Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gearbox differential swap - bearing preload w/o removing pinion?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:36 pm    Post subject: Gearbox differential swap - bearing preload w/o removing pinion? Reply with quote

Okay, so here is the scenario: I have a brand new, 0 miles (new VW, never rebuilt) gearbox that I would like to put my Peloquin diff into. I need to swap the ring gear and bearings from the new gearbox's differential onto the Peloquin differential and set the bearing preload and gear backlash.

My questions is - is there a way to set the differential bearing preload with the pinion gear in place or does the gearbox need to be torn down to remove the pinion before setting the differential bearing preload? Obviously the differential bearings are brand new so the preload is supposed to be set at 27-31 in lb. Obviously there is some amount of "drag" from the pinion through the rest of the gearbox that must be accounted for somehow, but maybe it's not possible to do what I want to do without removing the pinion.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Gearbox differential swap - bearing preload w/o removing pinion? Reply with quote

Why do you want to change the Pinion bearing preload? Just to verify what the factory did or you just like cans of worms? I would be more concerned with contact pattern and backlash.

J
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Gearbox differential swap - bearing preload w/o removing pinion? Reply with quote

I definitely don't want to mess with the pinion at all if I don't have to. That's pretty much what I am asking. But I do have to set the bearing preload for the new differential and differential bearings. Since the differential bearing preload is determined by measuring the amount of "drag" on the bearings while rotating the differential, the differential bearing preload is normally measured before the pinion is in place to eliminate the additional drag/resistance from the pinion. So what I am asking is; is there a way to set the differential bearing preload with the pinion in place.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Gearbox differential swap - bearing preload w/o removing pinion? Reply with quote

You pretty much have to start by assembling it and verify the contact pattern. Which was set for the R&P you HAVE, right. If it's OK you're done, right?

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb

Last edited by Sodo on Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Gearbox differential swap - bearing preload w/o removing pinion? Reply with quote

Sorry, I misinterpreted, you could test it, pre tear down for the torque load needed to rotate the entire assembly, then shoot for that target with the peloquin installed. The wear pattern is the important part in my book.
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Gearbox differential swap - bearing preload w/o removing pinion? Reply with quote

Thanks! Yes, getting the backlash and contact pattern correct are very important and I didn't mean to imply that they aren't. I have that covered and I'm not concerned about getting that part correct. I was simply concerned about setting the differential bearing bearing preload. Checking the total preload of the new assembly prior to tear down seems reasonable.

Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Gearbox differential swap - bearing preload w/o removing pinion? Reply with quote

Christopher Schimke wrote:
Thanks! Yes, getting the backlash and contact pattern correct are very important and I didn't mean to imply that they aren't. I have that covered and I'm not concerned about getting that part correct. I was simply concerned about setting the differential bearing bearing preload. Checking the total preload of the new assembly prior to tear down seems reasonable.

The new Peloquin diff will need to be adjusted left and right and backlash by the carrier side adjusters. But it's center is the same center as the old diff, and it will place the original ring gear with its original pinion in the same place as before.

The pinion bearing preload does not change unless you removed the pinion bearing and change the shim, which you are not going to do, right. If you check the contact pattern (that was set at the factory on this new zero mile trans) and don't like it, well then you're in for complete disassembly. But how likely is that?

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Gearbox differential swap - bearing preload w/o removing pinion? Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
Christopher Schimke wrote:

The new Peloquin diff will need to be adjusted left and right and backlash by the carrier side adjusters. But it's center is the same center as the old diff, and it will place the original ring gear with its original pinion in the same place as before.

The pinion bearing preload does not change unless you removed the pinion bearing and change the shim, which you are not going to do, right. If you check the contact pattern (that was set at the factory on this new zero mile trans) and don't like it, well then you're in for complete disassembly. But how likely is that?

Right! But there is a preload spec for the differential bearings too. In the manual, the sequence calls for this to be set prior to the pinion installation. Having the additional drag of the pinion will throw off the specs for the measured drag/resistance on the differential. What i am trying to determine is if it is feasible to properly set the preload on the differential bearings with the pinion already installed.

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Gearbox differential swap - bearing preload w/o removing pinion? Reply with quote

Gears posted how to do this maybe 1 1/2 - 2 weeks back. You set the bearings to zero preload and then turn the one ring in another predetermined number of degrees. You then turn both rings in the same direction the exact same amount to set the backlash.
McRae
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Gearbox differential swap - bearing preload w/o removing pinion? Reply with quote

Yes, you can do exactly what you are proposing. Record total bearing preload before taking it apart and then come back to the same with the new differential mounted. It's not "proper" procedure obviously but it works, done it plenty of times on highly stressed Porsche gearboxes with no issues.

Use a sweep dial torque wrench though, not a click type, those are too inconsistent for this kind of work.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Gearbox differential swap - bearing preload w/o removing pinion? Reply with quote

Here is Gears instructions on setting the preload.

Quote:
It's always wise to replace diff bearings when installing a new differential. This makes setting preload a snap. From the point of zero preload, each side adjuster is tightened 1.26" (arc) to attain .006" preload on the taper roller bearing. This is done with the O-rings removed in order to feel the point of zero preload. The adjusters are marked when the preloaded position is found.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8641767&highlight=bearing+preload#8641767
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: Gearbox differential swap - bearing preload w/o removing pinion? Reply with quote

Christopher, set the bearing preload with the ring gear removed. Mark your rings, backoff so you can remove the carrier, install ring gear, and reinstall carrier. Turn rings back to where you marked them earlier. Backlash is the set turning the rings equal amounts. This maintains bearing preload.
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Gearbox differential swap - bearing preload w/o removing pinion? Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
Christopher, set the bearing preload with the ring gear removed. Mark your rings, backoff so you can remove the carrier, install ring gear, and reinstall carrier. Turn rings back to where you marked them earlier. Backlash is the set turning the rings equal amounts. This maintains bearing preload.

+1
Just got into my mind when I realized that you wrote it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: