Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'71 ' Super Junkyard Rescue
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Parptarf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: '71 1302 "Rescue" by first-time beetle owner Reply with quote

That awkward moment you realize there's blinker behind the fenders as well. d'oh!

Sure, I'll snap a few pictures for you Smile
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:00 am    Post subject: Re: '71 1302 "Rescue" by first-time beetle owner Reply with quote

Don't worry I think I'm one of the maybe three or four people crazy enough to be interested in bug blinkers... Thank you again!
'22 type C1 T-Cross
'23 type AC3 Hyundai I10 (VW no longer makes small cars!)
-------------------------
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: '71 1302 "Rescue" by first-time beetle owner Reply with quote

GArBa wrote:
Don't worry I think I'm one of the maybe three or four people crazy enough to be interested in bug blinkers... Thank you again!

You can make that five... Wink

Are those side markers stock from the factory? Ive never seen them like that here in the states?
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
Parptarf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: '71 1302 "Rescue" by first-time beetle owner Reply with quote

I know a lot of US DM cars doesn't have side markers. Might be the same for the beetle.
Maddel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: '71 1302 "Rescue" by first-time beetle owner Reply with quote

https://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.de/catalogues/Kaefer-1302-1303/html5.html#/880

In some countries side turn signals or side markers are mandatory AFAIK.
Japan, Italy and may be Norway too...
I searched the web for a list of countries where side turn signals or side markers are required but to no avail. Rolling Eyes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automotive_lighting#Side_turn_signals
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: '71 1302 "Rescue" by first-time beetle owner Reply with quote

I've seen before pics of nordic bugs with side repeaters, I initailly assumed they were of the same drop-shape type as fitted on italian ones but now I'm led to believe they used a slightly different design, that's why I asked for a close up pic.
'22 type C1 T-Cross
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
Parptarf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: '71 1302 "Rescue" by first-time beetle owner Reply with quote

Ask and you shall receive, my friend Very Happy
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Parptarf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: '71 1302 "Rescue" by first-time beetle owner Reply with quote

Oh and by the way, I'm a huge detail-nerd too. Love that stuff.
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: '71 1302 "Rescue" by first-time beetle owner Reply with quote

Interesting, that's the same single screw unit as fitted to type 3s. It is present in the parts manual Maddel posted, alongside the similar looking two screws unit (interestingly enough the italian style unit is also present but only in the drawing as the p/n isn't the same) May I ask if it is factory, and how is it wired?
'22 type C1 T-Cross
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
Parptarf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: '71 1302 "Rescue" by first-time beetle owner Reply with quote

I have no idea if it's factory or not, but if it's not, they look pretty well done all things considered. I've been in contact with a guy who's a living encyclopedia of VW knowledge, so I'll ask him the next time I'm buying some parts from his storage.

I'm planning on starting to do electrical stuff after I'm done with the floor and brakes so I'll dig into it then. But I do believe it goes into the factory loom in the luggage compartment.

Took a little break from wrenching this weekend, went skiing instead. Very Happy
Parptarf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: '71 1302 "Rescue" by first-time beetle owner Reply with quote

New day with time off work.

I decided to just plug the little hole in the floor and worry about that later. Over the weekend the penetrating oil did it's thing and cleaned the surface nicely. After a quick grind with a wire wheel, I was down to bare metal with minimal to no rust. On the inside, the Hammerite pant had worked perfectly when bonding to the surface rust so everything in there was solid. The hole got filled with liquid metal and I'm leaving it to harden for a few days before sealing it in Hammerite again. Also going to clean up the surrounding are a bit more just in case.

note: the brown paint is dirty with dust, so everything looks a little like rust in there now. Even the rubber sound proofing. Rolling Eyes

I'm still waiting for my new brake line and master cylinder(Which should arrive today) Meanwhile I cleaned up the pedals a little and soaked key areas in oill. They're coming along nicely.

Here's a shot of all my semi-organized parts, just threw out some old and gnarly rubber seals and old floor mats.

[/img]
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: '71 1302 "Rescue" by first-time beetle owner Reply with quote

This is a good read, really enjoying your project. What exactly is this "liquid metal" that you used on the floor hole? Can you post the name of the product or a pic of its container/packaging?

Thanks,

Víctor

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Parptarf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: '71 1302 "Rescue" by first-time beetle owner Reply with quote

Thanks!

Liquid Metal is honestly a real bad translation, chemical metal is better. Dunno why I chose the former. Looks like resin with some metal powder in it. No hardener or anything, just mix the powder and the resin. Thought I'd give it a go.

It's from Biltema, so I doubt you'll have it outside of Scandinavia.
http://www.biltema.no/no/Bilpleie/Sparkel/Kjemisk-metall-2000019604/
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: '71 1302 "Rescue" by first-time beetle owner Reply with quote

according to the MSDS that stuff is Styrene based. I suppose similar products are available outside of scandinavia; the only part of the MSDS I understood was the CAS number! Laughing
'22 type C1 T-Cross
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
flyboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: '71 1302 "Rescue" by first-time beetle owner Reply with quote

Do you know what the difference in the front spindles are between the 944 and the SB, I had considered swapping to 944 front suspension so I could have teh really big brakes. I already have the aluminum trailing arms and brakes for the rear.
Porsche 914
09 Z06 Vette track car
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: '71 1302 "Rescue" by first-time beetle owner Reply with quote

Super Beetles already have larger front brakes. But if you want to improve stopping power, it might be easier to simply do a front disc conversion. Topline’s setup is a true bolt-on.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Parptarf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: '71 1302 "Rescue" by first-time beetle owner Reply with quote

I think you need the post '74 front suspension for the 944 spindles to be bolt on. But I might be wrong.

For me personally the brakes are really just an added bonus, I just want that 5x130 bolt pattern and the studs. I want cookie cutters on this thing.
Parptarf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: '71 1302 "Rescue" by first-time beetle owner Reply with quote

Got the master cylinder and a new brake line today, though no pics as my phone decided to go from 60% battery to 0% in a matter of a few minutes.

The line is in, though the rubber grommets disappeared into the abyss between the foot well and outside of the car. I bent it by hand and I've never bent a brake line before, but it's functional, or so I hope. Rolling Eyes As long as it clears the pedals, I'm happy.
Parptarf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: '71 1302 "Rescue" by first-time beetle owner Reply with quote

Finished up mounting the master cylinder and brake line. Not super happy with my bends, but they work.

These hoses are shot. Now I just need to figure out where to get another set. I think I'll go by a hydraulic shop tomorrow.

Got the adjuster thingy on the brake pedal loose and working. Maybe I'll install the pedals tonight or tomorrow.
[/img]
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: '71 1302 "Rescue" by first-time beetle owner Reply with quote

I am surprised you got the adjuster loose and working. That must be some really good penetrating oil. The pedal cluster is cleaning up!!! Popcorn
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: