Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Can anyone identify this?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Can anyone identify this? Reply with quote

Millions of brand new Bug purchasers checked the option box at the dealership for either manual or auto transmissions, without ever driving the type they did not choose. The gall of them all, forming a choice without even trying the other option. Wink Wink Wink

These millions of people cant be trusted, they are shifty Laughing

Bug On! No matter if your left leg is in use or not.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
hotsam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Can anyone identify this? Reply with quote

Jeez, who cares. Is someone ovulating?
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Can anyone identify this? Reply with quote

Blue, the world was different back then. When I bought my first VW in 1969, I had never heard of an autostick. I simply went to the dealer with my mother, picked out a new Karmann Ghia (with manual transmission) and that was that. I had to wait a few weeks because they didn’t have the color I wanted on the lot. Besides, I don’t remember the salesman mentioning that they had an autostick.

The vast majority of the driving public back in the day knew how to drive a manual. Even driver ed. courses in high school still taught in cars that were manuals—although they eventually switched over to automatics. Everyone could drive a manual.

Automatics were more expensive in all makes, including the VW. One of the primary reasons for buying a VW was cost. We certainly didn’t want to increase the cost, except unless it was $25.00 for the radio. Although, many decided to buy without a radio. It was still a sort of luxury back then.

Today’s buyer wants all the new gadgets. You can’t compare them to the buyer of days gone by. Today, the manual is is in the minority. Most new cars are automatics—just the opposite compared to back in the day.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Can anyone identify this? Reply with quote

Buyers in 1970 had plenty of knowledge for how these manual cars faired after 50, 100, even 200,000 miles. Customers, along with the entire dealership network at the time, had far less experience and data on how an autostick would last and simply how much it would cost down the road, etc.
Even these days it's smart to delay a new car purchase within its first year of manufacture- this is not a new thing.

Further, buyers of "foreign jobs" back in the day regularly counted on them being stick shift cars- and autos of all brands were slower and less economical. The perception that VW's autostick would be slower on an already relatively slow-ish car could not have helped.

Do I like how autostick bugs drive, yes (same goes for type IVs). Would I own one, yes if the whole car was in super shape. Would I search out one for my collection, no. Autos aren't my thing.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Can anyone identify this? Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
Buyers in 1970 had plenty of knowledge for how these manual cars faired after 50, 100, even 200,000 miles. Customers, along with the entire dealership network at the time, had far less experience and data on how an autostick would last and simply how much it would cost down the road, etc.
Even these days it's smart to delay a new car purchase within its first year of manufacture- this is not a new thing.

Further, buyers of "foreign jobs" back in the day regularly counted on them being stick shift cars- and autos of all brands were slower and less economical. The perception that VW's autostick would be slower on an already relatively slow-ish car could not have helped.

Do I like how autostick bugs drive, yes (same goes for type IVs). Would I own one, yes if the whole car was in super shape. Would I search out one for my collection, no. Autos aren't my thing.

Of course VW by then had a solid reputation for good engineering, long lasting products, and an excellent dealer parts and service network should something go broken. I would think a
major concern of consumers that the new autostick would be a troublesome system would be rare, even in its first year of production.

It is good stick shifting is becoming a lost art. Cuts down on Bug theft. Even an autostick would confuse the average car thief, a stick shift just forget about it. Heck they would not even know what to do with the key if they had it. Thank God most thieves are idiots.

Keep Bugging!

PS I like the idea of a 50s or 60s Bug that had an hand operated clutch, worked off a shift handle switch, operated a vacuum servo to disengage the clutch, then the standard transmission could be shifted. Good for people with leg injury was the general idea behind this system.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p?t=598275

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Can anyone identify this? Reply with quote

And, again, it's not about liking or disliking an autostick. It's about calling one a dealbreaker when you've never EVER had ANY experience with one whatsoever. My FIRSTHAND experience with an autsotick, for the past 30 years, learning to drive on one, gives me the right to form an opinion that it's nowhere near as bad as some fools have tried to make it out to be. But when the OP has to ask what a part is, that's directly related to the autostick, that tells me he has zero expeience with one whatosever, and therefore his comment that one is a dealbreaker is uninformed, ignorant, and simply conforms to other's demands that he hate the autostick as well.

It's basically the same thing as being a racist.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
DonovanJM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Can anyone identify this? Reply with quote

I'm still trying to understand where in the O's post he insulted the autostick. He never said one thing negative about it. He said he doesn't want a car with one because he likes to shift. Which is a bit ignorant because you do shift an autostick but obviously it's not the same.
DonovanJM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Can anyone identify this? Reply with quote

I'm still trying to understand where in the O's post he insulted the autostick. He never said one thing negative about it. He said he doesn't want a car with one because he likes to shift. Which is a bit ignorant because you do shift an autostick but obviously it's not the same.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Can anyone identify this? Reply with quote

if one is a racist for not wanting an AutoStick as mentioned prior, What is a person who does not want a car because of the color of its paint? Do we judge a Bug by the color of its paint anymore than the content of their gear box? This is heavy thinking. Wink Wink Wink Wink

Bug On no matter how you gear up.

hotsam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Can anyone identify this? Reply with quote

Arguing on the internet isn't worth it.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Can anyone identify this? Reply with quote

hotsam wrote:
Arguing on the internet isn't worth it.

I disagree. Razz

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Can anyone identify this? Reply with quote

is it politically incorrect to say that one owns a black car? Question Question Question

Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Can anyone identify this? Reply with quote

Did I mention that I’ve also owned an automatic bus with air-conditioning, as well as a Type IV fully automatic (no a/c). These, like every other VW I’ve owned (except for my current bug), were merely a means of transportation. We considered the fact that they were automatics a plus.

Today, we own Honda automatics, as well as my manual bug.

I must admit, the bug is fun to drive. The shifting is a part of it, as well as the noise and the historical nostalgia. The fun is hard to explain to my wife who enjoys our new Honda Civic, but she barely condescends to get into the bug; although, when we go on a run or bug show, she’s a good sport about it. However, her right hand is usually clamped solidly on the “oh, shit” handle as we putt along. Kind of funny, really: the first car she ever drove was a bug (autostick), but the third was a Karmann Ghia, which was a manual. Go figure.

I guess she’s moved on in time, and I’m still stuck in the past.

Back to the subject: I wouldn’t mind owning an autostick Bug, or another automatic bus. But I’m keeping my manual bug ....

Tim

Richard O'Brien
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Can anyone identify this? Reply with quote

I like both auto&std shift trans,I havent driven a vw autostuck before so im not up on them. our drag cars were lenco or manual shifted auto's, it's all fun...but...getten older and wanting more hp in my vw, not racing any more.... I sure would like a 5 or 6 speed automatic..... Shocked if it hits hard enough and shifts when I tell it to Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: