Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

4 barrel carb/Fuel Injection conversion/Questions
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
flyboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: 4 barrel carb/Fuel Injection conversion/Questions Reply with quote

vwkirb wrote:
The whole thing about ITB or IDFs is that you can run a more aggressive cam.

Otherwise... the works already been done for the most part:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=519841

Get those injectors near the heads or you might as well be running a carb!

On this setup, what EFI system controls it. I assume it has an aftermarket EFI using the beetle manifold and TB?
Thanks
Porsche 914
09 Z06 Vette track car
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
flyboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: 4 barrel carb/Fuel Injection conversion/Questions Reply with quote

I see this manifold allows one barrel to feed both sides and the other feeds the other two cylinders on opposite sides. Does this take care of the inversion problem?

http://www.headflowmasters.com/the-cheater-single-carburetor-vw-manifold.html#.WmTQC66nH3i
Porsche 914
09 Z06 Vette track car
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: 4 barrel carb/Fuel Injection conversion/Questions Reply with quote

flyboat wrote:
The manifold would be set up so one side is fed by one barrel and the other side uses the other barrel.

Sounds like a dumbed down ITB setup, with the only benefit as less cost due to half the TB's. I suppose it'll be unique.
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: 4 barrel carb/Fuel Injection conversion/Questions Reply with quote

flyboat wrote:
vwkirb wrote:
The whole thing about ITB or IDFs is that you can run a more aggressive cam.

Otherwise... the works already been done for the most part:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=519841

Get those injectors near the heads or you might as well be running a carb!

On this setup, what EFI system controls it. I assume it has an aftermarket EFI using the beetle manifold and TB?
Thanks

That looks like a MS wire harness hanging there. The plug on the TB looks like an IAT sensor. And the 3 pin black plug is the TPS sensor.
flyboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: 4 barrel carb/Fuel Injection conversion/Questions Reply with quote

How do you think the above intake manifold would work if I ran the intake tubes up to a collector (header collector) and sat the TB on that. I'm trying to come up with a way to get the best flow with the least restrictions. I know I can get header collectors down to a fairly low diameter for the small tubes
Thanks
Roger
Porsche 914
09 Z06 Vette track car
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: 4 barrel carb/Fuel Injection conversion/Questions Reply with quote

I think packaging will be you're biggest challenge if you are trying to stay with a center mount TB. Depending upon your goals for this motor, you'll have to decide if a single or dual TB's are going to meet them.
flyboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: 4 barrel carb/Fuel Injection conversion/Questions Reply with quote

ps2375 wrote:
I think packaging will be you're biggest challenge if you are trying to stay with a center mount TB. Depending upon your goals for this motor, you'll have to decide if a single or dual TB's are going to meet them.

I agree. If the collector idea works, I'll go with a single throttle body but it will be a large one like 90 mm and injectors will be at the heads

Based on my research so far, it looks like it's gonna be Mega Squirt. I found another nice DIY system but it was expensive.

Cheers
Porsche 914
09 Z06 Vette track car
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: 4 barrel carb/Fuel Injection conversion/Questions Reply with quote

If going center mount, Id go for a single bore throttle body. no need for dual bore if your centermounted.

Good Luck, no matter how you fuel it! Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
flyboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: 4 barrel carb/Fuel Injection conversion/Questions Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me what injectors work best with the Mega Squirt system.

On my track car, the PCU only likes Bosch. Others work but it's hard to tune.
Porsche 914
09 Z06 Vette track car
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: 4 barrel carb/Fuel Injection conversion/Questions Reply with quote

I have always found that a progressive 2 butterfly TB gives the best throttle control and drive-ability. A large single TB is more on/off and a smaller single TB may be a bit of a bottle neck if it gives good control at lower throttle openings. Again, a choice the builder will need to determine.
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 4 barrel carb/Fuel Injection conversion/Questions Reply with quote

Flyboat,

I don't think you mentioned it, but what type of cam are you planning for this engine? It could make a big impact on what style you choose.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 4 barrel carb/Fuel Injection conversion/Questions Reply with quote

Multi69s wrote:
Flyboat,

I don't think you mentioned it, but what type of cam are you planning for this engine? It could make a big impact on what style you choose.

Not as much as you would think, I had a fairly big cam in my Rabbit, and on MS you could hardly tell at idle, totally the opposite from when it was on CIS.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 4 barrel carb/Fuel Injection conversion/Questions Reply with quote

Here is another throttle body option you may want to look into....
Quote:
a progressive Weber center section (SCAT, Bugpack or Redline/Weber), topped by an early 90's VW 16V Passat progressive throttle body which has a built-in TPS, and mildly ported CB FI end castings

This came from : http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=139756

The mounting holes are a perfect match to the progressive carb intake flange. Like the progressive Weber, the small progressive tb primary throttle plate gives you the responsiveness of a smaller individual throttle plates and then when the secondary opens you get the large volume of airflow that you want for higher rpms.

The challenge may be how to mount an air cleaner to the odd shaped opening.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:23 am    Post subject: Re: 4 barrel carb/Fuel Injection conversion/Questions Reply with quote

ps2375 wrote:
Multi69s wrote:
Flyboat,

Not as much as you would think, I had a fairly big cam in my Rabbit, and on MS you could hardly tell at idle, totally the opposite from when it was on CIS.

However there is a huge difference between a T1 and a rabbit. I think that the runner length is considerably different.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: 4 barrel carb/Fuel Injection conversion/Questions Reply with quote

Multi69s wrote:
ps2375 wrote:
Multi69s wrote:
Flyboat,

However there is a huge difference between a T1 and a rabbit. I think that the runner length is considerably different.

Very much so, but the MS is MAP based(in Speed/Density mode) and overlap has little effect on idle, unlike how the flap is effected by the overlap pulses on a CIS system. It may have less vacuum at idle,but that is easily tuned for in MS.
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: 4 barrel carb/Fuel Injection conversion/Questions Reply with quote

ashman40 wrote:
Quote:
a progressive Weber center section (SCAT, Bugpack or Redline/Weber), topped by an early 90's VW 16V Passat progressive throttle body which has a built-in TPS, and mildly ported CB FI end castings

An Automatic 16V Passat only. They are getting harder to find in some areas due to the built in TPS.
flyboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 4 barrel carb/Fuel Injection conversion/Questions Reply with quote

Multi69s wrote:
Flyboat,

I call it a torquer cam. It was in one of my other engines and it is a low rpm cam with tremendous torque. lift with a 1.4 rocker is .590. I forget all teh other specs
Porsche 914
09 Z06 Vette track car
flyboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 4 barrel carb/Fuel Injection conversion/Questions Reply with quote

ashman40 wrote:
Quote:

The mounting holes are a perfect match to the progressive carb intake flange. Like the progressive Weber, the small progressive tb primary throttle plate gives you the responsiveness of a smaller individual throttle plates and then when the secondary opens you get the large volume of airflow that you want for higher rpms.

The challenge may be how to mount an air cleaner to the odd shaped opening.

Interesting, thanks
Porsche 914
09 Z06 Vette track car
flyboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 4 barrel carb/Fuel Injection conversion/Questions Reply with quote

So far, this is what I'm thinking. CB Performance high flow injection end castings, progressive throttle body like pictured in the thread. Progressive style intake but one I make that smooths out the flow. Then megasquirt to control it all. Not sure on the injectors yet but leaning to the bosch 42lb from the chevy LS 7

I did see a system similar to this today but can't remember where I saw it. It had a single barrel throttle body

All your thoughts or criticism is very welcome
Porsche 914
09 Z06 Vette track car
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: