Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 42, 43, 44 ... 126, 127, 128  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ron G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Hmmm, I will go out there in the garage and see

Thank you
Ron G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Once you showed me that picture I went to check it out on my door, I can see on the bracket that I have that it was bolted at both ends, I tried the line it up on every single bolt hole or hole on my door panel and the bracket is longer than any of the holes even to the bolt to the door handle, I’m gonna have to do some more checking.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Can you post a picture of your door panel, front and back?

Heres a pic that I have drawn where that steel brace goes on the back side of the door card, attached with the two bolts that hold the door pull on. That brace then engages the steel inner door like in my yellow bug door picture.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile

Last edited by VW_Jimbo on Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ron G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Like this?
Maddel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:21 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
... that steel brace goes on the back side of the door card, attached with the two bolts that hold the door pull ...

May be this helps...

Ron G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Madden, you’re awesome thank you very much for the photo now it makes sense, imagine that fits like a glove again thank you very much. When I got this car it was in boxes the only thing big enough to bring home was the body and the Pan I was told every single part was in these boxes. And never built a super before I’m finding out when I’m buying parts it says 1971 beetle and then I get the parts and they don’t work on a 1971 super beetle, I learned that lesson already now I have a box of unusable parts for me. But when someone says get this out of my yard it’s yours well I took it So I’m sure they’ll be a few more questions and I want to thank everyone on the Sanba for all their help
Ron G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

[quote="VW_Jimbo"]Can you post a picture of your door panel, front and back?

Heres a pic that I have drawn where that steel brace goes on the back side of the door card, attached with the two bolts that hold the door pull on. That brace then engages the steel inner door like in my yellow bug door picture.

[/quote

Jumbo, I guess Just misunderstood. Now that I go back to the original post I know exactly what we’re talking about now, thanks for all the pictures appreciate it like they say a picture is worth 1000 words thanks again Jimbo I really do appreciate it
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Hey Ron,

You are welcome! I went back through all of my builds over the past 30 years and was shocked that I had never taken a picture of the back side of a door panel! I have pictures of just about every other detail, but that one item.

Have fun with the Bug. If you get stumped again or need help, I am always around. I check into tS at different points in the day.

Have fun and take lots of pictures!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Ron G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Well thank you Jimbo, the car sat for about six or seven months of not doing anything as my wife passed away from cancer four months ago , so I am slowly getting back out in the garage and working on it to try to keep me busy, I am having a blast working on this thing and it’s going to be a nice little cruiser when I’m done. I have built about six hot rods and never a complete VW so I am learning How VW did things and still having fun. Also a picture of the last hot rod I built.

deddleman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I recently bought a VW Beetle on impulse from a dealer in GA without a title. In GA, all you need is a bill of sale. I live in TN. TN says all I need is notarized bill of sale with a vin # verification form from dealer. Here is the problem: Both forms have 1969 beetle BUT, VIN # is a 1970. Now what? Signed, not the sharpest tool in the shed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mrpinkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Hey Ron, those are some really nice cars. I see you like to polish things. I don't typically like chrome and polished engines but you have made it art. That T-bucket has to have made your hair turn white when you mashed the go pedal. It looks like it might have taken the pigment out of the paint too.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

deddleman wrote:
I recently bought a VW Beetle on impulse from a dealer in GA without a title. In GA, all you need is a bill of sale. I live in TN. TN says all I need is notarized bill of sale with a vin # verification form from dealer. Here is the problem: Both forms have 1969 beetle BUT, VIN # is a 1970. Now what? Signed, not the sharpest tool in the shed.

Vin first three are 110? Or?

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Hey Ron,

Really nice T! That thing looks like the tranny shouldvexplode when you hit it hard!!! Must be fun!!!!

Been down the cancer road....
Just remember that life is a gift. You have been blessed to have known her! I know! Sorry, I am welling up.

Move forward, stay positive and wake up each day with a zest for living, that is the best way to honor someone who cannot.

Keep working on that car!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
unclewede
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

'77 standard, FI. To pass smog, I have to take it to the local guru, and he has to put a working "airbox" on, then take it to smog shop where they get it within limits.

What is an airbox? And why shouldn't I buy a working one and not have to take the car back for a few days to pass smog in 2 years?
Ron G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Hey Ron,

Really nice T! That thing looks like the tranny shouldvexplode when you hit it hard!!! Must be fun!!!!

Been down the cancer road....
Just remember that life is a gift. You have been blessed to have known her! I know! Sorry, I am welling up.

Move forward, stay positive and wake up each day with a zest for living, that is the best way to honor someone who cannot.

Keep working on that car!

Jimbo, thank you so much for the caring thoughts, after 40 years of marriage three beautiful kids always professional careers, yeah it’s been a tough few months. But I have lots of friends and three beautiful kids that calls dad every day to make sure he’s doing OK. And I plug away every single day on the bug And someday it will be finished. I want to thank you so much for the help you’ve given me and I will be asking more stupid questions I’m sure, after building six High end hot rods, I have learned to do it right the first time if you don’t have the money you wait until you do, if not you’ll be doing it again and spending more time and more money.
deddleman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Jimbo, The VIN # is 1102040886 and it has the B6 motor from same time frame.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

deddleman wrote:
Jimbo, The VIN # is 1102040886 and it has the B6 motor from same time frame.

That VIN puts it as produced in August of 1969, so the very first month of '70 model production. I've read of numerous instances where the car was listed as the year it was first registered -- changing it to the correct model year on the title shouldn't be difficult.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Is there an easy way to determine if the IRS torsion bars are worn out? Or do they just break when the time comes....?

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
michemo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

anyone out there who has a stipid ? can email me @ [email protected] and i will do my best to answer u and will not judge u or yr ? i have been around vws my whole life my dad was in the very first mechanics class of vw of america he got out 6/1955 i was born in 8/1955 so u can tell i have been around them awile he went on to be a mechanic 4 vw a service manger asnd a private shop owner before his accidental death in 1/2016 and i worked with him from 1977 when i got out of college 4 a mechanic parts manager general manager and later opened my own vw business peoples car parts and repair and as we all know vw translated means peoples car mike also check out my parts on the samba under michemo that is not even 1% of the stuff i have my dads shop closed last year well my mom sold it for a whole lot of money it was in a very good location any way i have most of his inventory that we did not sell off before we closed
Ron G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I’m back with another stupid question, the fuse panel in my 71 super was broke and some of the tabs for the fuses were broke, so I decided to call the local parts store strictly VW parts, and told him I wanted a fuse panel for a 71 super beetle and I showed them a picture of what the one in my car Looked like and they sent me one and I got it and it looks similar, but the connectors were you hook the wires are different, as you can see in the photos my old one had connectors where there were three together and then another three together and then to two and two. But I got the new one and no where is there three connectors tied together, so I think it’ll make it a challenge to go by the wiring diagram to wire it, any thoughts or help would be great. What I have found is apparently I have a 73 fuse panel in my car but if I buy a 73 fuse panel like this new one is Then the connectors are all wrong I hope this makes sense see photos

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 42, 43, 44 ... 126, 127, 128  Next
Jump to:
Page 43 of 128

Jump to: