulator is under the back seat.

www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
orangebug60guy
Twin #1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle engine opportunity Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:

Bad news it's not for sale but I will keep at it because it has some hidden rust under all that newer paint and I suspect once on the lift it will not be pretty. It has a 78 VW vanity plate so upon look up it may be a 78. Still good for my bus right? I will keep at it. Wow they are only 200lbs? Great!

Clara wrote:

It probably has an AE motor then. Just a guess don't hold me to it. Which you could make a single port for your bus with new heads. Or keep the dual port heads and run it as is. Big motors in buses rock! Even stock bug engines as long as they have the right carb and exhaust. Don't be afraid to run it!

FYI, teaching STEM or Tech Ed is where its at.
....That's what I do.

Buy all the cheap/free stuff you can just like hoarding supplies for teaching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle engine opportunity Reply with quote

orangebug60guy wrote:
LAGrunthaner wrote:

Clara wrote:

It probably has an AE motor then. Just a guess don't hold me to it. Which you could make a single port for your bus with new heads. Or keep the dual port heads and run it as is. Big motors in buses rock! Even stock bug engines as long as they have the right carb and exhaust. Don't be afraid to run it!

....That's what I do.

Late bug cases is where it is at. Very Happy
Maybe 225 or 250lbs all in. And it pushes two tons of bus and gear around. pretty cool!
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle engine opportunity Reply with quote

An AE case is an early 70's case 71-73.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:59 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle engine opportunity Reply with quote

Clara that statement is amazing. I might have to locate a spare that I can use as a shrine LOL.

"Late bug cases is where it is at. Very Happy
Maybe 225 or 250lbs all in. And it pushes two tons of bus and gear around. pretty cool!"

What would be a nice late model engine to keep handy now that this one is not available? I will assume the earliest Bug engine will also push a bus.

Clara wrote:
orangebug60guy wrote:
LAGrunthaner wrote:

Clara wrote:

....That's what I do.

Late bug cases is where it is at. Very Happy
Maybe 225 or 250lbs all in. And it pushes two tons of bus and gear around. pretty cool!

www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle engine opportunity Reply with quote

I think starting with the AE case (or around that time) the oil galleys got bigger and are all dual relief. those are big plusses especially in a bus.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:02 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle engine opportunity Reply with quote

Back to school, what is an AE engine?

crofty wrote:
I think starting with the AE case (or around that time) the oil galleys got bigger and are all dual relief. those are big plusses especially in a bus.

www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
orangebug60guy
Twin #1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle engine opportunity Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:

crofty wrote:

Beetle engine data https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/engine_letters.php
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle engine opportunity Reply with quote

1500 engines were built on an alloy that is not as good as the later alloy. Later cases have the larger, oil passages. Dual relief, which is better oiling. I think 68-70 bus cases have the better oil passages, but are still the earlier alloy. IIRC 71 buses (and later 1600 buses) have the better alloy, better oiling. Evidently the factory installed cases savers a little later and that is better. Of course the doghouse is better, which is 71 bus, and later bug.

You can put many miles on a sixties case, but there were improvements, and if you are starting from scratch, and are not attached to a certain case such as the original to the car, I'd go with the better alloy.

That said, I've rocked earlier cases as well. Greg has the tooling to cut cam bearings into the early cases, we've run those. I think if you overheat, the earlier alloy has a lower tolerance for issues. They don't hold up to abuse as well.
I found running the doghouse and all the tin and parts VW says to be on there, it is not likely to overheat.

Of the cases I've found that were warped, or studs pulling out, they tended to be the the early alloy.

Don't put it on a shelf to adore, build it so you can put it in the bus and go camping! Very Happy
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle engine opportunity Reply with quote

You might get a flat pull wagon with inflatable tires to set it on. An engine can become an albatros if you are the only one.
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle engine opportunity Reply with quote

orangebug60guy wrote:
LAGrunthaner wrote:

crofty wrote:

Beetle engine data https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/engine_letters.php

Thanks for the link orangebug60guy, I'm looking at my bus engine which is out of a Super Beetle.

My engine is a duel port AD 47176.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I always appreciate the detailed explanations you write Clara. My Super Beetle engine in my bus AD 47176 appears to be a 1600cc 50bhp DIN, 60HP SAE-gross USA-only, according to the link above. Why is that listed under Type 2 as my engine came out of a Type 1 (beetle). My engine runs great glad to know better alloy and oiling for cooling but I need to install heater boxes and stock muffler & all the tin. I'll keep my 1600 DP but if the other one comes my way I will scoop it up especially if it is free.

Clara wrote:
1500 engines were built on an alloy that is not as good as the later alloy. Later cases have the larger, oil passages. Dual relief, which is better oiling. I think 68-70 bus cases have the better oil passages, but are still the earlier alloy. IIRC 71 buses (and later 1600 buses) have the better alloy, better oiling. Evidently the factory installed cases savers a little later and that is better. Of course the doghouse is better, which is 71 bus, and later bug.

You can put many miles on a sixties case, but there were improvements, and if you are starting from scratch, and are not attached to a certain case such as the original to the car, I'd go with the better alloy.

That said, I've rocked earlier cases as well. Greg has the tooling to cut cam bearings into the early cases, we've run those. I think if you overheat, the earlier alloy has a lower tolerance for issues. They don't hold up to abuse as well.
I found running the doghouse and all the tin and parts VW says to be on there, it is not likely to overheat.

Of the cases I've found that were warped, or studs pulling out, they tended to be the the early alloy.

Don't put it on a shelf to adore, build it so you can put it in the bus and go camping! Very Happy

www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: